MTS bringing Fibre to the Home to Steinbach and Dauphin and more - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-06-14, 06:20 PM

Neepawa, Minnedosa, Killarney and Carberry will get FTTH in 2012

Looks like they are starting to get things upgraded here in Killarney. There are pallets of what looks like cabling spindles of some sort. They ware working on the MTS building in town. Not sure if they are building a second level or just getting the roof prepared for something to go on top of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-11-05, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

MTS launches its fibre optic network in Neepawa

Press Release.

I also found the following on http://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/mts+fibre+optic+network:
  • Neepawa - Launched October 2012
  • Carberry - Launched November 2012
  • Killarney, Minnedosa - Planning is underway to launch these communities in 2012.
post #33 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-11-05, 06:23 PM

According to Talk to MTS on twitter the exact launch dates were Oct 18 for Neepawa and Nov 1 for Carberry.

I see crews are still working here in Killarney so not too much longer hopefully.I'll be upgrading my internet for sure. Still deciding if I should switch from Bell TV.

post #35 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-11, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

post #36 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-11, 08:32 PM

Westman Cable cannot be happy about MTS bringing fiber to these communities. I love seeing these cable monopolies finally getting some head to head competition.
post #37 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-13, 09:36 PM

I switched over from BellTV to MTS for TV today. I'm in Killarney. Installer was around for about 2 hours. The modem/router is a Pace 5168N. Nice to see it is Wireless N and gigabit. I find the picture for HD slightly sharper with MTS than Bell. I don't watch much SD at all so never checked that out. The one thing I miss is the option to just show subscribed channels when in the guide that I had with Bell.

Also upgraded my Internet to FION50. Just did a quick speed test wirelessly on the laptop and it was 45 down and 4.5 up so just a bit under the advertised.

Great to see some smaller towns in Manitoba having access to such great Internet speeds and IPTV!
post #38 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-14, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

I had a hunch you would be one of the first in Killarney.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSPSlice View Post
The one thing I miss is the option to just show subscribed channels when in the guide that I had with Bell.
However, you can customize the channel list on each STB and un-check any channels you don't watch.
post #39 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-14, 07:09 PM

I've been waiting patiently for Killarney to launch And that's what I've done - just unchecked channels I'm not subscribed to.
post #40 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-17, 02:08 PM

Cory B... you said that FION is avaialble in the new Kildonan Green development? Kildonan Green literally starts scross the back lane from my house.

Does anybody know when they will be offering the FION service outside of the newly built developments and if they are going to start with the "older" communities right next to ones that already offer it?
post #41 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-17, 07:19 PM

If anything MTS will start with the older developments like Valley Gardens or Brayside (too name two areas in the east side of Winnipeg) that have really old underground copper cable (installed in the 70's) that may be starting to have cable damage and is probably around the end of its life and already depreciated off the books.

The newer areas around Kildonan Green are not really financially feasible to replace as most of the cost has yet to be written off and the copper is probably still in good shape.
post #42 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-17, 10:28 PM

MTS's head-end is located right in that area, so I wonder if that has any influence on the decision.
post #43 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-18, 09:22 AM

Probably not, when MTS TV first came in, they did not start in that area but started out in the far west of Winnipeg (Glendale/ Westwood). I live about 5 blocks west of the Gateway Head end and it took a few years for MTS to bring TV to my street.

I thought when MTS TV was announced MTS would work outwards from the Gateway exchange head end and not the piecemeal way they did it.

There were some streets near the Alpine exchange building in ST. Vital that did not get MTS TV until a few years ago due to underground copper cable cable issues that needed to be resolved.
post #44 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-18, 01:26 PM

My thinking is that MTS will not install Fion into neighbourhoods that currently have access to MTS Ultimate TV. Newly built neighbourhoods and rural additions will be the primary focus of Fion rollouts.
post #45 of 82 (permalink) Old 2012-12-18, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

MTS announced they planned to install FiON in about 20 communities by 2015, so that's where the focus will be. They've done 9 so far and the remaining ones will be relatively small.

They bought a small cable company several years ago that serves Altona, Carman, Morden, Morris, Winkler and several smaller towns, so those probably aren't on the list.

After that they will probably look at those areas of Winnipeg that are due for a rebuild, based on the condition of the existing copper cable.

Tags
fibre , ftth , mts tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in