Downtime - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-12, 02:33 AM

I don't know if they still use time frames for trouble tickets for customers who are without dialtone. I remember hearing talk of and old rule from the CRTC, that someone who is out of service has to be fixed within 24 hours or the provider will face fines, has been lifted some time ago. I think this is because the competition reached a certain market penetration or something, which changed the rules

I think it's called forebearance, and I did a quick search and found some stuff on both the MTS website (press releases) and the CRTC site. But I'm not 100% sure.

I believe MTS still tries to meet those indicators anyway (don't quote me.) In your situation, it sounds like the Field Service Tech tried to change out your distribution cable pair on the pole (not the line to the house) but after trying 3 pairs and/or not having any spares available, sent it to the Cable department. I've heard if it's early enough, Cable may get to it the same day. I guess it just depends on how busy they are, too.

Keep us posted

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-12, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Well, I was assured that there would be crews working on it today. My wife was home almost the entire day, and saw no MTS vans/trucks anywhere in the area. We called 3 times to check, and each time they said crews were in the area working on the problem.

I still have no internet, no TV, my alarm doesn't work and I can't hear much on the other end of the phone.

The service rep claims they will be working on it first thing tomorrow morning. I doubt it.

My wife is ready to jump ship from MTS now - I'd rather not, as we'd be paying probably double what we are now elsewhere. But this is the second time in 6 months we've been jerked around on tech issues, and pretty much lied to regarding time frames. If it isn't fixed by 4:30pm tomorrow, I'm demanding two mobile internet sticks and free airtime until it's resolved. Fair?
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 12:36 AM

have you tried calling in and asking to talk to a supervisor? that is crazy, especially when phone is involved they should jump on it right away.

post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

That's what the last service tech advised me to do if it isn't fixed by today. But what is a tech going to tell me that's any different?

I wish I had upgraded my cell plan to HSPA last week - now I'm stuck tethering on CDMA, and I have my new unlocked HSPA phone, but need the internet to root it before I switch over... if I'm even going to stay with MTS... arrrgghh!!
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Day 5 update - still no service. Now my dial-tone cuts in and out. Called tech and finally talked with a supervisor - seems that they sent out one tech again today instead of the cable crew. That tech discovered (SURPRISE) that it was a "cable issue" and they are going to send a cable crew tomorrow sometime... which is the same story I had on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

I asked him point-blank if they can even guarantee they can restore service AT ALL to my address, ever. At this point, I'm not even sure. If it isn't working by tomorrow evening, I'm pretty sure I'm cancelling it all and moving to Shaw/Rogers. I'm not confident they can ever restore service the way things have gone. Unfortunately, I just had AAA Alarms installed on Thursday last week, so I'm not sure if they would return to remove it all in favour of another company at this point. I might just cancel the monitoring (doesn't work without a phone line anyways!) and use it just as an audible alarm.

This has really soured what was a decent relationship with the company.
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 10:47 PM

wow my heart goes out to you. have you tried calling in and asking to speak directly with the retentions department. Usually they will light a fire under the appropriate person's butt to get things happening. They are required to save as many customer's as possible. I would be demanding to be put on another 1 year awesome promotion when and if this is ever fixed. Keep us posted
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-14, 03:46 AM

Damn, I was hoping for some good news.

I'm baffled how another tech was sent out. All we have to do is tick a simple check box to send it over to the cable dept

Understandable that you want to switch, but hopefully they take care of you to make you want to stay. IPTV's better than cable anyway

Based on your confidence in the outside cable, I hope they'll be able to say something like "we found the source of the problem and have had a new section of cable spliced in."

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-14, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Oh, I know it's better TV - I've been with Shaw and with Bell. I'm usually reasonably happy with MTS... except when it doesn't work, and they don't seem to know how to fix it.

My biggest problem is that they keep saying "tomorrow" for a fix... they did it back in October, and they are doing it now. If they had just said "it will take a week" back on Sunday, we could have made other arrangements for the week and I would have been better with the situation. What this makes it look like to me is that they don't know HOW to fix it... or worse yet, that they CAN'T fix it. I don't want to have to wait 2 weeks without any services to find out they can't deliver what I had before, and have to book an installation from elsewhere then.

Today is their deadline with me, I think.
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-14, 10:17 AM

Mozza - You are not alone in your thinking that your situation is unacceptable. I totally understand your position and would be just as fustrated. Thankfully I have not had an experience like your's and am hoping for a sucessful resolution for you.
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-14, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

I've had two calls from MTS this morning on my cell - the first was checking to confirm that my services were up and running last night... which of course they weren't. The second, coming about 40 minutes later, was a call to confirm that a cable crew had been dispatched to my area and that they would be working on the line, hoping to fix it by... tomorrow at the latest.

It reminds me of the movie "The Money Pit", except instead of always hearing "Two weeks! Two weeks!", it's "Tomorrow! Tomorrow!"...
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-14, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Day 6 update - my dial tone is on and off, as is my internet and TV apparently. Now they are claiming it's an "inside" problem, which I doubt... but I have an appointment for Saturday morning to see what they can do.

I'm hoping for an entire month's credit.
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-15, 09:50 AM
Veteran

That is totally unacceptable in this day and age.

You have far more patience than me Mozza...I would have new Internet and TV by day 2...no matter what they said.
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 09:23 AM

Did MTS Resolve the problem yet?
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-18, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
Did MTS Resolve the problem yet?
Was fixed on Friday morning - they did not need to come into the home. Apparently they did replace a length of cable, so we'll see if it stays up.

I was credited the cost of two weeks worth of service (approx. $85).
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 2011-04-19, 12:18 AM

I hope that you don't have "tree rats" causing the problem because it may come back again.

For some reason squirrels like eating the insulation on the lines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in