RF Remote for MTS IPTV receivers? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-21, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

RF Remote for MTS IPTV receivers?

Does anyone know if MTS has access or is using the RF remote similar to the AT&T U-verse TV Point Anywhere RF Remote Control?

I have a tv location that has a coax feed in the kitchen done in a kitchen reno 4 years ago. It would be a #$#@ to get a cat5e into that outside wall with the interior wall covered by ceramic tile. The only solution I can think is to go standard def and control the stb by RF remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-21, 01:38 PM

You can use the existing coax to network a Set Top Box in the kitchen back to the gateway and get HDTV.

The typical configuration for MTS Ultimate TV is to have the PVR connected to the gateway with cat5e and then use the existing coax to connect the gateway to each additional STB. The communication between the PVR and the STB is a digital network and allows each STB to play programs from the PVR or watch live TV.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-21, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks...I didn't know that.

I was left with the impression from the mts connect store I visited in December that all STBs were connected by ethernet to the gateway. I wired my basement reno just recently (now finished) on that impression.

Hmmmm...some thinking to do.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-21, 03:33 PM

The gateway has 4 Cat 5 ports, a coax network connection, and a wireless router. One Cat 5 port will be used for the PVR and the other 3 can be used for wired PC connections or other STBs. In other words you can have a mixed network consisting of several STBs connected to the coax connection and others connected by Cat 5.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-22, 11:26 AM

A fairly common configuration for the 2Wire would be to acutally have your PVR on one port and a hard-wired Internet connection, typically to your existing router if you have one, leaving two ports free.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-27, 06:28 PM

Still, it would be great to get an RF remote so we could hide our electronics in a closet, another cabinet, or use it for 2 TV's in different rooms and not have to pay for another box rental... that is one of the few things I miss since moving from Shaw Direct/StarChoice.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-28, 03:32 AM

I think I heard thru the grapevine that it's in the works.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-28, 11:33 AM

Remote Control Extenders

Here are some tips for anyone looking at remote control extenders to put all their equipment in a closet. This is based on what I've read on AT&T U-verse forums over the last couple of years. U-verse uses the same hardware and software as MTS and has over 2 million subs, so it's a good resource for more unusual situations.

The VIP1200 series uses a carrier frequency of around 60 KHz while many IR extenders only repeat frequencies in the 40 KHz range. One product that users have reported success with is the Hot Link Pro.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2010-04-06 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Removed caution about buying discussion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in