New Channels / Packages Nov.2010 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 06:06 PM

Unfortunately i'm not currently with MTS, but may soon be back with them, so I don't have access to that information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-10, 08:06 AM

I noticed that MTS updated their public web site to include the HD Variety theme, although the channels still aren't on the "Find A Channel" list.

HGTV HD isn't in the theme any more, so I guess Shaw must have cancelled the launch when then officially took control. AFAIK HGTV HD isn't available on any provider.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-10, 08:31 AM

Could be that they just don't know when HGTV HD is going to be launching, hopefully Shaw didn't cancel it.

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-10, 11:43 AM

I found the new PDF of the TV brochure on the MTS "Channel Packages & Pricing" page. HGTV HD is gone from the Variety theme of the printed brochure so it doesn't look too promising.

All the other channels are there, including Family HD and Playhouse Disney HD that had their launch delayed.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-10, 05:59 PM

Any idea why their launches were delayed?
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-10, 06:21 PM

I don't know why Astral didn't launch Family HD and Playhouse Disney HD. In the letters MTS sent out those 2 channels had a start date of Nov. 9, so plans must have been pretty far along.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 09:10 AM

If HGTV HD isn't in the package, I might ask for a discount - my letter says it would be included.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 10:07 AM

That's a good idea, I would do it if I was with MTS.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 01:19 PM

Unhappy

I talked to a CSR yesterday. HGHD is not coming in the forseeable future. None of the announced new channals will arrive till the new year. Yup I still have to pay now. Sadly after beeing an HD customer from day one I was forced to give them 30 days notice. Their reply was less than friendly. Not at all the attitude I have seen in the past. They must be under some pressure.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 03:40 PM
Rookie

It looks like MTS got ahead of themselves in terms of promoting the launch of the new channels. Although they obviously do not have control of when the channels will launch, I think including the channels in their promotional information and online package selections is deceiving. Fortunately most of the channels that haven't launched are in the Free HD section and not costing any extra per month. The only change is the movement of the National Geographic and Showcase channels out of the Free HD package, which is now costing you $3 a month with the addition of MovieTime HD and History HD, although with the omission of HGTV HD. Is it worth it? I think so. I don't think Wild and Discovery are worth $4 a month and therefore do not subscribe, but others may love those channels. It's a personal choice.

Overall, I think the biggest issue for MTS right now is the way the channels are packaged. The HD packages are including channels from all different SD theme groups, causing you to need a huge number of SD packages in order to receive all the channels in the HD groups you're paying for. I miss the "Digital Favorites" package that I had with Shaw Direct, giving you all the most popular SD channels. You still had to pay extra for the HD theme groups, but at least you had most of the channels required already to get the new HD equivalents.

Just my 2 cents.
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-12, 08:46 AM

KBMonkey has identified the exact reason I am unhappy. Because of the SD packages I currently recieve, I must add 4 more of them in order to get any new HD channels at all. That prices out at over $20.00 per month on top of the $135.00 I already pay. I am not a fan of Shaw Direct but their most expensive plan is less than $120.00 tax in. I think that MTS has become highly uncompetative in the HD market.
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-12, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmonkey View Post
Overall, I think the biggest issue for MTS right now is the way the channels are packaged. The HD packages are including channels from all different SD theme groups, causing you to need a huge number of SD packages in order to receive all the channels in the HD groups you're paying for. I miss the "Digital Favorites" package that I had with Shaw Direct, giving you all the most popular SD channels. You still had to pay extra for the HD theme groups, but at least you had most of the channels required already to get the new HD equivalents.
Have to agree with that... I kind of miss my Digital Favorites from Shaw Direct/Star Choice as it gave you a good balance of all the most watched channels
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-12, 05:47 PM

The thing I hate about MTS' SD packages is that to get all the channels I would want, I would have to subscribe to so many packages. I've told them a couple of times to implement something like Shaw Digital has where you can create your own package of 5 or 10 channels, even if it is just for the newer category 2 channels, it would be better than nothing. Another that bugs me is that they count some packages as 2 instead of 1 which forces people to subscribe to less packages in my opinion.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-12, 07:53 PM

Yeah - none of this would be a huge issue if they didn't treat packages as "doubled".
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-28, 02:28 PM
fmr

Those double packages have about twice as many channels as others. If they split each of those in two separate packages to have the 4-5 channels other packages contains, you would have the same issue since they would split the channels in such a way most people need both.

For me, the way MTS packages are setup is almost ideal, since I don't care about sports and news. I have minimum service with TSN and CBC news in the base package. Sure, there is a few packages where I only watch 1 channel, but I have trouble to reach the 9 packages included with my subscription.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in