MTS HD video lag - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-09, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

MTS HD video lag

I recently got the Ultimate TV HD service through MTS and have noticed a couple of things and would like some input.

1) For some shows (not all) the video lags behind the audio by half a second or so... I especially notice this watching sports. It also seems to be with both HD and SD content. I'm not sure if this matters but I'm running hdmi to tv (from dvr) and optical to receiver (from dvr).

2) The picture quality for SD broadcasts has gotten worse with Ultimate TV (I previously just had Classic MTS).

Has anyone else noticed these things? Any input/advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-09, 10:34 PM
Rookie

Hi, I have had MTS Ultimate TV for almost 2 weeks now and overall I am impressed. I have not had a problem with audio, and I am connected same as you said, HDMI and OPTICAL audio.

There does seem to be a considerable loss in SD quality. It seems variable and goes from ok to really poor. Seems to depend on channel and time of day.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-10, 09:37 AM

Hi Juicebox I have had the MTS Ultimate for about 5 months now, with 0 issues.

1) I run the exact setup as yourself and BigGuy1 (HDMI to TV, optical to Receiver) and have had no problems with any delays. I suspect your tv may be responsible for this delay. Most receivers have a setting where you can adjust for audio delay. Before looking into this though, it may be passing your audio output directly to your receiver to see if this resolves the issue you're having.

2) My quality of SD channels seemed to get slightly better when I upgraded to the Ultimate TV service - very odd that you're noticing the opposite!

LG 47LK520 - Denon 1910 - Bell 6400 - Harmony 720 - Optoma HD200x -Pro-Ject Xpression III

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-10, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback,

1) I'll check my Samsung Plasma manual re audio adjustments...
not sure what you mean by "passing your audio output directly to your receiver to see if this resolves the issue you're having"... do you mean running optical from tv to receiver instead of dvr to receiver?

2) re poorer SD quality, I pointed it out to the MTS installer (contracted installer) after he installed... he didn't say too much about it except to acknowledge my observations... so I was left thinking that this was normal for Ultimate TV
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-11, 03:01 AM

They didn't train us on this stuff, so these are just my own observations/assumptions:

MTS Classic TV is digital, but I believe the content going from the receiver to the TV is analog, which is only 480i and is full-screen all the time. With Ultimate TV, the receiver is (or should have been) set to output 720p or 1080i.

So if the SD channels are still only 480i, my guess is SD content on Ultimate TV is being downscaled from 720 (or 1080) back to 480 Or that watching 480 content at an HD resolution makes it even more apparent how crappy non-HD content is. I dunno, I think I'm starting to confuse myself, haha.

Since I started doing this about 3 years ago, I've had countless customers complain about the picture quality on their flat-screen TVs. Some of them had Shaw analog cable before I got there, yet for others it was the first time they got to see their new TV in action.

I'm assuming that Shaw analog cable tends to have a smoother appearance over their digital TV or MTS' digital TV, where there is obvious "blocks" in the picture. And I don't mean when the signal breaks down and shows pixellation.

I don't know how accurate that is, but that's my take on it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-11, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

thnx Macman!...some good things to consider...

Something I'm wonderring is if the poor SD quality has anything to do with my signal being shared now with my high speed internet? I read somewhere that with a second tv in my home (old crt with a set-top box) there are now three streams being shared... one for internet, one for HD, and one for SD... not sure how accurate that is. Before, I only had one SD stream with Classic MTS (prior to going with MTS' bundle of Ultimate TV, MTS High Speed Internet, and phone my internet provider was Shaw )...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-11, 10:53 AM

From what I have heard I don't think the Internet and TV share the same bandwidth, someone told me once that TV has priority and there is dedicated bandwidth for it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-02-12, 02:22 AM

Yeah, the TV has dedicated bandwidth. The only time bandwidth is shared is on one of those two new internet plans (lightning bolt or super max, I forget which one) But even then, it only leverages unused bandwidth from the TV for the internet. It wouldn't ever take away from the TV portion, that would be too risky I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in