MTS TV/Internet Hardware & Setup - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-22, 03:46 AM

I wish I could use coax, but to install it to "MTS Standards" we've been told it MUST be fed with cat5.

Now, if the customer decides to hook it up themselves with coax after the fact, and cause problems, that's up to them. But the installer shouldn't be doing it this way at all, and IMO, if they do they aren't good installers. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Contractors love to cut corners...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-27, 04:49 AM

I stumbled onto this area while searching to a solution to a problem that is related to what is being discussed here.

I currently have a DLink DIR-625 installed behind my 3800HGV-B. The DLink acts as my wireless router and my main PC is hard wired into it. All other computers, data devices, a printer and the Wii access the 625 via wireless N or G. The Dlink is using addresses in the 192.168.222.xxx/255.255.255.0 range while the 2wire uses 192.168.100.xxx/255.255.255.0. My physical setup looks a lot like dice1111's except I only have a total of 3 tv's connected to the 2wire.

Everything was working fine until a recent Christmas addition. There is now a PS3 connected to a lan port on the 2wire. The connection is made there because the two devices are physically only a foot or two apart. The PS3 has internet access, and I can ping it from my main PC on the Dlink, but I am not able to connect it to that PC and use it as a media server.

I really don't want to turn the Dlink into a simple switch, because in addition to the hardware firewall, I am using Dlink's on-line software firewall, internet filtering and virus scanning system that is enabled in the 625's firmware.

Short of installing another run of 50 feet of cat5 from the PS3 to the Dlink, is there any way I can get the two devices talking over the networks? Thanks.
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-29, 02:31 AM

The problem you're having is that your PS3 and PC's are on two different subnets. I don't suspect you could get it working in the current configuration, you would have to add a static route between the 2wire and the Dlink pointing multicast in each device's related subnet to the other device. Since you have the cat5 from the 2wire RG likely going into the WAN/Internet port on your dlink, I don't suspect you could do this properly, and this likely wouldn't carry UDP packets between the two properly.

My recommendations are to choose one of the following:

1) If you're bent on using your dlink router, you need to connect your PS3 to it. I think all PS3's come with 802.11g WiFi so if your router supports it, that's one method - likely not the "best" solution for gaming, as there may be some added latency, but if the wireless signal is good - excellent, you likely won't notice much difference. The other option is a very long Cat5. run between the two.

2) Don't use your Dlink as a router and convert the settings so it acts as a layer 2 switch. This will place all your computers onto the 2wire's subnet so they can all communicate/"see" each other. The current method you have right now, really does not increase your security as the 2wire has an advanced firewall in it, on top of basic NAT. Having the dlink behind it sets you up for potential problems using certain applications. You would lose however the other features that you mentioned (D-Link's filtering, software firewall, antivirus).

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-29, 04:57 PM

I appreciate the reply, David. I've actually tried using the Dlink as a switch with the cat5 moved to a lan port from the wan and disabling DHCP. The 2wire assigned all devices ip's in its own subnet except for the dlink which was showing up with the public wan ip. I was then able to access the ps3, but an unwanted side effect was that all wireless devices connected to the dlink did not have internet access. Strangely, the one hard-wired pc did have internet but could not access the dlink config page - I had to use a wireless pc for that.

Since I'm not really a network pro, I think I'll go back to the way things were with the dlink in the dmz of the 2wire. (The Dlink does have a full suite of hardware firewall settings, btw. The software aspect is a little cream for the coffee, so to speak.) Cat5 is cheap, so I'll just run a line from the ps3 to the dlink parallel to the existing one running from the 2wire. I was kind of hoping to avoid that, but I guess not.

Now if the 2wire had good dual band wireless N instead of only G, i would probably eliminate the dlink completely. Maybe it will come sometime in the future, like when we get internet access to our MTS PVR's...!
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-29, 06:27 PM

Sadly, the "upgrade" from 802.11g to a dual-band 802.11n router would require physically new hardware.

The upgrade to web acess to PVR settings is a software upgrade.
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-30, 04:48 AM

I understand that, but it would be nice to see both features!

FWIW, I ran a new line of cat5 from my Dlink to the PS3. All is working fine.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-03, 07:29 PM

Not sure if this is relevant in this thread but I'll ask. My brother recently had Ultimate installed (upgraded from regular MTS TV) and i was wondering what kind of connection cables come with each receiver? In other words do they generally come with any component or HDMI cables? The reason I ask is that the pvr receiver was hooked up with component cables that were left over from the original install and the other HDTV was hooked up via component but with cheap composite red, white and yellow cables. I know my Bell receivers came with both component and HDMI/DVI cables. Seems strange that MTS would not supply any kind of HD cables with these new receivers?
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-03, 07:54 PM

I think they come with component cables. I didn't pay much attention as I supplied my own HDMI cables.
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-04, 04:00 AM

They only include component cables (1 set of thick red/green/blue for picture and 1 set of thin red/white/yellow for audio) Supposedly sometimes picture will be slightly better with component over HDMI for some reason.

And they sent out a memo saying that some HDTV's will give a "HDCP" error when hooked up through HDMI. I've seen it twice I think.

On some of the really small HDTV's I just use the thin one's for picture AND sound. IMO, it won't make a difference there, plus the thick ones are harder to tuck in when it's in a kids room or on top of a fridge, for example.

** Some customers claim their friends were GIVEN HDMI cables by the installer. If that's the case, the installer is putting their a__ on the line because MTS charges $19.95 for HDMI cables (it will be added to your bill). I am not giving these away as I don't want to lose my job. I have mouths to feed and a mortgage to pay, so I won't let anyone pressure me into giving them one. Some people are such cheapskates.
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-08, 03:53 PM

I'm running all 3 of my sets with just HDMI cables. No problems here. I turned down the installer's offer to provide the cables at $20 each. Went to Superstore in Brandon and got 5 of them for $7 each. I'll live with that...
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-08, 04:33 PM

My issue with my brother's install was that if the receivers come with component cables where did they go to? The installer should have used them for the install if they were supplied with the receiver and he did not.
post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-09, 12:56 AM

Quick question - just set up a new surround sound system (Sony HT-SS360), and I'm running HDMI from the MTS box to the receiver.

Other than an occasional hiccup where the HDMI doesn't sync, I've noticed I can't get any sound out of the box when I'm trying to listen to the music stations (Galaxie, etc). What gives?
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-10, 05:04 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
Quick question - just set up a new surround sound system (Sony HT-SS360), and I'm running HDMI from the MTS box to the receiver.

Other than an occasional hiccup where the HDMI doesn't sync, I've noticed I can't get any sound out of the box when I'm trying to listen to the music stations (Galaxie, etc). What gives?
Not sure I can help, might be as simple as a setting on you new receiver. I had to adjust the HDMI setting on my receiver a little to give the reciever FULL HDMI control. I just checked my music stations and they are playing sound fine....
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 12:47 AM

Fiddled around with it - it worked after flicking between channels a bit. Now it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-24, 10:05 PM

Another question. This one about the wireless access. Is there a way to turn on the wireless access? I tried looking for a wireless access point with my brother's new pc but found no networks. Could it be that it's not broadcasting a wireless signal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in