MTS Internet Price Decrease for Bolt and Super Max - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-05, 12:49 PM

I emailed MTS tech support last night. They called this morning and said they made some changes last night. Did some online speed tests and now have a much better download speed, around 15-20. Upload still the same.

Not sure what they changed on their end but hope this stays consistent.

Thanks for your help everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-07, 06:01 PM

Upgraded to Lightning Bolt yesterday, had to call MTS Tech Support a couple of times and after a few hours my line was upgraded. I'm getting exactly as advertised except I'm still able to download at about 20-25Mbps while watching a HD channel. Super happy.

post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 12:17 AM
Rookie

Earlier this evening I called MTS to be upgraded from Lighting to Bold. First the rep wasn't even aware of the new price, I had to point him to the website. After being on hold for a bit he finally confirmed the new pricing. Was put on hold for a bit longer and then was told that Bolt wasn't available in my area, to give them a call back in about a month to check.

All of this seemed a little bogus to me:
The Bolt plan has been available for quite a while, and I live in St. Vital (well Old St. Vital to be exact, not to far from Bishop), one would think that it would be available here.

Anyone in this area that has been able to upgrade?

Something else that I noticed afterwards is that one of the listed requirements for Bolt is Ultimate TV, which I don't have, neither I want. Is this still a requirement?

Thanks

post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 01:31 AM

in order to get Lightning bolt you must have mts Ultimate tv Service so yes its still required

Currently with MTS(All services TV,Internet, Home phone and Cell phone)
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 09:31 AM

Yes you need TV to get Bolt. The Internet package shares the bandwidth into the home between both your Ultimate TV and your Internet. I was very excited to see them drop the price of Bolt, as I was thinking about getting it anyway.

I think the service that you can get without having TV is called Super Max, it is more expensive, but i suspect that Bolt is cheaper cause it shares a common modem and bandwidth with TV anyway.

BTW: They didn't tell me this when I signed up, but in order to get the higher speeds, once you sign up you need to power cycle your Modem / Gateway. At first I wasn't getting anything faster than what I got on Lightning, but after I called in, they told me to power cycle and boom right up to 33Mb - and that was while my PVR was recording a show, so I suspect I will get around 35-36Mb with all my TV's off.

Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 2011-06-10 at 09:34 AM. Reason: adding info (BTW)
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 10:02 AM
Rookie

Got Bolt installed last night (Westwood). Highest speed I was able to confirm so far was 25mbps with all TV's off, wireless off on the 2wire, going through an older Linksys router's wireless G connection through 2 floors to a laptop. I'm positive the wireless connection is now my bottleneck. Will test again later with a wired connection.
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 10:13 AM

Tried to get the promo price for 3 months upgrading from Lightning, and they wouldn't do it... so I'm going to hold off another weeked and try on Monday. I'm also seeing rain in the far forecast, so I would assume my internet/TV will be down again...
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 11:03 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies so far.

SomeRandomGuy: I noticed you mention "TV" and "Ultimate TV" intermittently.

The lighting plan requirement is Ultimate TV, according to the web site; however I only have the regular TV and things seem to work fine. What differs the Ultimate TV from regular TV? is it the HD channels? Or is there something else on the network?

Thanks for the answers, their website is not very clear...
post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

@Mozza you can't get the 3 month promo if you're already on a promo (example: the 4 service bundle discount of $43.50).

@CriticalJoe, you can also check internet availability for your location on the MTS web site. Ultimate TV is a requirement for Bolt.

With Ultimate TV the upload speed on Lighting and higher plans is 2 Mbps. It is lower with standalone modems and Classic TV. The download speed may be slightly faster with Ultimate as well.

Classic TV uses VDSL while Ultimate TV uses VDSL2, which provides a much faster network for HDTV and higher speed internet. Ultimate TV uses a separate VDSL2 modem and a set-top-box for each TV.

The main Ultimate TV features are HDTV, Whole-Home PVR, modern user interface.
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 01:25 PM
Rookie

Thanks for reply Dr.Dave that really helps clearing things up.

Out of curiosity, does the Lightning Max (15Mbps) also requires the vDSL2 line?
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

CriticalJoe, according to the MTS web site Lightning Max requires Ultimate TV (VDSL2). I think the VDSL network that Classic TV uses is configured for 7 Mbps internet.
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 01:45 PM

I recently upgraded from max to lightning max (with classic tv) my speeds were maxed out at 9Mbps. When i upgraded to ultimate tv, it went to the advertised price.

Anyways, just called in to upgrade to bolt (thanks to this thread) so i'll have to give it a whirl when i get home.
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Bunkhouse. I was struggling to remember the limits on Classic TV and I wasn't sure if they were able to squeeze a little more out of the network.
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 06:26 PM

I just went to Bolt last night from lightning and had to call back for them to program my profile correctly. I managed to convince the rep to give me a $17 credit on my internet bill for three months on top of keeping my bundle discount. Their system doesn't allow for you to keep the bundle discount if they put in the promo price for any of the 4 services one has with MTS. I was going to upgrade whether I got a discount or not, but did a lot of sweet talking and was very grateful to the rep for going the extra mile for me as she saw I have been a long term customer with all services with MTS.
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 2011-06-10, 11:16 PM
Rookie

Thanks again for all the info. Called again today and looks like my area is indeed able to get VDSL2 (I am guessing it was "upgraded" overnight )

Tech is coming next week to do the install - Ultimate TV and Bolt. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that things will work out well.

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in