MTS Ultimate TV+Internet Router? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-03-31, 11:29 AM

One thing I strongly recommend is to have the televisions (stb) connected directly to the 2wire with Cat5 where ever possible, especially with the upcoming upgrade that allows you to "pause live tv from any box" as that likely means all the boxes are now streaming off the PVR unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 01:12 PM

I would like to setup a similar system in my house wherein the 2wire is relegated to a DSL modem and all my router functions are handled by my Linksys E2000 Gigabit router (running DD-WRT)...

I just recently switched to MTS Ultimate and the installer setup my Linksys router as a switch and told me that it would still allow wifi to connect to the Linksys and still have internet and although it works ok at times, whenever my laptop goes to sleep and on wake up it has a hard time connecting to the internet. I always have to reset the wifi or try to connect to a different wifi and then connect to my Linksys WIFI before it can get the Internet (never had a problem like this before)

A week later my son is complaining that there is no internet... I went to the 2Wire's GUI setup and it was running SLOW, and takes minutes just to show the initial webpage screen... I pulled the power and had it restart (which killed our TV too), after a few minutes the internet was back... but five minutes later it seems that it is dying again... I have a Dockstar (Pogoplug) connected and figured it eating up resources so I turned it off and voila, the internet was working OK...

So I figured the 2Wire is just too slow for a 5 desktop computer network with 2 VOIP boxes, lots of WIFI activity (3 iPhones, 1 wifi print server, 2 laptops, WinMo devices, etc) and since I didn't have a problem with my Linksys e2000, I figured I should just relegate the 2wire as a portal and have my own router handle the DHCP and local network... How would I setup the 2Wire so that it will not be assigning DHCP? As for wifi it is easy to turn it off...
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 05:15 PM

I believe that you have to let the 2wire assign IP addresses at least for the STB's, so I would not turn off DHCP entirely.

You could probably review the following threads for some additional guidance.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=139298
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125727

Didn't the earlier posts in this thread from Cory B help out as well??

Last edited by Vader; 2011-08-18 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Cyclical link

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 12:08 AM

hey, im an installer. what you need to do is set up your Linksys for DHCP, it will pull a IP from the 2wire. exactly as if it was plugged into a shaw modem. after that, the linksys router will do all the DHCP for your computers,printers,wireless. and the 2wire will do the do dhcp for the STBs. if there is a reset button on your linksys, press it and start from scratch. you will need to reset up your SSID and WPA key tho. this is the best way and this is how i always set up a sub's router when they want to continue using them as opposed to the 2wire.

btw, you plug a straight threw cable into a LAN port on the 2wire, into the WAN port on your linksys for this set up. you are basically using the 2wire as a modem. you can even go into the GUI on the 2wire and shut the wireless on it off if you want.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 02:53 PM

Thanks.... I did that (plugged the network cable from 2wire to the WAN port of the Linksys)... the person who installed my MTS system, turned my Linksys into a switch by just turning off the DHCP server (with a different IP domain)... I turned it on and my network is running more smoothly now... I'll be switching all my computers to the Linksys network and just have the internet traffic funnel thru it to the 2wire... I was able to see the difference as the GUI screens for the 2wire were slower (some PCs were still connected to the 2wire) than the ones in my Linksys...

I also turned on the DMZ for the Linksys (thereby making giving it full access to the internet).. as I have port forwarding on it...
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-08-20, 01:41 AM

yes thats perfect, now your router is a router and your 2wire is a modem.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-09-24, 02:08 PM

So, noshow, How is it going? Did you get everything up and running and are you happy with the service?
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2011-09-24, 10:25 PM

So what I'd like to know then is why MTS wants customers using their own router to make those specific changes, if they just seem to cause problems?
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-01-15, 08:56 PM
Rookie

extending 2wire network with airport extreme

has anyone extended the wireless network using airport extreme while connected to the 2wire from mts?

just got connected with MTS this past saturday, the signal strength is crap.
i have the airport extreme base station and a airport express base station,
i would like to extend the wireless network. i get better signal from my neighbours house. while I'm in my basement i get 100 percent signal, on my main level i get 60 percent, when i go outside i get 2 percent, when i was with
the MTS competition S&@w i was using apple base station, i had 100 percent
everywhere in my house, 80 percent in my neighbours house.

Any Ideas would be great.

i called tech support, they're dumbfounded,

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-01-16 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-01-16, 10:54 AM

@doogman, you can adjust the wireless power setting on the 2wire - use 192.168.100.254. You will need the password which is located on your 2wire.

If you decide to use your own router, you can use the info in this thread.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2012-01-16, 11:37 AM

@doogman - My recommendation is to connect the Airport Extreme to the 2wire by ethernet and disable the wireless on the 2wire. Connect everything that is not an MTS supplied STB to the Airport Extreme. That should solve your issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in