What modem does MTS use? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

What modem does MTS use?

On the 21st MTS is supposed to come and install a dedicated line for the internet, as a last resort (I almost had to demand) to fix my problem with their service. I would like to know what modem MTS is using currently, and if filters for the phones in the place are needed. We have classic TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 03:58 AM

Their latest units are Actiontec's GT701D. If they are doing a dedicated line it probably won't be necessary to have any DSL filters as it won't be connected to any other jacks in your home.

They call dedicated lines without voice a "delinked" line. It's a dummy line that will have dialtone and a phone number assigned to it for their records, but if you try and dial out on it, it just says "thank you for calling MTS".

If it's an MTS tech and not a contractor, ask them if they can call in to have it set to 7 Meg (Mbps). Their modems can "sync up" anywhere between like 3-7 Mbps, IIRC. If it's only at 3, it's still within their specs but obviously your speeds will suck.

When I had mine, it started out at 5 Mbps, and after a while dropped down to 3 Mbps. I think it was because the tech that put my dedicated line it didn't call the proper department to update their system, so at some point it re-established to the minimum speed. I have an idea why, but I don't know if I should say here.

They are phasing out their old modems, and will be reallocating them to rural communities. These new modems support the new ADSL2+ technology, so if you ever want a plan faster than Lightning (which is rated "up to" 7 Mbps) it will be capable of reaching those speeds. I think some of their older modems had a theoretical max of 8 Mbps, whereas the new ones are rated to 24 Mbps AFAIK.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Nice looking modem.. since my downstream is the only part of this service that isn't driving me nuts I will be making sure it remains at 7Mbps and not drop.. my problem is latency, and recently, upstream based as well.

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in