My Home Network including MTS TV - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Here is the updated image.... every TV Box is now connected directly to the 2wire gateway. My bluray player in the basement is no longer connected for live software updates or BDLive content, but I never really used that anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-07-30, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Not sure if anyone had seen this before, but MTS now has instructions posted on their site in order for you to keep using your "router" behind the 2Wire in your home network. Pretty similar to what I suggested in my first few posts although they suggest using 192.168.100.200 for your old router's IP address.

http://www.mts.ca/file_source/mts.ca...figuration.pdf
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Updated again

I now have an all Gigabit wired network and a simultaneous dual-band wireless network compliments of a DIR-825 router. I reconnected the Blu-ray player in the basement by adding another run of Cat5e to that location.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 04:22 PM

I notice, Vader, that you say you set your 2Wire to channel 1. How do I get the 2Wire to STAY on a specific wireless channel?

I find that in my building, the middle channels work best (4-6) while the outer channels don't work at all (1, 11, signal is strong but can barely even surf the internet). If I set a static wireless channel in the 2Wire, overnight it will usually set itself to it's own wireless channel. My selection stays the same, but the 2Wire secretly switches to another channel and will post the "current" channel beside my selection like this...

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 2011-10-22, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Actually when I got the Dual Band wireless N router I killed the wireless on the 2Wire... I didn't seem to have a problem keeping it on that channel when I had the Linksys as part of the wireless network though...
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 2011-10-23, 08:05 PM

Thanks Vader. You know I actually restored the 2Wire back to factory defaults (held the little red reset button on the back for 30 seconds until it clicked), then had to hardwire it to my PC via ethernet (because the 2Wire turns off wireless when at factory default), re-enabled the wireless, forced it to Channel 4, and so far so good... it's been stuck on Channel 4 for three days now (knock on wood) and my reception has been good. No slow/dropped connections due to interference from the microwave or others in the area.

Now I'm wondering if something just got FUBAR'd on the 2Wire which caused it to behave like the wireless channel was on AUTO no matter what channel you put it on.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 2011-10-25, 08:57 PM

Ooops spoke too soon, 3 days later and my 2Wire has decided to ignore my specific wireless channel selection (4) and use it's own again (8)

post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 2011-10-26, 08:23 PM

Frustrated with the 2Wire picking it's own wireless channels, I just hooked up my WRT-160N router and internet is working. I have to test my home network next (ie, WD TV Live Plus).

Is this correct?
- I have firewall on Linksys turned ON, and on the 2Wire I set the firewall to the DMZ Plus Mode.
- I have DHCP on my Linksys WRT160N left to auto?
- I am plugging the Ultimate TV PVR box into the 2Wire, but my WDTV and further devices if needed into the Linksys?

I have read something about setting the lease timing on the 3rd party router, but I don't have that option (perhaps because only stock firmware is available for the WRT160N)

Last edited by no123one; 2011-10-26 at 09:48 PM.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 12:11 PM

DD-WRT is available for WRT160N... but yes, you have to issue ipTables command to set the lease connection reset since it will disconnect every 10 minutes...

Ultimate TV satellites should be directly connected to the MTS box, as since these are basically clients for the TV. In my case, I had the PVR connected directly to a network port in the MTS box, and the two other boxes are using the Coax... then one port goes to my Linksys E2000 (which was originally a WRT320N I upgraded to E2000) and the E2000 is now basically serving my local area network... your WDTV is basically a LAN client so it should go to the WRT160N... any devices connected directly to the MTS box should be outside your LAN mapping...

It is wise to leave the settings for the subnet of the WRT160N (usually 192.168.1.xxx) and your MTS box (which is usually 192.168.100.xxx) so as to avoid DHCP conflicts
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 2011-10-27, 04:57 PM

Thanks Khulit!

I had searched for a long time for the DD-WRT for my router and it was always "in progress" but maybe they have one now (or perhaps it wasnt for my hardware revison (2)).

As of today, things are going ok, things seem to be working pretty much leaving things at stock settings on my WRT160N. The only things I changed was to turn off wireless on the 2Wire, set the firewall on the 2Wire to DMZ Plus Mode (which I think is basically OFF), and that's it. My WRT160N router settings are all stock (except I set my own ID name and WPA2 password)
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 2012-01-05, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
Here is the updated image.... every TV Box is now connected directly to the 2wire gateway.
Hi Vader - why did you decide to go this route? Have you seen any benefit? I was planning to have a switch or two between the 2Wire and VIP boxes. My network is all gigabit.

Thanks!
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 08:09 PM

Ah yes, no DD-WRT for my WRT160N (rev 2), they only made it for rev 1 and 3. Strange.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 10:59 PM

jmorgan, I don't know the specifics but their installation standards are that the STBs are only to run directly off the 2Wire. I heard that the video stream has priority on the 2wire, or something like that. So I'm guessing that by introducing a switch or two in between would probably screw that up. It might work fine, just sayin'
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 2012-01-13, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
jmorgan, I don't know the specifics but their installation standards are that the STBs are only to run directly off the 2Wire. I heard that the video stream has priority on the 2wire, or something like that. So I'm guessing that by introducing a switch or two in between would probably screw that up. It might work fine, just sayin'
Thanks for the reply, Macman. When I plugged the VIP1216 into the switch, it appeared to broadcast a ton of traffic across the entire network. When I plugged it directly into the 2Wire, the traffic disappeared, so clearly the 2Wire is doing some filtering of the traffic.

I've also tried plugging the VIP1200s into the switch. They will work fine for 5-10 seconds, and then always say that the TV signal has been lost. I'm not sure why this is. When I plug them back into the 2Wire via coax (as the installer had it), they work fine. Well, except for some serious pixelation issues when playing recordings on one of the VIP1200s, which I may have to call MTS to look at. Unfortunately I never confirmed that the installer did the HPNA tests on the coax!
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 2012-01-14, 12:32 AM

If you had the means to do it, the 1200s can run on cat5 off the 2wire. Very limited though, as there is only 4 ethernet and 1 is for 1216 and at one for internet (included in installation).

Could be a bad cable end, hidden splitter or splice, junk cable, bad STB, bad 2wire hpna system. This is why we have to run the test. Even if everything looks mint, it could still have problems.

I have a weird issue that I want to figure out. I have RG59 at my 2nd TV, which is over an enclosed ceiling. Sometimes while browsing the PVR list, it'll disappear then slowly repopulate. Strange...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in