Simultaneous video feeds on MTS Ultimate? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Simultaneous video feeds on MTS Ultimate?

Hi there, I'm considering switching to MTS Ultimate service as my wife wants the PVR and Shaw's phone service has been nothing short of terrible (no rings, no dial tone, cut-offs, voice mail indicators not working, messing up alarm system). I want to move everything over to take advantage of bundled service discounts and my employer will reimburse me the cost of my Internet service as long as it's MTS.

I've been told by a source (not necessarily technical) that with the Ultimate service, I can only have 2 TVs watching different channels at a time. I was going to order the service with 3 set-top boxes (the 1216 and two 1200's) as I have 3 TVs, and clearly would like to watch different shows on all three in HD.

It struck me as weird that someone had said you can't do that when MTS clearly offers 4 or 5 set-top boxes, does that apply just to the old service? Or is there actually a caveat like that with the Ultimate service where I can only watch different programs on 2 TVs at once?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 11:30 AM

Not sure who your source is, but he/she is incorrect - neither the old classic service or the new ultimate service are limited to 2 streams. They both have 3 streams.

Ultimate TV has 3 live streams (2-HD and 1 SD) these are shared amoung all your set-top boxes. as well if you subscribe to the PVR service all your set-top boxes share the PVR, and you can watch back recorded programs on any tv, the best part is that the PVR streams do not count towards the incoming 2HD-1SD. So essentially you can have 3 TV's recording or watching live tv, and another 3 TVs watching back pre-recorded programming.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 11:48 AM

Once you have a PVR, you can set up series recordings for all your favourite programs and watch them on any TV. I almost never watch live TV anymore.

In the event that you schedule more than 3 streams simultaneously, you can reschedule the remaining programs at a different time on a time-shifted channel or a repeat on one of the other channels. Even sports or news can be recorded and you can start watching part way through and skip commercials or uninteresting parts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 03:18 PM

Keep in mind the timeshift channels normally involve so form of extra cost.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 10:46 AM
Veteran

Also keep in mind that if you have 3 TV's watching "live" tv shows...only 2 TV's will be able to watch in HD (the other poor sucker has to watch SD) and you will not be able to record anything...except one of the shows you are already watching.

This limited service was a deal breaker for me...but other than that...I have heard nothing bad about the service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in