MTS from SHAW - Likes & Dislikes - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 03:49 PM

As far as I have heard, we might see it next summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 07:32 PM

It would be nice if MTS gave us a detailed Manual like the link you gave......
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-12, 12:59 AM

I hand out a User Guide with every install I do. That and a channel brochure.

Here's some stuff on their website:

http://www.mts.ca/portal/site/mts/me...002a040f0aRCRD

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-12, 03:22 AM

My MTS guy did give me that book, but the Uverse page and site really out does MTS.

Thanks for the link Macman!
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 02:33 AM
Rookie

I have had the MTS HD TV for about a week.

TV/HD/System

+Interface - slicker than Shaw's.
+Can search by actor
+Can watch recorded shows on other TV
+Extra $ for time shift channels
-Missing quick view by Category Sports, Comedy, Action etc
-No channel or time display on the front of system
-No display of total storage used/remaining

Internet
+Free wireless router
-Slower D/L speeds average 6mbps vs +20mbps on Shaw
-Terrible connection - signal drops, unreliable! Constant reseting of the router in order for it to work.

Customer Service - Tech
+ Friendly, knowledgeable staff
-Long, long wait times - called MTS more this past week than I have called Shaw in the 4 years I have had them.

Phone
=Same as Shaw

So far pleased with the bundle, not a fan of the internet at all. For the price I am paying it is a good deal, but not sure how long I can deal with the poor internet service.
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
I have had the MTS HD TV for about a week.

TV/HD/System

+Interface - slicker than Shaw's.
+Can search by actor
+Can watch recorded shows on other TV
+Extra $ for time shift channels
-Missing quick view by Category Sports, Comedy, Action etc
-No channel or time display on the front of system
-No display of total storage used/remaining

Internet
+Free wireless router
-Terrible connection - signal drops, unreliable! Constant reseting of the router in order for it to work.

Customer Service - Tech
+ Friendly, knowledgeable staff
-Long, long wait times - called MTS more this past week than I have called Shaw in the 4 years I have had them.

Phone
=Same as Shaw

So far pleased with the bundle, not a fan of the internet at all. For the price I am paying it is a good deal, but not sure how long I can deal with the poor internet service.
lowkey,

To check the amount of space left on your DVR.

press menu.

Go to Settings.

press General.

press System Information

Go to System Resources.

Look at the bottom of the page. It'll tell the % of space remaining.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 10:27 AM

and call about the internet...my speed went up after install and I never get drop outs. This is what is makes MTS better than shaw (for internet) Guaranteed speed no matter what time of day/.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
When you talk about resetting the router, are you referring to the MTS gateway? If so, is it wireless or wired that stops working? Does your TV stop working? If your TV stops working, then it's obviously an MTS issue. If it is just internet, it sounds like it could be a configuration issue at your end.

As far as speed goes, you've got MTS Lightning which is rated at 7 Mbps. I expect if you want MTS Lightning MAX at 15 Mbps, they would charge you an extra $10/month. It sounds like you had Shaw Extreme which is 15 Mbps. I've got Shaw High-Speed which is rated at 7.5 Mbps and that's about what I get.

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 12:54 PM

yes I forgot to ask what plan he was on ..........I pay for the 15mbs speed.

For an extra 30 bucks I can get up to 32mbs.....I am considering it........

I have yet to actually get 15mbs, but close.

post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-13, 02:19 PM

You know what's interesting, I did a Classic install two days ago, and that customer was getting about 8.2 Mbps/1.6Mbps with the service set at 26 Mbps.

I think Classic must get slightly higher speeds because the service is running "all out" when at 26 Meg. 5 meg x 3 tv streams=15 meg. Whatever is leftover is for internet.

The Ultimate gateway sync's at 35 Mbps 99% of the time, so I guess they must be just throttling to get the rated speed for the lower speed plans (Lite, Lightning, Lightning Max).

Lowkey, you must have had a good experience with Shaw phone then, to say that they are the same. I had bad experiences with my Shaw phone, and I prefer POTS telephone service over digital phone. We'll be getting it again in a few weeks, so hopefully it's improved since we had it at our last house.

It'll only be temporary anyway, as we can't get Ultimate here yet. We've been using Shaw's PVR for a couple weeks now, and I'm not too impressed. The PVR and HD channels are nice and all, but all too often I'll be fast forwarding near the end of a recorded show and it starts skipping back to the point I started fast forwarding. SO FRUSTRATING!

Neither system is perfect, but I think MTS Ultimate is currently the better of the two, operationally. Pricing and packaging does piss some people off, but that's life I guess. Wonder when Shaw will come out with something better.

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 09:47 AM

I had Shaw phone for exactly one month - just enough time to lose phone service for a whole weekend, drop every third call or so, have people call in and get busy signals, and have horrible echoing on every long distance call. I had the Shaw techs over 3 times to fix it, only to have them say (no word of a lie) that they weren't sending over any more techs for another 30 days, even if my problems hadn't been solved.

So I ended the Shaw telephone experiment, and went back to tried, tested and true MTS phone.

As for internet - I'm surprised you are getting drops in speed - I would suggest faulty hardware or a configuartion issue. I get 8MB/2MB consistently, no matter what time of day. I'm very tempted to upgrade to 15MB/2MB though...
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 09:59 AM

Just switched back to Shaw and am experiencing Shaw Phone for the first time and so far no complaints on my end. I do miss some MTS TV things, like TV Call Display, adjustable program guide (wish Shaw had this!), and of course there are channels I no longer subscribe to, mainly the Movie Flicks theme (then again it is mostly CSI and Law & Order on those channels!). On the flip side I now have an HDPVR free for a year.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 02:41 PM

I have 3 HDPVR's free for two years with MTS. Well, to be truthful... it's one PVR available anywhere in my home...
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
I have 3 HDPVR's free for two years with MTS. Well, to be truthful... it's one PVR available anywhere in my home...
LOL,

I was thinking the same thing.... After the whole family experience with the whole home PVR it will be pretty darn hard to go to anything else
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 2009-12-14, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
LOL,

I was thinking the same thing.... After the whole family experience with the whole home PVR it will be pretty darn hard to go to anything else
very true......with NFL Sunday ticket, and NHL center Ice......this option will appeal to EVERYONE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in