On Screen Call Display - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

On Screen Call Display

According to reports on screen Call Display is coming soon (March/April 2010) to MTS Ultimate TV and will apparently occur as a staged roll-out to existing customers.

Please post here as you see it activated so that others may be aware of the progress.

As of this writing it is still not enabled for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 10:51 PM

Talked to a rep at the home show tonight - by April 1st, apparently.

Was shocked that I received 2 years of box rental waived... he would have died to know people got lifetime waiving a few months back, eh?
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 01:03 AM

Yeah, that lifetime fee waived didn't last long. Did you get two years because you were a Classic HD customer? That's about the only time I've seen 2 years.

Cory, I'll try to remember to post here when I notice it for the first time. And by neighborhood, if I can remember.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 09:10 AM

I just received 2-years of free PVR and two STB a couple of weeks ago. Plus they extended the 3-month promotion to six months and gave me the HD starter free for a year.

They phoned us and offered the 6 month deal, but my wife told them no. I phoned them back a week later and asked about the 6 month deal (since only the three month was on the MTS site) and they said no problem. After that I said, "Sounds good, but I'm with Bell and have two PVR STB. If you want me, you can have me, but you'll have to do something about the PVR and STB rental fee." ... He then offered me the 2-year deal and HD starter.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that lifetime fee waived didn't last long. Did you get two years because you were a Classic HD customer? That's about the only time I've seen 2 years.
I switched from Shaw, but I was a Classic customer years back and left because of the lack of HD. It was on my account, apparently.

I'm planning on threatening to cancel in 2 years once the rental kicks in, though.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-03-26, 12:20 PM

I imagine there'd be no way to feed an alternate phone provider's CID signal into the gateway? You can do this with satellite tv, by feeding your phone line into the receiver.

I'm currently with Primus TBB VOIP service and would love to see CID info on my tv.

LG 47LK520 - Denon 1910 - Bell 6400 - Harmony 720 - Optoma HD200x -Pro-Ject Xpression III
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-03-26, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaywpg View Post
I imagine there'd be no way to feed an alternate phone provider's CID signal into the gateway? You can do this with satellite tv, by feeding your phone line into the receiver.

I'm currently with Primus TBB VOIP service and would love to see CID info on my tv.
Hey Tim

From what I know about phone switches (which granted is not a lot) the call display service is managed by the phone switch you use - in your case it would be the Primus switch. Highly unlikely that MTS would allow Primus access to the MTS TV service.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-03-26, 07:33 PM

I just did some more digging into this as well. The main reason I asked this question is because i noticed a phone jack on the 2wire gateway. I know that with most satellite tv receivers, you can plug your phone line into the receiver, and it will display the caller ID (which indeed is supplied by your phone company). The 2wire gateways are used by a lot of different providers, so I was hoping that maybe there would be a chance that it would read the CID from any phone line, no matter who the provider is.

I went to 2wire's webpage and did a bit of reading and found that these phone jacks are meant as a phone "output" only, i.e. you can provide voip services through the 2wire gateway. So it looks like people who do not use MTS for phone service are SOL when it comes to call display. I am assuming that MTS will be passing their CID info to the Motorola box completely digitally.

LG 47LK520 - Denon 1910 - Bell 6400 - Harmony 720 - Optoma HD200x -Pro-Ject Xpression III
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 11:13 AM

Any updates from any areas of the city? It still isn't available in Fort Garry.

I thought it was mentioned that it would be city wide by April 1st?

April Fools joke maybe.?.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Based on the lack of reports from anyone seeing this working I would guess that it has been pushed back in favour of something else, perhaps a fix for the PVR issue?
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-04-01, 03:42 AM

Dunno. Still haven't seen it as of yesterday (Wed). Every time I test the customers line by calling from my cell, I hope it pops up but it doesn't.

I wonder if it's just a firmware update, or if they'll have to go to every DSLAM to add some other component.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-04-01, 08:16 AM

According to Cory's original post the expected implementation is in the March/April time-frame, so there is still hope.

My guess is that they don't have to do anything to the DSLAM to implement this feature. I think they have to reprogram the switch in each central office to send the info. They may need some additional communications hardware in each central office to send the data to a Mediaroom server.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-04-08, 07:32 PM

I have call display !!!

I live in River Heights - It showed up at 6:00 pm today (April 8).

Not sure how or if you can look at history or anything like that - I could not find any new features attached to any buttons (ie B or C or "go interactive") or any of the drop downs under menu.

But at least the call display works.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-04-08, 07:37 PM

I was just on the MTS Ultimate TV web site and there are instructions on how the call display works.

The instructions on the web site are under "what's new". There is a link under " Learn more on how to use the MTS Message Centre."

The instructions say there should be a "message center" listing when you hit the "menu" key.

I do not have this ...... yet. I will try to reboot when the PVR finishes it's recording.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 2010-04-08, 08:30 PM

My call display is also up and running.

I'm hoping the update also fixed the PVR freezing problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in