MTS deal is it really a choice??? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-01-27, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

MTS deal is it really a choice???

So I was at the Kitchen & Bathroom show in Winnipeg this weekend and both Shaw & MTS had their display booths and selling their respective services. Im already with Shaw for all of my services but the MTS rep wanted to know if Id be interested in switching services. So he gave me their breakdown and asked if I was interested as the deal he was offering was only valid for this weekend.
On looking at their Ultimate TV service I noted that you can receive or subscribe to 47 HD channels. These choices are displayed in their HD theme groups.
My deal basically was I could choose 9 Digital Theme Groups at a set price for 1 year plus the whole home PVR service. Ive had HD with Shaw for some time but noted that MTS were offering more subscription HD channels (not PPV) than Shaw currently are.
The rep said I could sign up now but if I changed my mind to contact him. So I went home and sat down and looked over the MTS packages rather than doing this at the show.
Like most people I suspect that we enjoy viewing our HD programming but do realize that all of the programming carried on HD channels is not HD material but SD material.
So on looking at the HD themes there is the note stating that you must have a HD ready TV to get a HD quality picture and that you must have the digital equivalent of HD channels to receive them in HD with the exception of HD Hi Fi and HD timeshift.
So really do I get to choose my 9 theme groups ?
Yes if I don’t have a HD ready TV.
No if I have a HD ready TV and want to watch HD programming.
I know all the other platforms do this Shaw, Bell etc but who else finds this annoying? Maybe this question has been answered but why do I need the digital equivalent channel? Is it as something as simple as that the HD signal cannot be broadcast on its own on that particular channel?????
The HD channel shows the same programmes as the digital channel regardless of the content i.e HD or SD so why would I even watch the digital channel equivalent????
Also annoying is that MTS considers Primetime and Sports Fans in the Digital Theme Groups as 2 themes each which just also have HD channels contained within them or that you cannot get 4, 5, 7, 8, or 10 theme groups you have to buy in packages of 2 after Basic + 11.
Now I know why so many viewers want an a la carte choice if the CRTC would ever agree to such an idea where the viewer actually has a choice of choosing their viewing habits rather than the distributors placing programmes in certain packages that forces you to buy more if you want the HD channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-01-27, 01:47 PM

The reason you need the SD equvalent before you can get the HD channel is because programmer (the people who own the channel) require it.

It is the same with all TV providers, they are contractually obligated to ensure that the SD programming is a prerequsite.

The one difference that was discussed here at lenght a while back is the Time Shifted HD programming package from MTS does not require the SD time shifted service. Apparently this has something to do with already offering the local SD, so that covers the prerequiste.

btw, there has been talk here lately of maybe some new services coming soon on Ultimate TV, any word at the show about those could be?? Call Display on TV???
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-01-27, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

The reason you need the SD equvalent before you can get the HD channel is because programmer (the people who own the channel) require it.

It is the same with all TV providers, they are contractually obligated to ensure that the SD programming is a prerequsite.

So basically any provider will ensure that HD channels that have a digital equivalent will not always be in a basic package which will then force subscribers to buy more packages so they can then get the HD channel.
I dont mind paying for HD channels like Oasis HD, Treasure HD and Rush HD
as they have no equivalent SD channels which also proves that HD channels can be broadcast without the SD equivalent.

As for other services I tend not to take too much notice or ask show reps as they are there to sell the product. Shaw have been promising more HD in the future but never give you a time frame until they officially announce it.
With the platform MTS are using yes there is room to add new features etc.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 01:15 PM
Rookie

If you don't want SD just hide the channels and pretend they're not there as you surf HD programs.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 07:30 PM

Look at what is costs after the promo to get all HD theme groups with MTS and it is a lot more than shaw`s hdplus. And you might want to look into if you need the SD version with Shaw in order to have the HD
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-01-29, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
Look at what is costs after the promo to get all HD theme groups with MTS and it is a lot more than shaw`s hdplus. And you might want to look into if you need the SD version with Shaw in order to have the HD
Yes with shaw you need the SD version before you get the HD version, also the same with Bell.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 03:44 PM
tux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
Yes with shaw you need the SD version before you get the HD version, also the same with Bell.
Not true. With Shaw, you don't need Tier 1,2, or 3 with Shaw to get their HD Plus; you can therefore receive channels such as Showcase HD or AMC HD without receiving the corresponding SD channel. You can have Basic Cable + HD Basic + HD Plus without subscribing to any of the junk channels in their various SD tiers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in