Downtime - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-17, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Well, 4 years later around the same time of year, and it's begun again!

Rained a few days ago, woke up to no services whatsoever. Sunny day yesterday, everything came back up.

Rain last night, and my internet/phone/TV is up and down every blow of the wind.

Want an over/under going for how long it takes to fix this time? I'll put the line at 6 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-17, 03:36 PM

Sorry to hear. Copper doesn't age very well eh?

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-17, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

I think the most frustrating thing is that, when I call in to tell them all of my home services are down, they still make me power cycle the router... they need to follow the same order of operations, even though it says in my customer history what the problem was (and is).

Wednesday afternoon is the (first of many) appointment to have someone physically come down and check. My bet is that my services will be up sometime Tuesday afternoon when the cable dries out, they come and check and la di da every thing is working fine... and then it will rain on the weekend again and down they go.

I'm going to ask for credit right away this time, and perhaps a temporary add-on to my cell line to let me make phone calls past my minute limit.

post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-20, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Well, it hasn't come back up by itself yet. In fact, as of Monday morning there's been no line - no static, no dial tone, nothing. Tech is supposed to come between 12-4 today, but they never told me if I needed to be there for the appointment or not. My guess is that they called with a reminder... but then again, I don't have a phone line to get that message now do I!
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-20, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Treating this like my own person blog now (hope no one minds) - no working pair left on the line after trying the "last open one"... so now I wait for a line crew that *should* come within 48 hours.

I'm going to ask for a month's credit. If I don't get it, I'm moving services.
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-20, 05:04 PM

Downtime

You Might want to try posting also on MTS community forum, they got very helpful reps on there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently with MTS(All services TV,Internet, Home phone and Cell phone)
post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-20, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I don't see what a rep is going to do in this case other than issue the credit, which I've been told to wait for service to be restored to call about.
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-21, 10:11 AM

I am going to guess that your in an underground serviced area and not close to your serving pedestal, and the tech did not lay a temporary cable on the ground for you as she/he would have had to cross over somebody else's driveway or the street to reach your network interface.
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-21, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what sort of service I have, except my wiring comes from the pole and I'm at the end of the line (a crescent). No service or calls or messages from MTS today. My guess is that I don't get service until Monday at the earliest, and even that is pretty unlikely.

This is pretty much the last straw, I think. Such a shame, because I really liked having MTS services across the board for the past 12 years. But I can't have it go down for over a week when I rely on home internet access for my employment.
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-22, 03:20 PM

You might get lucky and still get one of the crews that work on the weekends. Gone are the days of Monday through Friday only service.

Sounds like you have aerial service and the tech could not "frog" back to a good pair in a different aerial terminal. Before MTS rewired my part of East Kildonan in the mid 80's you would see lines frogged over 1 block to find a good pair in the 1950's era cable.
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-22, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Okay - the race is on! I have a tech from Shaw coming to install services on Wednesday evening. If MTS can restore my service by Tuesday afternoon, they can continue to have me as a customer for all of my services - home phone, internet, TV and home alarm. If by 5pm I still don't have anything up and running, I become a Shaw customer instead.
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-26, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Now on Day 12 of no services. Shaw still booked to come in for tomorrow. Not going to cancel MTS until it's A) fixed and B) my credits for the downtime run out. Might as well squeeze every last bit of juice from this rotten orange that I can, right?

Such a shame overall, really.
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-27, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Coming up on Day 14 - was told last night that the cable crew would be working on it "first thing this morning" - just came home from work, no change. Still no home phone, no internet, no TV, no home alarm.

I'm going to go with Shaw now. I'll keep the MTS service (at this point with credits it'll be free for the month!) and compare the two when/if MTS fixes my service. I'm not letting MTS off the hook for this one at all. I'll likely be porting my cellphone service out too - the lack of bundling won't make it worth it any more.

EDIT: Irony of ironies! MTS is telling me their "tech is still working on it", even though I don't see a soul out there... and Shaw just called to say their installer is running late, would I be willing to reschedule until Friday?

OH WOW.
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-27, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

MTS tech just rang my doorbell to tell me I should have a dial-tone... and I do!

So literally - both companies messed up, but MTS beat Shaw just by a hair!

Now to get some serious credit...
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 2015-05-27, 08:11 PM

Downtime

So your getting Shaw installed still ?

Edit: didn't see your post about Shaw coming Friday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently with MTS(All services TV,Internet, Home phone and Cell phone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in