MTS PVR Delay - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-24, 07:01 PM

MTS response...

"This is an issue with Microsoft Media Room and we have requested a fix. There is no estimated date for when that fix will be provided."

I had a network jack in the same room as the 1200, so I unplugged the RG6, used a patch cable to hook to the wired network, and now everything seems to work fine. Can watch recorded HD on both TV's at the same time without any stuttering, can use the skip forward with no issues, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-26, 07:05 PM

I was having an issue on 1 of my TV's all the time and 1 some of the time.
I finally got MTS to come to the house today and take a look.
They replaced all of the coax cable on HPNA side.

The person that came out was an MTS employee. He stated that the cables should have been changed when the install was done. The contractor just reused the old wires and spliters. The MTS guy was suprised that it was working at all. One on the "old" splitters was actually from radio shack.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the update Mike.

This latest info confirms what I have long suspected, that wiring quality is the reason behind the PVR playback issues to the VIP1200.

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-06-21, 09:05 PM

MTS has seemingly fixed the freeze-up issue. At least for me, anyway. I'm now able to do the 30 second FF jump on my second receiver....without the picture freezing up afterwards. Yay! Got a couple of calls from MTS this week, and they've done some sort of hardware upgrade...and so far so good.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 10:47 AM

I noticed that the problem appears to be fixed as well - or ata least I haven't experienced the stuttering for a couple weeks now.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-01-01, 06:39 PM
Rookie

My VIP1216 was wired from the Router with CAT5e and there were no signal issues when using the PVR on that box but my VIP1200 was connected by coaxial from the Router by the installer. This caused freezing when using the PVR on the model 1200 STB. I ran a CAT5e cable from the Router to the Network in connection on the VIP1200 and now the freezing and skipping during DVR/PVR playback has stopped. Why wouldn't the installer just run CAT5e to the second STB? What a pain! C'mon MTS!
Thankfully MTS Techs have posted the issues in this Forum. Thanks for going the extra mile to help customers stranded by MTS policy. Cudos!
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-01-01, 11:33 PM

Their original installation standards dictated that only the 1216 be wired with cat5, and all other secondary set top boxes be wired via coax.

Maybe a year or two ago, they changed it so that all the STB's can be on cat5. But they're very strict in that they can't be wired off a customer's router, only the MTS router. And in a case where there's more STB's than LAN ports, an MTS supplied D-Link gigabit switch is installed. BUT they don't want any internet connections plugged in at the same time on the switch.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 05:23 PM

While it is likely not encouraged, I have had some success in using a Dlink 868L router as a switch and access point. The MTS router handles all IP addresses, the Dlink is wired directly to that and handles my wireless network, and the STB and a blue ray player are wired off the dlink switch. So far in 4 months of that setup I have had no issues....

Last edited by 57; 2016-01-05 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 2016-01-05, 11:13 PM

I'm sure it works fine, but they must have standards for us to adhere to for a reason. My guess is that you probably haven't saturated the network with too many simultaneous torrents or something.

I've seen so many things affect the whole service. Things like improperly set torrent programs (I'm guessing a virus could silently max out your bandwidth?) or a cell phone on WiFi stalling the internet.

One person had a garage door monitor wired to the modem. Whenever their second set top box was turned on (technically always on, just standby) the internet would stall out. I swapped their equipment one by one, but the problem finally stopped when the garage door thing was unplugged from the LAN.

IP sure can do some strange things :-/

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in