Changes / Improvements you would like to see in MTS Ultimate TV? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Changes / Improvements you would like to see in MTS Ultimate TV?

Hello everyone.

I recently had MTS Ultimate TV installed (switched from Shawdirect).

Overall I am happy with the switch. I love having 3 TV's hooked up, and having the Whole Home PVR.

However, there are some things that I preferred with Shaw Direct. I was hoping we could use this thread as a place to capture things we wished were changed or improved with MTS Ultimate. Maybe some of the things we wish for are already offered, but we don't know about them?

Also, maybe the guys who know Mediaroom can let us know if some of the suggestions are technically possible or not?

Here are somethings that I wished MTS TV had:

1) The ability to handle the SD and HD feeds separately. By this I mean with Shawdirect I could have my SD channels stretched to fill the width of my TV, and I could leave the HD channels alone. With MTS, there is no such functionality. I can change the setting on my TV, but that changes it for both SD and HD, which is no good.

2) The ability to put a "reminder" or "switch to" tag on a channel for a show at a later time. With Shawdirect I could tag a show that is going to play at say 8 o'clock, and have box would either give me a reminder when it was 7:59, or automatically switch to the show. It's not a huge thing, but I liked the feature.

3) Not a big deal for me, but my wife liked the color coded Shawdirect Guide. Would it be possible to add an option to make the guide color coded? (I.E. sports = green, movies = blue), etc.

Anyone have any others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 05:11 PM

1) If you press the "Enter/Aspect" button there is a menu called Aspect, you can change the aspect to stretch, Zoom1, 2, 3. It applies to all channels though both HD and SD. but it is better than changing the TV settings.

2) Auto-Tune has been discussed before, there is no feature in Mediaroom for that.

3) No colored guide in Mediaroom

I would be happy with any or all of these features, they would be a great addition to the service.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 05:32 PM

I'd really like to have an option to access my favorites in the guide with one button instead of navigating through the menu, then have it remain on my favorites after I exit the guide for surfing channels.
Cheers

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-02-18, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks SomeRandomGuy, that is what I was looking for.

Unfortunately #1 does not help very much because I want to handle the SD and HD channels differently.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-02-18, 03:56 PM

I believe that if you choose stretch it only does that for the SD channels, as the HD channels already fill the screen. If you do choose the zoom modes, it does zoom in for both HD and SD.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-02-18, 08:38 PM

1) Colour-coded guides, or the ability to search by genre (movies, sports, etc.)

2) One more HD stream!

3) Smartphone programming

4) Exporting of recorded material
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-02-19, 10:44 AM

The ability to add on an external hard drive for more recording space.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-02-20, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschell_2000 View Post
The ability to add on an external hard drive for more recording space.
I'll second that!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-02-21, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
I believe that if you choose stretch it only does that for the SD channels, as the HD channels already fill the screen. If you do choose the zoom modes, it does zoom in for both HD and SD.
Yeah, and the thing that some people still find annoying is that if you are watching an SD show on an HD channel, you still get black bars on the sides because you can't stretch it (though zooming it might fix it, but then you're cutting off something else)

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-02-22, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
I just used the stretch feature and that is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

It stretched the SD, but left the HD alone.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-02-23, 12:57 AM

1 - Set/change PVR setting from a smartphone.
2 - Stream content to a smartphone.
3 - PC as a STB.
4 - XBOX 360 as a STB.
5 - Ability to add more storage.
6 - Ability for the box to figure out if the overall preventing recordings is limited to over runs (ie 1 minute of three shows due to one ending at 9:01 pm and two others start at 9:00 pm).
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-03-26, 02:55 AM

1. for recording a series, the ability to only record on a certain day.
2. a couple more channel lines in the program guide, maybe 2-3
3. auto enable/disable channels depending on subscription, ability to over ride as well
4. smartphone app
5. bring back colors in the program guide
6. ability to change channel order
7. another hd stream
8. ability to READ from a USB stick to play movies
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-05-17, 10:29 AM
Rookie

1. Guide speed, responsiveness to remote
2. External/expanded storage
3. Access to home network storage devices
4. Indicate movies in guide
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-05-25, 03:54 PM

Just had the service for 1 week but here is my 2 cents:

1.HD channel numbering. I find it is very messy the way they are setup. They should be grouped by package with gaps for future channels.
2.Timer Auto tune. I like waking up in the morning and turning on the TV to a certain news channel.
3.Guide transparency: allow an option to disable a transparent guide. I find it can be hard to read depending on room lighting.
4.Delay in pressing guide button to when it is shown on the tv. I notice a 3-4 second delay.
5.A guide option (by selecting guide again?) to only see subscribed channels. Would be a very nice feature.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-05-26, 11:46 AM

Bunkhouse:
With regard to #5 on your list, if I'm understanding your comment correctly, it is possible to remove channels from the Guide.
Menu > Settings > Television > Customize Channel Guide
I hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in