MTS PVR Delay - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 12:01 AM

Us MTS contractors have been sent reminder memos stating that their standard is to only use Cat5e for the main PVR (VIP1216). So if anyone asks an installer to hook them all up on Cat5e, don't be surprised if they say no.

Like you said, Cory, it's probably ideal to have them all on Cat5e, but they designed this system to use HPNA (and are firm on using coax for the 1200's) so hopefully they just work out the bugs. Plus, you could only have 4 STB's on Cat5e (One 1216 and three 1200's) unless a switch was used, but I doubt they'd want that to be the case.

Now, every installer is different. Some might willfully take the risk and hook them all up with cat5e, but I wouldn't want to risk my job.

And under normal circumstances, coax should NOT be used for the VIP1216, so if you have an installer who cuts corners like this, don't hesitate to call MTS and complain.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 12:48 PM

Odd thing happened last night, I was able to hookup the CAt5e to the VIP1216 again and noticed that durring playback to the VIP1200 that skipping is working without any issues.

Makes me wonder if some sort of update was not pushed out to address this issue.

That said, if you have both CAT5e and coaxial runs to your box it is fairly easy to swap between them just make sure to power cycle the box after a cable swap.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 09:44 PM

I don't understand why MTS did not contact subscribers about the PVR issue with HD programs on SD TV's. Why did I have to phone them? In fact when I phoned, tech support actually booked an appointment for them to come look and my system. Two hours later, a "senior" support person called me back, asked some questions, and then told me the problem is "a know issue, and will be fixed in a future update" and then cancelled the service call.

My brother-in-law has a similar set up - HD TV connected to the 1216/PVR and SD TVs connected to the 1200 (via coaxial) - of coure he has the same problem - he called - again they told him it was a bug and was to be fixed in a future update.

No one will say when this update will come.

I do not understand why they don't get what they have working 100% BEFORE they try and add more features.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-03, 10:08 AM

It appears that the issue of watching programs recorded in HD on the PVR on a SD TV (or in my case all of the VIP1200s) is fixed.

Late last night is was able to watch HD recordings in my bedroom.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-06, 12:12 AM

Seems this might have been solved in a new build so here is my current system info:

TV2 client version: 1.6.25075.49 (RELEASE)
Platform OS/Version: WinCE/5.0.140
Bootstrap ROM version: 1.1027
Set-Top Box/CPU: MOTOROLA VIP1200/297

the rest of the info is box specifc identification numbers.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-07, 12:39 PM

I continue to have this problem.

The freezing is driving me crazy.!
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-07, 05:08 PM

If you are still experiencing the problem (or think it has improved) please post the first four lines of the system info from your STB so we can better track if this is specific to a certain client version.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-07, 06:32 PM

I don't think the TV2 client version has changed since the Whole Home PVR was introduced. I've had the same version since my Jan. 2010 installation. Telus also has the same version.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-08, 03:18 AM

Yeah, I'm going to assume it's still the same. When they rolled out whole home pvr, my work had to ship back their current stock of STB's to MTS to be re-flashed. I guess they do it that way instead of the customers house because updates take a long time which would greatly increase installation time.

Their original training material states that the first step should be to get the 2wire going and temporarily plug in all the STB's to it so they can do their thing. I've only experienced a few STB's that do an immediate update where the two cogs appear on screen and it takes about 20 minutes

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-09, 09:20 AM

I was hoping that with the update that included the Caller ID, the issue of the picture freezing while watching recorded shows on the non-PVR box would be over. Sadly, it is not.

If you hear of an update coming to correct this issue please post.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-09, 10:32 AM

The issue with playback of recorded programming to the non-PVR box is a wiring issue, at last partially. Both the PVR and non-PVR box can run on coxial (round connector) and CAT5 (square connector). I have had my boxes running at one point in every combination except coxial to the PVR and CAT5 to the non-PVR. In every combiniation except CAT5 to both boxes the freezing issue occurs.

My speculation is that the CAT5 has higher bandwidth between the boxexs. In PVR playback the content is buffered into the non-PVR box in advance of display on the screen. When you skip forward the buffer has not had a chance to fill up and it pauses while waiting for the next frame to be sent across the wire.

As this is likely entirely limitations on physical items, ie the non-PVR box, your wiring, etc. I do not think this will be solvable by a software fix.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-12, 10:16 AM

I get the freezing/stuttering issue, too, on the bedroom PVR, soon after fast forwarding using the 30 second jump fast-forward button. However, after some tinkering, my husband found that fast forwarding using the manual fast forward doesn't freeze up the PVR. So there's a tip you guys can try out. I'm curious if it's the same for everyone.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-12, 10:23 AM

Plum, yes that seems to be other's experiences as well. It seem that the problem is the skip button, and regular fast forward is fine in most cases.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 01:39 PM

Am having problems with the stuttering playback when I am watching a recording on the 1216 and my wife wants to watch a recording on the 1200 at the same time... the 1200 skips and stutters every 5-10 seconds. Wonder if running cat5 to that box might fix the problem? Am calling MTS to find out what they will do to address it.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 09:28 PM

Vader, Let us know what MTS says. I'd love to request the same fix they give you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in