How much bandwidth does MTS Ultimate TV uses? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-19, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

How much bandwidth does MTS Ultimate TV uses?

Hello, I've got the MTS Ultimate TV service with PVR. I was wondering how much bandwidth the TV service uses when all of the streams are in use. I'm asking it because we are thinking of upgrading our Internet connection, and some plans shares the bandwidth between the TVs and everything else. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-20, 12:10 AM

I think that's only the case with the 32 Mbps plan. I'm not sure how much bandwidth is used, but I'm guessing that it's continuously variable depending on content being watched

If you press "menu" and go to "settings" there is one screen that has a whack of info on it, I forget which one. I believe it has the bandwidth shown there.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-20, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

I found something under System Information, and went to the network info page, I found something called "Bps" with a number right beside it, it that the amount of bandwidth being used by the box?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-20, 03:19 AM

Possibly... What are the numbers? And are they the same across all your TVs?

If it's a large number, this is often what people convert to Kbps (Kilo=thousand) or Mbps (Mega=million)

The new Ultimate service usually connects to the DSLAM at 35000 Down/2040 Up (except the rare instance I've seen slightly lower downstream) so I'm thinking that's why they don't advertise it as "35 Mbps shared internet" plans. 32 Meg must be the highest stable speed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-20, 11:39 AM

that info (35000/2040) is on the 2wire page correct? not the set top box info page....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-20, 02:13 PM

Yep, the "Broadband link" page. I was just mentioning that to give an idea of total bandwidth. I really have no idea how much each "stream" uses. I'm assuming if it's true IPTV, that its variable. The old Classic system was 5 Meg continuous.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-20, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to contact MTS tomorrow to see how much bandwidth Ultimate TV uses.

P.S. The Lightning MAX plan also uses variable bandwidth. http://www.mts.ca/hsiwsc/Consumer_HSI.html. Look at the stars beside the bandwidth.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I have contacted MTS today, and found out that if all the streams are used by MTS Ultimate TV to the max, it uses up to 22 Mbps.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 09:04 PM

Good to know. I actually went into the menu's (Menu, settings, general, system something or other) and found a "bps" of 3,XXX,XXX I think. So I don't know if that was the actual bits being used at that moment or what.

Anyway, I was excited to see the team FINALLY upgrading the DSLAM in my neighborhood. Hopefully won't be long til they activate it and I can do my own install
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-22, 10:38 AM

Interesting, if the TV uses 22Mbps and internet has 7Mbps and we are getting 35Mbps down, what is the extra 6Mbps being used for?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2009-12-22, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Interesting, if the TV uses 22Mbps and internet has 7Mbps and we are getting 35Mbps down, what is the extra 6Mbps being used for?
Well, I get 8Mbps down... so I would assume the extra 5Mbps is overhead, or something they can charge $10 more a month for.

Tags
mts internet speed , mtstv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in