Downtime - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-19, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
I hope that you don't have "tree rats" causing the problem because it may come back again.

For some reason squirrels like eating the insulation on the lines.
I enjoy eating squirrels, so I guess it's a fair trade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-19, 07:12 PM

Not sure if the guy was being sarcastic but I heard the electricity arouses them. Sounds funny and all but maybe it's true?

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-05-22, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

It's happening again. Phone line static and random dialing, internet up and down, TV cutting in and out, home alarm showing errors...

Obviously this is all caused by rain. Any rain longer than 4 hours, and it happens. Oh, that and strong wind. Oh, and spring thaws. Oh, and fall frosts. Oh, and ANYTHING FACKING THING ELSE.

I have a call in. Soonest they'll be out in Wednesday. I'm ready to start a pool here to bet on when it will actually get fixed (temporarily, of course). My bet is on June 1st. Anyone else?

If it goes past Wednesday, I'm requesting a permanent discount on services, or a fee-free cut of all my services (including cell) to switch to Shaw/Rogers. They can't seem to deliver the promised services to my residence reliably... so I would assume they can't charge me to cancel everything now, seeing as they are all bundled?

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-05-22, 05:37 PM

Somewhere along the line there is a wet splice or something has opened up the outer cable sheath and is allowing water to come in.

Sounds like the last time you had problems they eventually moved you to a different working pair to restore service. Sometimes what happens is you will be put back on a pair that has dried out (previous customer had your problem too but now tests OK) and when it gets wet the problem comes back.

What needs to happen is MTS cable maintenance to scope the line to find the bad part and either rebuild the splice or replace the cable. If the cable is underground it takes longer as they have to dig in the easement that runs through everybody's property, and some people get perturbed when they see a trencher going through their flower bed next to the MTS pedestal.
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-05-26, 10:26 PM

Just wondering if MTS has got you back into service yet? Its suppose to be wet again this weekend so it will be a good check
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-05-28, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

I never heard back from MTS. My services started working later that evening on their own. They were supposed to come out on Wednesday, but never got any word from them.

Woke up this morning to the same crackling dial-tone and lack of services... but an hour later, they seem to be working. I would assume all it is is the line drying out after the rain... so no, I don't think they've completely fixed it.

I should get a "raincheck" for my services after every shower!
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Rain again, down again. Back up this morning... for 20 minutes. Then down. Then up!

MTS employees - when I call in to complain this morning (the tech on the phone was very nice last night, mind you... but no one higher-up was in)... who do I ask for? Supervisor? Manager? Overlord?
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 10:43 AM
Rookie

You definitely have it worse than me. I was down for a solid hour last night between 8 and 9. DSL light on the Actiontec modem was flashing non-stop instead of solid.
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Came home from work to find everything completely down - no dial tone at all (not static like this morning), and nothing going for TV or internet. My home alarm beeps loudly every hour now that it doesn't have a phone line attached. Sleeping will be great tonight.

As it is, I'm tethering on my phone - the only MTS service of mine that still works.

MTS says they will be around to fix it... tomorrow... maybe. This will be visit number 5 for them, if they actually come. I wonder how much it costs them to keep sending techs out to not fix anything? Maybe I'll call again and have them come out for a beer and BBQ. Seems a waste for them to come for any other reason, seeing as nothing actually gets fixed. If it doesn't rain, maybe we can watch the Stanley Cup game 1 together. If it does rain, maybe we'll just listen to it on the radio instead.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 07:49 PM

Depending on your alarm system there is a code that will silence the trouble condition beep.

On my DSC system it is the # key. If that does not work and your system is monitored call the central station, and they should be able to look up their manual for your system type and tell you what the code is.

Unfortunately they can not enter the code for you remotely.
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-06-01, 10:12 AM

Mozza, I really can not believe that you have stuck it out with MTS this long with this poor service from them. Thankfully I have never experienced anything close to this bad.
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-06-01, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

My problem is - I've seen what service is like from Shaw... so I'm willing to go through this period of downtime to avoid having to sign on with them. But if it keeps happening, I will be forced to.

Got a call - apparently the cable crew was out again today and "fixed it"... got two weeks credit for all services. Let's see what happens next rainfall...
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-06-01, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Came home to no service for 20 minutes, and has been up for the past two hours. So who knows if it is fixed for sure this time or not.

At this rate - I'll start getting negative bills for all the credits...
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-06-08, 10:21 AM
Rookie

Problem fixed.

A tech came by last night and took a look at the connections outside. He said they were junk and he replaced them. This was likely the cause for the weather related issues for me.

He then checked my profile: 512kbit upstream. Apparently you get assigned a new profile automatically in an attempt to improve reliability when there are less than ideal line conditions.

After he called in to the office he checked and I got a new profile with something like 864kbit up. He also showed me the line was good for more speed but they don't have a profile for that.

I'm now ready for Bolt!
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-09-21, 01:52 AM
Rookie

I know others have had weather related connection issues. It's happening to me right now on bolt!

My connection has been up/down all day. When I am connected my Uncorrectable block count goes through the roof. Looks like I'll be making a call in the morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in