MTS and bandwidth usage - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-03-07, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

MTS and bandwidth usage

Late last year MTS began to state a usage threshold for all their internet plans. I don't know if they're monitoring the amount of upload and download usage yet, but I'm pretty sure I go over this amount regularly, and I've never heard a peep from MTS. But I'm sure they'll be a day when MTS starts enforce the usage thresholds for all of its internet subscribers.

However, are MTS IPTV customers "safe" from a usage threshold?

With regular internet subscribers, bandwidth usage is pretty cut and dry and would be easy to enforce. But I'm under the assumption that IPTV subscribers would be safe - assuming that MTS can't distinguish between IPTV bandwidth usage and internet bandwidth usage.

If IPTV subscribers are safe from usage limits, this would be a great perk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-03-07, 10:21 AM

Last year I noticed that MTS added usage thresholds that were identical to Shaw's. When I called MTS to sign up for IPTV and internet the front-line CSR had no idea about the usage thresholds and I didn't pursue it. I expect they put the usage thresholds in place now to establish the expectations and sometime in the future they will probably implement soft caps.

To answer your question, I don't think IPTV users will be exempt from usage caps. I would assume that Mediaroom already has performance stats (nothing to do with internet usage), so there is no reason to measure that IP traffic.

Depending on where MTS locates the measuring tool, it could be done in one of two ways. If they measure the traffic at the public internet gateway then it is straightforward and everyone gets treated the same. If the measuring tool is deeper in the network and sees IPTV traffic, it would be relatively simple to ignore or segregate IPTV counts based on its IP routing.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-03-08, 11:02 AM

I don't know the exact details to this system, but they can control the internet connectivity from their end, so I bet their system can differentiate between the two.

When I install someone who is only getting HDTV, the internet connection doesn't work on my laptop, even though it's connected to the 2Wire gateway (which the PVR is connected to).

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-03-08, 12:03 PM

They can certainly differentiate between IPTV and internet bandwidth and access. I have a feeling the "soft caps" will become an issue in the near future, but what's interesting is that IPTV must take a whack more bandwidth than a user downloading, say, 60GB worth of data in a month. I can't see how they could ever enforce such a soft cap when their TV division is probably doubling that amount every month for every regular watcher...?

It would also be nice to give their customers some sort of way to track their usage online - Shaw has a "counter" that you can login and see what they have you using. If I ever get a letter from MTS telling me I've gone over some sort of cap, I'll demand to have access to such a system to keep myself "in check".

Also - isn't this sort of the wrong forum for this thread?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-03-13, 09:33 PM
Rookie

The bandwidth usage limits are ONLY for Internet.
The reason for bandwith limits are from agreements with other ISP's / network providers, the TV service would never leave the MTS network, so it doesn't have an impact on other providers.
They can differentiate between TV and Internet, and the customer would only be responsible for Internet usage. They used to have a tool online for old internet service, but it doesn't work anymore apparently. I heard that they have to show the customer their bandwidth before they can charge them for it, so I don't think it would be a big issue until then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in