Anyone here with MTS Ultimate TV + Lightining, Lightning+ or Lighting Super Max? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2009-12-29, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Anyone here with MTS Ultimate TV + Lightining, Lightning+ or Lighting Super Max?

Those with MTS Ultimate TV and one of the Lightning plans listed in the title and a few minutes to spare, can you please run some speedtests with speedtest.net to the following servers, and one pingtest.net test.

-Brandon, CAN*
-Edmonton, CAN
-Calgary, CAN (Pingtest.net to this server please)
-Chicago, USA
-Wellington, NZ

*Most important one

And some traceroutes to "79.110.88.28" and a few other servers of your choice, please use the "tracert" command in Windows Command Prompt. Latency through the MTS network (should be the first 2 hops ending with .mts.net) is of biggest concern in this test.

Thank you & happy New Year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2009-12-30, 02:50 PM

I have Ultimate TV with Lightning Internet.

SpeedTest.Net
Brandon:

Edmonton:

Calgary:
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2009-12-30, 02:51 PM

SpeedTest.Net
Chicago:

Wellington:

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2009-12-30, 02:51 PM

PingTest.Net
Calgary:

Chicago:

TraceRoute
<1 ms <1 ms <1 ms
21 ms 21 ms 20 ms
21 ms 20 ms 20 ms

www.microsoft.com
<1 ms <1 ms <1 ms
21 ms 20 ms 22 ms
52 ms 23 ms 23 ms

www.apple.com
<1 ms <1 ms <1 ms
38 ms 20 ms 20 ms
22 ms 20 ms 20 ms
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2009-12-30, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you very much! I see the STB still adds that latency.. I hope it at least isn't going to spike all over the place:/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2009-12-30, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

One more question sctb1, I hear there is supposed to be no PPPoE logging in when using Ultimate TV as its always on. Any truth to this? On Jan 7 we get Ultimate installed in hope for it to bring my speeds back without the latency (yes we are very close to the DSLAM).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-01-03, 03:04 PM

Just had MTS whole home package installed in Brandon. No logging in - just like a cable modem. Speeds are OK, but there are some latency issues that probably have to do with the STB. My kids complain sometimes about lots of lag playing WOW, but I think that has more to do with them using a wireless adapter that isn't supported by the mfg anymore and needing off-brand drivers for it. There is usually no problems on a hard-wired system.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-01-03, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

When you have time can you do a wired connection tracert to any server in command prompt and show me the latency through MTS network? It should be the first 2 hops after your router.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-01-04, 04:05 AM

What do you mean by the STB causing latency? Is your internet hooked up through a VIP1200 STB? If so, that isn't supposed to be like that. I hope the installer didn't do it that way, because that's wrong. It does work, but they are saying it may cause problems, so their standards are to run a cat5 from the 2wire RG to the computer (or existing router if it's being reused).

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-01-04, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Allow me to explain, when we got MTS on Dec 1 we got phone, TV and internet all at once. The internet was connected like so:

STB(RG2400) -> Cat 5 -> PC

With this setup I was getting my 7Mbps/2Mbps* like I should, our SNR margin/Attenuation was excellent, says MTS. With my internet going through the RG2400 I kept getting poor latency as shown here:

*Upstream randomly and frequently dropped from 1.8Mbps to 0.9Mbps.

Notice the constant elevated ping of 25ms and the constant spikes to ridiculous levels on what I think is a backbone router, the constant higher ping of 25ms sent all pings to anything ranging from 50ms-200ms higher than Shaw, many things I could once do are now impossible.

It took 2 weeks of constant complaining to get the delinked line that I currently have as I type this. The modem is an Actiontec GT701D and with this delinked line I finally get good latency, especially through MTS's network. See below:

Based on what I see over the net with people that have any kind of STB and internet, that latency is back, the extra 20ms thrown into the MTS network, and most likely the spikes too, as those spikes disappeared soon as I got the delinked line. With the delinked line my latency is normal, but speed dropped, 7Mbps/1.8Mbps turned into 6.4Mbps/0.43Mbps, and on Dec 31 my speed dropped even more out of no where to a 3Mb profile. SNR margins and attenuation were always fine at 7Mbps down.. being 12/24 SNR and 12/7 attenuation. Upload was always at 512Kbps with the delinked line, another issue on it's own.. Jan 5 someone comes down for the famous "link check" that always results in nothing getting done, Jan 7 we get Classic TV replaced with Ultimate, i'm not convinced its going to give me my speed back without that horrible latency.

Since internet with Ultimate TV isn't PPPoE anymore, is the internet DHCP based? Please excuse my frustration, the last 33 days have been internet torture.

Last edited by cloudstrife46; 2010-01-04 at 06:02 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-01-05, 01:45 AM

Sucks to hear. I had mine moved to a delinked line, and same thing: it started out at a 5 Mb profile (which I now know they increased their ADSL to be capable of a 7 Mb profile) but sometime later (days or weeks, I forget) it dropped to a 3 Mb profile.

I called the internal department, as I often call them anyway, and start telling them my delink phone number. They say "there's no such profile". So I guess when the tech put it in, he just hooked it up to an ADSL port but failed to have it added to their system. So I guess their modems are capable of sync'ing up on any ADSL port, but are restricted to a 3 Mb profile unless it's put into the system as an actual customer. So I finally get the 7 Mb profile, but shortly after decided to switch to Shaw. Wife got impatient and wanted a PVR badly!

We aren't impressed with Shaw's PVR at ALL! Poor menu system/navigation, PVR skips/repeats while fast forwarding, and so on. Can't wait to find out that I'm eligible for MTS Ultimate!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-01-07, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Finally making some progress, got my 7Mbps/2Mbps back without the latency spikes, so far, few things went up by 10ms, majority of servers dropped by over 75ms. We had massive troubles with the IPTV as it was being setup, we got new jacks and wires all over the house (several incorrect wiring was found throughout our unit, not really "old" but just the wrong type, the splice over splice over splice of wire in the basement was also cleaned up). We got the 2Wire 3800HGV-B gateway which was failing to sync at all for 4 hours, few more hours after the tech left suddenly it sync'd and the broadband light went solid green as well as the internet light.

The technician will be back tomorrow morning to connect the TV (I could probably do that but i'll leave it) and do some more line replacing in the building, we both believe the problem is line attenuation spikes.

Now i'm hoping when the TV is connected as well the latency don't go up.. anyway does anyone know the default password for the 2Wire 3800HGV-B? I have my own D-Link DIR-825 router I recently got and I highly prefer to use it over the 2Wire for all sorts of reasons, I can view some details about the 2Wire but need a password for the good stuff such as firewall access and what not.

This technician is by far the best tech I ever seen from MTS, polite and has know how about the service he is installing.

Quoted from him: "yeah latency spiking like that is crap, regardless what our tech support says. I looked at your account history and saw you are having problems left and right with internet as well as multiple appointments that never got put through. Tell me every problem you been having and we're going to get to the bottom of this, emails have been sent out and my boss has been notified. I'm going to make sure we get you HDTV without internet latency suffering like that, because that is NOT normal at all."

I'm hesitating to ask the tech for the password because... I don't even know why..
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-01-08, 11:41 AM

The password is one of the numbers on the sticker on the gateway. I can't remember which one (I'm at work) but it should be easy to figure out.

Good to see things are getting better.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2010-01-08, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, got the 2Wire password. He came back this morning with another tech, which luckily, was also very nice and had plenty of know how about their service. Our building has multiple "incoming circuits", can't remember the exact words the techs used, but the one we were on was an older one and was overloaded as is so we got switched over and the 2Wire sync'd in about 25 seconds, also at 35Mbps profile, previously it was sweating to get a connection at 28Mbps profile.

My latency spiking problem has vanished for the first time ever, though they are slightly higher than the delinked line (5-9ms higher) they are stable and decent. Getting 6.8Mbps/1.86Mbps, its mostly stable there. SNR margin of 18.5dB and attenuation of 17dB.

Both of these techs get 5 stars, a first from me for anything MTS related. If they use this forum they know who they are, our line wasn't prepared properly what so ever from the beginning which the rest of MTS refused to fix. Hopefully all remains ok for the remaining 11 months, which internet will be switched back to Shaw after unless MTS finds a way to stick powerboost in with DSL. MTS as a whole still gets 1/5 from me, only way that will change is if they find more techs like these two.

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in