MTS will launch HSPA+ network March 31 to 97% of Manitobans - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-03-22, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

BlackBerry Curve 9300 has been added to the handset list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 10:26 AM

1 Android device - Motorola Spice and 1 Symbian Device -Nokia Surge added to HSPA Line-Up.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/03/22/mt...d-nokia-surge/

I'm glad to see they're finally adding some android devices to the new network! Hoping for some "better" droid devices to roll out soon (such as the samsung galaxy)!

LG 47LK520 - Denon 1910 - Bell 6400 - Harmony 720 - Optoma HD200x -Pro-Ject Xpression III
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 11:17 AM

I'm pretty sure the Nokia Surge is actually Symbian.

I'm sure they'll be getting a lot more Android over the next few months.

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Nokia Surge is actually Symbian.
Correction made, thanks!

LG 47LK520 - Denon 1910 - Bell 6400 - Harmony 720 - Optoma HD200x -Pro-Ject Xpression III
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-04-01, 01:56 AM

Well it looks like they're still offering the same types of plans on the new network (including unlimited data), but man, 3 blackberry phones and 2 horrid nokias? They really couldn't get a decent Android phone for launch? Sigh.
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-04-03, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Well it looks like they're still offering the same types of plans on the new network (including unlimited data), but man, 3 blackberry phones and 2 horrid nokias? They really couldn't get a decent Android phone for launch? Sigh.
They are pretty much encouraging people to bring unlocked phones from other carriers (especially Rogers) to the stores for the switch. I've got an AT&T HTC Aria on order just for that purpose. Should be here at the end of the week.
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 01:46 PM

Went to connect store the other day, ready to get a smartphone and new plan but just shook my head at the garbage 4g handsets.

Why roll our a new network at all if this is the best you can do? 2 older blackberrys and a terrible new one (the Torch is horrid and Torch 2 already on the horizon). Was hoping to see some Android there...would love a Nexus S. Judging from the response of the guy at the store he's hearing this kind of complaint alot.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I agree that MTS should have a better selection of phones. I thought they would have the iPhone on day 1. Still, it's hard to complain that they're not selling the Torch 2 when it's "on the horizon".
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 02:09 PM

I'm not complaining about that per se...more that you go in and are bombarded with WE HAVE 4G !!!!!, then you ask to see the 4 G phones. I was underwhelmed. I'd like to stay with MTS, have been with their wireless for 10 years but it's getting harder to do when you see the selection of phones across the street with other providers.

The Torch I just used as en example, it's not a very good phone, for a number of reasons, being dreadfully slow is one of them.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 07:16 PM

I purchased an unlocked phone on eBay because of the poor selection available in store. Mind you, I might not end up activating it with MTS now... but there you go.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 05:28 PM

Am trying a Rogers MC950D USB stick in the Morris area. Not getting very good bandwidth, maybe 7Kb/s. I was hoping to replace the MTS dialup account but it seems to be faster than this. Rogers says this USB modem is capable of 7.2Mb/s and certainly not getting that here. Signal is about half way up on the gui scale and Rogers tower is about 2 miles away. Maybe I am too far from the tower?
MTS only has dial up here.
-C.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

MTS has the Novatel Wireless Ovation MC998D (4G HSPA+). Here area some specs related to reception.
  • Data speeds of up to 21 Mbps Download and 5.76 Mbps Upload
  • MobiLink™ 3 Connection Manager software for Windows and Mac
  • 2 x 2 MIMO (multiple input multiple output)- to enable maximization of data throughput and operating range.
  • Receiver Equalization - improves performance in noisy & highly mobile environments
  • Receiver Diversity - improves performance at cell edges and in buildings
It might be worth trying provided that you can return it and cancel the plan with no penalty if the throughput isn't acceptable. Be sure you follow whatever limits are specified in terms of days of use or data transfer if you plan to cancel.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-04-24, 06:40 AM

Dr Dave,
I asked at the local MTS store and they didn't have anything available. I took that to mean they don't offer high speed wireless. I know anyone with Iphones or blackberrys are not getting g3 or g4 service here either. I still have a dialup account maybe next time I am in the city I can pick something up to try.

I am starting to think I will have to take out an MTS DSL account in the nearest town (Morris) and WIFI it out to my location (about 5 miles or so). Would likely require two grid antennas and transceivers... Ubiquity makes some products that might work... Seems way too much trouble for internet service.

Another option is 2-way satellite but it seems to be even more trouble and very expensive... I see packages starting at $90/mo and install fees in the $2000 range!

You urban dwellers are very fortunate to have multiple providers in various modes delivering cheap and high bandwidth service. Out here in rural Manitoba we are still in the (internet) dark ages!

-C.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-04-24, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

@Cham, according to the MTS info that I posted in post 2:
Quote:
HSPA+ will provide improved coverage over CDMA in Morris, La Salle, Beausejour, Niverville, and Teulon.
All of the info about Morris and the MC998D is from the MTS web site. If I was in your situation, I would follow up with the Morris MTS store and ask for the specific device advertised on their web site. They should be able to order it if they don't have it in stock in Morris . You may ask to deal with someone more senior at the store, since some of the staff would just be trained in the standard offerings. You may still prefer to deal with a Winnipeg store if it's not too inconvenient since you are more likely to find someone that is familiar with the product.

Just be sure you can cancel if the product doesn't perform adequately at your location. Also be aware the the 21 Mbps download speed is a theoretical maximum and won't be achieved in real-world use.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 2011-06-29, 03:50 PM

Sorry, this thread has been dead for a while, but I just wanted to get some input and share some ideas.

I upgraded from an MTS CDMA phone to a "4G" blackberry curve 9300 a couple weeks ago. It's my first BB, and I thought I would like the qwerty keyboard better than the touch screen of the iphone (which I couldn't afford anyway). I have an ipod touch, so I know what they are like, and I wanted something that was more phone than gadget.

I considered going to another provider, except my contract hadn't expired, and I got impatient, so I just renewed it instead.

I'm just barely satisfied with this phone. It does the job, but it's quirky and cumbersome. I don't want to get into it, as this probably isn't in the right thread for that.

What I did want to talk about with regards to the network are reception and possible features in the future.

I've found the area that I live in to have weak to no signal, causing dropped calls and/or no service. So what I'd like to know is if this is because the new hspa network is in its infancy and not fully implemented or something. Or is it the handset? I loved my CDMA handset! I rarely had these issues.

With that being said, I see that another provider has a feature called Wifi calling (technical term is UMA, I think). I don't believe MTS offers this, but it would be a great feature. Anyone know if they might get it?

Mods, please feel free to move this if it's not the right thread.

Thanks!

Tags
hspa+ , manitoba , mts wireless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in