New Channels / Packages Nov.2010 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-10-18, 11:09 AM

My initial reaction to this was disappointment, but after comparing with Bell Fibe and Telus Optik options I'm not sure we have it that bad.

I did a very quick and dirty comparison of the cost of PVR rental, basic, and the equivalent of 9 theme groups with their HD channels and this is what I found. Note that this was not an exhaustive comparison, just a rough check based on the websites. I tried to use non-bundle pricing but Bell doesn't seem to make that available. I also consider the themes to be roughly equivalent, I did not compare each and every channel included.

MTS Ultimate
PVR Rental: $5
Basic: $40.99
9 Themes: $20
HD: $13 (for Starter, Discovery, and Sports)
Total: $78.99

Bell Fibe:
PVR Rental: $20 (you can also purchase but that is not an option for MTS)
Choice (7 Themes): $62
Guess at 2 additional themes: $10
Total: $92

Telus Optik:
PVR Rental: $15 (I purposely did not count the free rental on 3 year term, since MTS has no terms)
Your Pick HD (9 themes): $75
Total: $90

So MTS is the cheapest, and still the cheapest if we need to add the new $4 HD theme.

I do find it annoying that you need to pick the HD themes separately and prefer the way Bell and Telus include the HD channels right in the theme, but that seems to come at a cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-10-19, 10:37 AM

Be sure to include the set-top rental for MTS as well, because most of us will be paying for the set-top box pretty soon as our "free" terms come up.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-10-19, 11:44 AM

MTS include the first STB at no charge (which is used as the PVR when activated). Additional STBs are only $3/month.

Telus $10/month for a STB
Bell Fibe TV $5/month for a STB

It's pretty difficult to make generalized comparisons among different providers since each situation is different: how the channels are packaged, which channels you want, if you use a PVR, how many STBs you need, etc.

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-10-19, 02:30 PM

The first STB is included in the monthly package charge, so it's really not free. I get charged $3/mo for each of my STBs. If you look at the price between Classic TV and Ultimate TV, there's a $3 difference.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-10-19, 05:53 PM

Unless i`m missing something here why would you compare to Telus when its not in Winnipeg? Same with Bell Fibre?
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-10-20, 09:19 AM

I wanted to compare similar offerings available elsewhere. With people calling this a "debacle" I wanted to see if MTS is screwing us over or not. From my very basic, quick and dirty, non-scientific, simple, etc comparison I'd say we are getting a fair price.
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-10-20, 03:55 PM

Ah, cool...

To be honest most of the pricing across Canada is give or take 5$. It is internet and phone that seem to have larger gaps. A lot of pricing also depends on who is in the market. Telus and Shaw are going at it bad it some areas. With MTS if can get ugly if you are not on a promo of sorts that your STBS and PVR service are not waived.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Updated my channels today - seems like they are not providing HGTV HD like they originally promised in the new Variety theme pack.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 07:53 PM

Did everyone get a letter. I have MTS Ultimate withe HD channels and I never got a letter from MTS about any changes. Maybe mine came by MTS Hot mail and was held, or blocked, or delayed or bumped or ........ but thats another discussion.

I logged on to look at the channels and noticed 2 other things (as well as the HD changes)

1) under the SD Medley group - the channel "CULT TV" is added (channel 327)... but is not available (yet?)

2) under the SD group Super - Global Reality is added (channel 225)
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 09:13 PM

I dropped Discovery HD (and WildHD, I guess) to add the other package.

I log in today to see Weather HD... and lookie lookie, not coming until JANUARY 2011.

So swap the channels around so I need to pay more for what I already have... and don't deliver on the channels I'm paying for yet? Hmmmm.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 09:55 PM
Rookie

Same message for Family Channel HD and Playhouse Disney HD....early 2011. Why launch the channels and promote them if they won't be available for a number of months?

Last edited by kbmonkey; 2010-11-04 at 11:14 PM.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 11:44 AM
Rookie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is AMC HD a new addition for MTS as well? I had it with Shaw Direct, but when I switched over to MTS just over a month ago, I didn't think we had it. Looking forward to checking out "The Walking Dead".
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-06, 12:27 PM

i just watched the Walking Dead on AMChd, wow what a great show. I am so happy MTS has AMC in HD now. some fantastic programs all in glorious HD - yah
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 10:29 PM

I see their website is currently not listing the HD Variety pack or any of it's channels, but is listing all the other new channels as mentioned.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 09:42 AM

I noticed that they don't have the HD variety pack on the web site, but is available with the online channel package change tool (for existing TV customers).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in