MTS bringing Fibre to the Home to Steinbach and Dauphin and more - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-18, 09:58 PM

Makes sense. I heard that downtown would get fibre first. Also, I doubt they would start with buried cable areas. The aerial plant is most likely in much worse shape.

I remember one or two streets in The Pas where the homes were aerial, but they buried the fibre down the front street! Thought that was weird!

One last thing, for the past ~6 years I've been doing this, MTS used a buried cable (not sure what it's called) that has 6 pair copper and fiber wrapped in a rigid sheath. These areas probably won't take much more work to light up.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen here like what did with that company down south (Verizon?) where they suddenly stopped the build out of FTTH (lack of money?)

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-04-07, 05:07 PM

I sure hope this is coming out to Oakbank.
post #48 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-04-07, 05:28 PM

Is DSL even available there? It's really hard to say if there is enough demand or worth it to them to service smaller communities. What's the approximate population there?

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.

post #49 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-04-07, 07:42 PM

According to the MTS availability page Oakbank has DSL and Stats Canada says the population is around 3000 as of 2011. I was by there in the fall and it appears there is a new housing development going in behind the new Tim's to the South of Oakbank.

As Dugald is very close I wonder if they would do both towns at the same time if and when they upgrade?
post #50 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-04-08, 12:48 AM

Oakbank has a larger population than Minnedosa, Killarney or Carberry and it is very close to Winnipeg.

Last edited by 57; 2013-04-08 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #51 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-04-08, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post
Oakbank has a larger population than Minnedosa, Killarney or Carberry and it is very close to Winnipeg.
Niverville is larger then Oakbank. Would like to see it here too
post #52 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-04-08, 11:47 AM

Maybe someone can verify if that new development is a fiber only build, like the new areas in the city. If so, then I'm guessing it wouldn't take much (relatively speaking) to service the original areas.

post #53 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-04-08, 02:31 PM

I know there was a complete network rebuild in the early 1990s in the Oakbank area however I am not sure on the town proper. From memory, when they were retrenching the cables they put in fiber to the common connection point and left the existing copper from the shared services point to the house. Due to the issues with trenching cables on private property I suspect FiON service, if made available in Oakbank, would be limited to new construction.
post #54 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-04-08, 11:17 PM

What issues? I wouldn't think there are any major hurdles considering where else they've upgraded.

post #55 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

MTS announces plans to expand fibre optic network to Stonewall

MTS crews will begin deploying the MTS FiON Network in Stonewall this summer, with plans to launch new services later this year.
Quote:
MTS launched the MTS FiON Network in 2010 and has since covered over 25,000 homes in Selkirk, Steinbach, Dauphin, Thompson, The Pas, Neepawa, Carberry, Minnedosa, Killarney, and in select areas of Winnipeg and Brandon.
post #56 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-04-29, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

post #57 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-05-01, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

MTS announces plans to expand fibre optic network to Lorette

MTS crews will begin deploying the MTS FiON Network in Lorette this summer, with plans to launch new services later this year.

Three press releases in a week - talk about stretching it out.
post #58 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-05-01, 02:40 PM

If they keep this up you'll be able to create a template and just change the town name!
post #59 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-05-01, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

I'm way ahead of you - copy and paste is my specialty.
post #60 of 82 (permalink) Old 2013-10-04, 11:14 PM

FiON launched in Beausejour

I think today is the official launch of FiON in Beausejour, as I see there are news stories about it. Dr. Dave, if you going to post one of your nifty updates here, please delete this.

I'm contracting there for the next couple months. Already enjoying the slower pace compared to Winnipeg

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2013-10-05 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread

Tags
fibre , ftth , mts tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in