MTS TV Free Previews 2011 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-01-02, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

MTS TV Free Previews 2011

This thread is for discussion of MTS Free Previews throughout 2011.

MTS has a free preview on channel 30 every month. If they have more than one preview, they usually start at channel 40. I believe the previews have to be co-ordinated with the channel owner to waive subscription fees. Therefore, any previews that are publicized by other BDUs may be available on MTS as well.

The MTS web site lists the free previews and their effective dates.

http://www.mts.ca/hdtv, click on Features and Free Previews.

This thread replaces MTS TV Free Previews 2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-01-18, 11:21 AM

Anyone cancelled their 3 free months of Movie Central package yet? In the 2010 discussion of this there seemed to be some discrepancy between whether you had to give 30 days notice of cancellation or whether you just needed to do it before your promotion date expired and I was wondering what the real-world results were :-)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-01-18, 12:57 PM

You definitely needed to give them 30 days notice. I cut it close as I didn't what to get cut off too soon. While the notice was in on time, and the service terminated as scheduled, it showed up as being billed for one day. I plan to check my next bill to see if there is a credit for that and if not I will be calling them.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-01-18, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

As I posted in last year's thread, I had a 90-day free preview when I first got Ultimate TV a year ago and cancelled a day before it expired. I got billed in advance for the up-coming month of Movie Central and got a credit the next month. That was because my new bill was already being processed before I cancelled.

I think whether you get billed in advance depends on when you cancel in relation to your billing cycle. Regardless, you shouldn't have to pay anything as long as you cancel before the promo ends. I didn't sign up for this promo until the very end, so I'll be one of the last people on the promo.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-01-19, 03:30 PM

I switched back to Shaw on Nov 17/2010 (for a good deal price wise)
Started the free movies then.
I know the mailings I got from MTS said you had to give 30 days notice to
cancel.
I went to Shaw to give my notice early Jan and was told I didn't have to
give any notice. They would just cancel it on the day I did give notice, so not
to do it in advance.
Also noticed that my free trial ends March 14 (Shaw said it was because I
started 2 or 3 days after a billing cycle started so I would in effect get
a 3 month + 29 days free preview)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Free Previews for Feb. 2011

Channel 30 W Movies
Channel 40 Comedy Gold (not listed on MTS' web site) expiration date unknown.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 07:55 AM

Do people pay for Comedy Gold? Wow what pointless network with garbage shows. Is there a way to find out most or least subscribed digital channels?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

@DirtyShirt, the CRTC produces an annual Communications Monitoring Report that lists subscriber counts, although Comedy Gold is too new to be in it yet.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-02-18, 06:13 AM

Thanks Dave
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-03-05, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
You definitely needed to give them 30 days notice. I cut it close as I didn't what to get cut off too soon. While the notice was in on time, and the service terminated as scheduled, it showed up as being billed for one day. I plan to check my next bill to see if there is a credit for that and if not I will be calling them.
I think this depends entirely on the billing cycle.. I cancelled 2 days before my promotion was supposed to expire.... and actually had a $1.27 credit on my account for it :-)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Super Channel Promotion

Quote:
Subscribe to Super Channel & Get 3 Months Free

First three months free offer ends May 31,2011. For Ultimate TV customers: A subscription to HD Starter ($6/month) required to receive equivalent HD channels. If you choose not to keep Super Channel and Super Channel on Demand after 3 month promotional period, call MTS at 225-5687 (CALLMTS) to cancel or service will continue at then current price. Super Channel cancellation requires 30 days' notice.
Super Channel On Demand is also included.

Here's a link to the promo which also has an on-line form for ordering the promo. You cannot have had Super Channel within the last 30 days.

This isn't technically a preview, since you have to order it and cancel if you don't want to keep it. It looks very similar to the Movie Central last year.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2011-03-09 at 09:33 PM. Reason: updated link
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Free Previews for Aug. 2011

G4 - Channel 30 - all August.

Setanta Sports - Channel 40 - From August 12 to September 13, the best channel in Canada for international football and rugby is available free on channel 40. Highlights include live coverage of the Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League, and Tri Nations Rugby.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-08-03, 07:00 PM
Rookie

SuperChannel Preview

Signed up for MTS in the spring and seemed to get the SuperChannel preview, was not told about it but was getting the channels, have now noticed that we are being charged for the channels. Has the practice of negative option billing not been outlawed in Manitoba (http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=9866)

To me this seems to be exactly what MTS is doing, offering a free preview and then billing once the preview is over.

Will have to call to see if I can get charges removed.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-08-07, 10:05 PM
Rookie

Setanta Sports and MTS TV are giving you a month of free sports action! From August 12 to September 13, the best channel in Canada for international football and rugby is available free on channel 40. Highlights include live coverage of the Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League, and Tri Nations Rugby.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2011-09-18, 07:23 PM

Although the channel listing says Ch. 41 is ARTV, the programming is, in fact, Nick Canada.

Just one of many errors in the channel listings (one that really bugs me is that RTN listings are completely wrong for everything and have been since the channel came on the air - they list movies and dramas, but there is no such programming on the RTN that we see).
Closed Thread

Tags
free preview , freeview , mts , mtstv , preview

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in