Recording series (MTS) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-02-27, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
fmr

Question Recording series (MTS)

It's now been a few times that I notice the PVR doesn't flag (red ball in the guide) some upcoming programs even though they belong to a series I record. When I try to go to the program and push the record button, it tells me it's already scheduled to record, but it doesn't appear in the list of scheduled recordings (recorded TV menu/scheduled or recorded TV menu/series).

In order to make sure the program will be recorded, I have to delete the series and reprogram it, which is annoying, since if I don't verify all the time the list, I may miss some of the new shows, even though the PVR is supposed to do the job for me.

Before I contact MTS to explain the issue, I just want to see if any other people has noticed the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-02-28, 12:12 AM

I've set up series recordings for almost everything I watch and have never seen a recording get skipped when it shouldn't have been. The first thing I would check when this happens is the series settings - "First Run & Rerun" and the time "Any day around xxx PM". The other thing to remember is that Mediaroom only records a series on the channel where you set it up.

One thing that comes to mind is that I did see a situation where every episode in a daily series had the same episode name for a week. The first episode recorded properly but none of the other 4 showed up on the schedule. I think it was an error in the guide data. I came to the conclusion that Mediaroom does not record duplicate episodes.

Do you recall the details of the programs that didn't work? Were they first run network prime-time shows or syndicated programs or specialty channels?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-02-28, 07:52 AM

yes....i have had "first run & re run" setting mess mine up too. AS Dr Dave says, check these settings. If you have it set to first run I believe it will only record "new" episodes??

Is that that right DR?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-02-28, 12:24 PM

@tobe, yes that's correct. But there's always a possibility of an error in the guide data that is supplied to MTS. So far the quality of the guide data seems to be better than the Rovi/Gemstar guide that Shaw uses.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-02-28, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
fmr

I can't say a recording has been skipped, since I caught it before it could be skipped. I always use first run and rerun (default mode when you create a series record). I tried once to set first run only, and since MTS did not have the proper data, it made the guide think a first run program was a rerun (french TV show on SRC HD) and would refuse to record it.

The two cases where I caught the problem are CSI shows (Miami or LV). As I said, I don't know if the program would have been missed, but they were not in the list of scheduled recordings a few days before and reprogramming the series made them appear in the list. Both times it happened, the previous week, there was either no show or it was a rerun (christmas break, and now olympic break).

I have no clue if I actually missed other shows because of this. Since apparently I am alone to notice this, I will take the time to call them to let them know about the issue. Before spending 15 minutes waiting for CSRs, I prefer to verify it's a new problem.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 09:12 AM

well I can tell you that some shows that are first run in Canada, are not shown in the guide as first run. Shows like "Pawn Stars" that have been playing in the US and are now hitting the Canadian specialty networks have the US original air date, so they get missed by the PVR is you set it for First Run only.

I doubt this is MTS's fault, since Tribune provides programming for both Canada and the US. Other than this problem on a couple shows I have not experienced teh problem you indicated.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
fmr

Yep, I noticed that also with PBS shows that are broadcasted on Prairie Public a week after the original broadcast. This is the reason I don't use the first run only mode, but stick to the default behaviour.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 08:17 PM

@fmr, as it happens I have all the CSIs set up as "First Run" series recordings on the local CBS. I haven't missed any episodes in the 6 weeks I've been using MTS TV and I check my scheduled recordings regularly.

I think I had a close call with CSI Miami when I was experimenting with the "Time" as "Any day, anytime, once per day" where it scheduled the Sunday midnight rerun and therefore didn't schedule the Monday evening prime-time show. I have now changed most of my series to the "around xxx PM" format.

I use "First Run" with U.S. series on U.S. channels that tend to repeat a lot. In my experience the guide data seems to be accurate. I'm not as confident of the "First Run" status of Canadian channels. Sometimes even when they sim-sub they don't have the same guide data (or any episode data at all).
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
fmr

Just found two more shows that were not flagged: Chuck and Little Mosque for today. They were flagged properly for next week. Once again, I canceled both series and reprogrammed, and all 4 occurrences (2 per show) appeared in the list of scheduled events. I hope it was a one time thing and that now those events have been reprogrammed, they will never miss a single episode.

I don't mind deleting if it's not new (so I keep the first run and reruns mode).
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
fmr

How do you create your series recordings ?
- through guide, pressing twice on a program (usual way for me)
- through guide, pressing once and then editing the program details
- through the menu (never tried this mode, so, not sure if there are multiple choices after that)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 07:04 PM

@fmr, I had Chuck on my series recording and it worked just fine (local CBS, "First Run and rerun"). Do you record from local U.S, local Canadian or time-shifted? One of the reasons I purposely avoided Canadian channels was because the Olympics would screw up the Canadian channels.

I usually record by pressing OK on the program in the guide and choosing "record series" and check the details - old habit from Shaw cable days. I don't usually change the details unless it is a program that does a lot of reruns, since my drive is usually full. If I remember I'll press record twice. Sometimes if I run into a conflict, I'll choose "Other times" and get into the program details and then record the series that way. I don't think it matters which way I set up the series - it seems to work.

Next time you have a missing episode it might be a good idea to go into the series settings and double-check everything. Press "Recorded TV" and "Series".
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-03, 09:38 AM

I can't recall having problems before, but last night my series recording for Lost only recorded the first episode (last week's rerun) and not the second one which is actually the new episode.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
fmr

Did you setup your series to record a max of one episode per day ?

If not, you definitely should call them.

The problem happened again for me tonight, except that this time I actually lost the recordings (did not record) since I did not reprogram them in time to avaoid the issue (Chuck-NBC and Little Mosque-CBC).

Unfortunately, even though I could record them on the HD timeshift package, I don't subscribe to it, and technical service is apparently unable to activate it for me and sales dept is closed after 8:30pm. I'm a little bit disappointed by that.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmr View Post
Unfortunately, even though I could record them on the HD timeshift package, I don't subscribe to it, and technical service is apparently unable to activate it for me and sales dept is closed after 8:30pm. I'm a little bit disappointed by that.
you can change you TV package using any internet connection

go to www.mts.ca at the top click on "Manage my Services" then the "My Account" icon sign up or login and change your packages right there. It takes place almost immediately.

hope this helps
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
fmr

I didn't know it would be done right away.

But I don't really want to pay for that extra package when, in the first place, I need it because their system failed. That's the reason I had to talk to sales guys, according to the TSR. I'll see next time how it goes. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch it earlier and fix the series. Now, I know for sure that when it's not scheduled, it won't happen, even if the guide says so when I try to set the timer manually. This is the thing that pisses me off the most in that issue: unable to manually override a series recording.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in