MTS Availablity - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-09, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

MTS Availablity

Just finished talking with an MTS rep about the Ultimate TV service availability in my part of town (live in Charleswood, not too far from the Charleswood parkway) was told that availability is shown as future and then told it may not every become available in this area.

Has anyone else heard anything like this, it would be nice to at least have a time frame for the availability, already almost a year and would like to be able to get HD service.

May be left with no option but to switch to Shaw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-10, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xallar View Post
Just finished talking with an MTS rep about the Ultimate TV service availability in my part of town (live in Charleswood, not too far from the Charleswood parkway) was told that availability is shown as future and then told it may not every become available in this area.

Has anyone else heard anything like this, it would be nice to at least have a time frame for the availability, already almost a year and would like to be able to get HD service.

May be left with no option but to switch to Shaw.
I have NEVER heard this anywhere.......MTS Ultimate is said to b fully available sometime this year.

Macman, you know anything about this??
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 02:11 AM

I don't think anyone but management at MTS knows what areas will be upgraded and when.

I cancelled my MTS TV about a month ago I think (only until I can get Ultimate, then ____ you Shaw... haha!) By fluke they just upgraded the DSLAM near me. Still haven't gotten a call yet that I'm eligible.

I'm guessing some pockets here and there are either not close enough to a DSLAM, or have loading coils in the loop. Unless there aren't any loading coils in the city limits any more. I read they used to be used a lot, but kill DSL.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 03:33 PM

I called MTS a couple months ago about my Mother-in-Laws home to see if MTStv was available there, they told me niether Classic or Ultimate was available. When I asked when it would be they said that area was not scheduled at this time. They did tell me that they do not cover 100% of Winnipeg with Classic, that some areas are too far and have too few houses to cover using current technology.

So it may be the case that MTS can't get everywhere with Ultimate TV as well.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the comments, I already have the MTS Classic service and in the past have been told that the Advance service would be available in the new year (now). Have been waiting for the HD and PVR features but now not sure if I should wait any longer.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 11:28 PM

I noticed MTS was dropping cable along Gateway today... Elmwoodians could be in for an upgrade soon...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 06:54 PM
mth

sooooooo. It merely depends on how the Fiber Optics are layed in your area. In my area, most have but for example my next door neighbour cant have it. That is for classic. The ultimate service - GREAT!! should be available everywhere as it merely requires a phone line - all they do is create a jack directly from where the lines break up in the basement!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-13, 02:18 PM

Unless I am majorly mistaken, Ultimate tv is not just run over any phoneline, you still need to be in an area that is serviced by their VDSL (aka high speed internet) coverage.

When they were doing the Classic build out they were installing new, large green utility boxes in a lot of neighbourhoods. If you have been in one long term and have one of those, or are currently able to receive Classic tv, you should eventually be eligible for Ultimate tv.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 03:16 AM

Yeah, you have to be in a service area that MTS has upgraded the DSLAM cabinet with VDSL2 cards. I think they implemented "remote DSLAM" cabinets when Classic TV first came out (2003-ish), probably because VDSL is only good for about 1000m from the source.

Before that, their ADSL internet used to just come straight out of the CO's, which looking back now seems pretty impressive that they were able to get it to travel THAT far. But I guess since their original broadband internet was only 1 Meg, the signal strength wasn't that critical

Stuff on the 'net says that VDSL2 is similar to ADSL, in that it's longer reaching compared to VDSL. This would explain why the 2Wire gateway's sync up at 35 Mbps 99% of the time, even on longer loops. Can't wait to see what my line will be capable of, being 850m on 26 gauge wire.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 10:30 PM

I Called Today to see if the Ultimate Tv service was available in my Area, I was shocked to know that it was not since I am sure there are a tone of houses in the area that have HD tv's. I live in Tuxedo but also hear Charleswood also does not have it yet
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 10:17 AM

For those who may not know, MTS has a eligiblity page that you can put in your phone number and it will tell you if service is available or will be soon.

http://www.mts.ca/portal/site/mts/ul...002a040f0aRCRD
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 07:39 PM

I tried that before calling and it stated it looks like are eligibility, but when I called they said no.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgDan View Post
I tried that before calling and it stated it looks like are eligibility, but when I called they said no.
well that means they are in our area at least.... Have you tried putting in one of your neighbours phone numbers to see if they are eligible? maybe you are only a house or two way. If so you might want to see if they can do a test on your line to see why you are not eligible.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-23, 09:31 PM

Funny - I'm able to get MTS internet in my building, but I cant even get classic tv here. Is the initial infrastructure expensive?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-31, 01:56 AM

A tech had to come out to troubleshoot one of my installations, and I asked him some stuff about VDSL2, and apparently they only consider the usable range of VDSL2 to under 1000 metres. I read a bunch of stuff on the net that it was a long reaching technology, but that the fastest speeds are only achieved on short loops.

So I guess I assumed wrong. Oh well. I sure hope they can have me on the highest line profile when I do get it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in