Lobby Camera - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-03-13, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Lobby Camera

MTS is currently offering "Lobby Camera" to some customers that have Apartment Lobby Cameras that work with Shaw. I think it's still in a trial, but it's pretty cool. Anyone have this yet, or seen it working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-03-13, 10:44 PM

Location: Saint John, NB Rogers Digital HD 6416 MK III x2, Samsung LN46A530 HDTV, JVC RX-6030V, XBOX 360
Thumbs up

Rogers in Atlantic Canada is doing this in Saint John in the Apartment building I am living in, very usefull.

Rogers Digital HD 6416 MK III x2, Samsung LN46A530 HDTV, JVC RX-6030V, XBOX 360 Next Gen, Samsung Blue Ray
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-03-14, 03:03 AM

David, sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying you have seen it in action too? I've only flipped it to the new channel during my installs. Any time I've tried it, it's just an error message once the screen comes up. I'm guessing they'll have to install their own cameras. I assumed it would be unlikely they would share Shaw's camera feed.

I don't know for sure if Shaw owns the cameras in the buildings or how that works, but AFAIK the only way you can watch that channel is if you at least have Shaw basic cable.

That's one thing that a few people have cancelled on me for. I get it all up and running, and they're like "where's my beloved camera?!".

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-03-14, 11:28 AM
Rookie

My building in Ottawa has it on Rogers. The channel is named "Lobby Watch" I think it was chan 69 before we switched to the Digital service. Now it's on 998 or thereabouts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-03-14, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I have seen it in action, it works well. If you go to an Apartment that doesn't have it available, maybe mention to the customer to talk to the Landlord about it.

I believe that in almost all apartment buildings the apartment owns the camera, so there won't be an issue there.

Shaw may own the digital encoding equipment, to allow customers to use the 700 / 900 digital channel on their digital boxes, but that is usually seperate from the camera.

That is ultimately what MTS is doing, installing a device that sends the lobby camera BACK TO MTS as a digital stream, and then the stream can be watched by the customer that is in the apartment.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-03-14, 03:54 PM
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 25 & VOIP Phone Service.
When someone on Shaw tuns to the Security Camera channel in Winnipeg (channel 777 on digital cable boxes), the digital box is just tuning to channel 117 on analog cable I believe. Customers with Basic Cable can tune directly to channel 117. I believe what MTS is doing is taking that channel 117 analog feed and digitally encoding it to show on their terminals.

Just my guess.

- User 'K from Canada' on the MTS Community Forums
- User '7825' on the Shaw Community Forums
- I do NOT work for Shaw or have any connections to the company
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 03:21 PM

Ooh, I hope this works. It never worked with Shaw Digital in my building, only if I used the analog signal. I'd love to watch pizza delivery guys come in and out...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 09:44 PM

Nope, doesn't work - but I blame my lame building more than anything.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 12:51 PM

I was looking at http://www.mts.ca/ultimatetvsupport/ for another reason and found this under "How To" along with a couple of screenshots:
Quote:
How to Access Lobby Camera

MTS Lobby Camera allows tenants in certain apartments and condos with Ultimate TV to view their lobby directly on their TV screen.

1. Tune to channel 1010.

2. Press OK to start the Lobby Camera Access. You will be presented with a video stream of your buildings lobby camera.

To tune away from the Lobby Camera Access, change the channel.

User Tip: The Lobby Camera does not require a Television stream, so accessing the Lobby Camera will not cause a conflict with any programming that you may be watching or recording.
Update: To see the page use the menu on the above link: Interactive Program Guide>Special Features>Lobby Camera

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2010-08-07 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Updated for new menus
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-03-21, 12:50 AM

I'm curious as to what buildings are supporting this...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-03-21, 01:04 AM

I don't think there are that many yet. The Lobby channel just showed up shortly after the Olympics channels. According to the Lobby channel your building manager should visit www.mts.ca/MDU for more info.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 02:19 PM

lobby cam

Yes MTS has lobby cam solution and it is very cool. Its also the worlds first Mediaroom ( MTS iptv platform) lobby cam of its kind. Lots of people have tried to do it in mediaroom and failed but MTS are the world leader on this. Like the guy form shaw guy said the shaw feed comes from a coax channel but for a telco the process is a lot trickier. MTS managed to figure it all out, they've got some smart cookies in there.

From the MTS web site any apartment building can now request the service
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-04-08, 11:42 PM
Rookie

There are VERY few lobby cams up and running as of yet. Only 5 or so buildings from what I've heard.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-04-09, 09:55 AM

lobby cam

My understanding was there were some trial buildings and lauch is coming any day now. Building managers can sign up on the mts web site

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in