MTS HD Themes/Interests Problems - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-01-18, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

MTS HD Themes/Interests Problems

Has anyone switched to MTS HD service and noticed that you can no longer search by Themes or Interests? (like sports, movies, etc.).

It seems pretty crappy that they removed this feature. All I want to do is see what movies are playing on my 250 (or whatever) freaking channels (yes I have 9 theme groups and no I don't want to check each channel 5 channels at a time over a 24 hour period on the guide screen).

Any solutions out there?

Other than that, oh my gosh PVR is AWESOME. MTS' setup is also really well done. Good on them. I'm curious to know how shaw combats this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-01-18, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubanski View Post
Has anyone switched to MTS HD service and noticed that you can no longer search by Themes or Interests? (like sports, movies, etc.).

It seems pretty crappy that they removed this feature. All I want to do is see what movies are playing on my 250 (or whatever) freaking channels (yes I have 9 theme groups and no I don't want to check each channel 5 channels at a time over a 24 hour period on the guide screen).

Any solutions out there?

Other than that, oh my gosh PVR is AWESOME. MTS' setup is also really well done. Good on them. I'm curious to know how shaw combats this?
yes I have noticed that......I have to use the search option now.

I also miss the on screen call display...I kinda got to like that feature.

I would assume that some features will be added in time....I hope
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 11:54 AM

MTS has promised adding "tags" for movies, sports, etc in time... I sort of wish they were colour coded like Shaw's guide, to be honest.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 01:17 PM

Months ago my wife called MTS and asked about the theme search. She was told that MTS is not able to provide it as the guide and search are not capable of it at this time. MTS seemed to indicate that in the future Microsoft would be upgrading the software and that MTS requested the feature be included.

Sounds like it has nothing to do with MTS, but more about the platform.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Sounds like it has nothing to do with MTS, but more about the platform.
MTS chose the platform, so it has something to do with them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
MTS chose the platform, so it has something to do with them.
LOL, yah I guess you are right. Still I have been happy to give up the guide short comings for the PVR and HD that I am getting..... With everything I am seeing on Mediaroom from the 2010 CES media releases I am excited to see what new stuff we will get this year
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

What is the "2010 CES media releases" and what are we getting in the new year?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubanski View Post
What is the "2010 CES media releases" and what are we getting in the new year?
CES = Consumer Electronics Show, it happens every January in Vegas.

Engadge.com had some great coverage of it. Microsoft had a bunch of press releases about Mediaroom 2.0 which is apparent available this year. It apparently will do things like turn you XBOX into a Set-top Box, let you watch TV on your computer, lets you watch movies, from your computer on your TV (I am thinking this may be Media Center integartion). There were a few other press releases but I can't recall everything they said.

A quick search of engadget.com for Mediaroom 2.0 will likely find them.

After I started reading these I when to the system information on my MTS Set-top box and checked what version MTS uses. they use 1.6.25075.

So my comment is a hope that if/when MTS does their next upgrade it will bring a bunch of these new things with it and hopefully fixs the guide.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 09:04 PM

You mean Engadget.com, I think.
I saw the stuff about Mediaroom 2.0 too. It's encouraging that MTS picked a platform with a future, though I'm not holding my breath for an update, considering how long it's taken to get us this far.
I'll be happy if we ever see all the features announced for version 1.0 at last year's CES.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-01-20, 10:17 PM

Lorne, MTS did an update last October that included the Whole Home PVR feature. A contract installer told me there is an update scheduled for February, but couldn't give me details on the contents.

I'd like to see the ability to record programs that happened in the past, but I think the problem would be licensing. My understanding is in the U.S. the cable companies have to negotiate rights for each individual program. In Canada, I wonder if they would have to negotiate with the production studio, the Canadian broadcaster, or both.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-01-21, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Reply From MTS

Check out the reply I got straight from MTS. It'd be cool if this update happened in February.

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email. At this time the features that you have listed in your email are not available with our new Ultimate TV. We have many upgrades scheduled for this service; however I am unable to provide you with a timeline for if and when the Call Display, Interest Search, or Quick Favourites option will be part of those upgrades.

The choice to allow a customer to use a PVR to record content is that of the Television Network providing us with the signal (It is not that many), this may be a block on the entire Network, or just that
of a particular program.

The USB ports are not functional at this time, but may become activated in the future.

MTSAllstream
[/I]

Tags
guide , problem , search

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in