MTS TV/Internet Hardware & Setup - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-08, 09:47 AM

I have a VIP1200 in my bedroom and the LED lights were really annoying at night. I solved the problem by taking off the rubber feet on the bottom, remove the 4 screws, pop off the top of the case, and put a small amount of electrical tape over the 2 super-bright and annoying flashing LEDs. The rubber has enough adhesive that they stick back on. I also put electrical tape over the 3 LEDs on the front.

Now I have no light problems and no worries about heat if I had covered the vents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-08, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you davidb1

Looking at the 3800hgv;
http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/491.pdf
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-09, 01:20 AM

Quote:
The 2wire doesn't seem to have a lot of security built in (if any). No user/password to log in? That is very odd. I have security doubts
It does prompt for a password if you try and change some system settings, like enabling the WiFi. The password is on the sticker on the back of the 2wire, and it says "wireless key" or something.

Quote:
I currently have my 1000baseT/wireless N router and an 8 port 1000baseT switch on my network. I'm pretty sure (unless the 2wire is special) I could still use my router as a front end and treat the MTS 2wire device as a DHCP enabled internet access point. Essentially acquiring an IP address from the 2wire via DHCP, and keep my firewalled router the access point for my devices on the network. I doubt the security and routing services (PVN, VoIP) on my router would continue to work properly if it was setup as just a switch. Thoughts?
If I'm understanding that correctly, I don't think you can use the 2wire downstream of your router. It is basically the "modem" for your internet, so it handles the DSL connection, which I've never heard of that being connected downstream of a router Their webpage with generic instructions on reconfiguring 3rd party routers says to do the following: Turn off DHCP server, Change router IP to 192.168.100.200 (to retain functional access to your routers interface), and move the internet wire from WAN port to a LAN port. Not good if all your LAN ports are in use

In case it wasn't mentioned yet, the 2wire is only 10/100. No gigabit here

Quote:
On an installation note, if I were to build a shelf close to my router in the basement, can I request that the 2wire device get installed there? I would prefer it rather then have it behind my TV. I’m wanting a very visibly minimalistic home theater setup (less is more, and there is no more room where the games system is hidden). The main TV (future location of the VIP1216) is directly above the location of the router and file serving equipment.
I can't see it being a problem. They actually want the 2wire at the demarc/service entrance, but this isn't always possible. And as long as that location is easily serviceable (or already serviced) with the following:

a) cat5 line from your phone "demarc"
b) coax line from your main coax splitter (since the VIP1200's are fed on coax using HPNA technology)
c) cat5 line from your computer or router (you say your router is there anyway, so that sounds like a moot point)

I don't think the installer will do it if they have to run a new coax line just to get the HPNA working off the main splitter. It's usually what is most convenient/least amount of wiring.

When the installers go to an ultimate installation, the installation only really includes 2 cat5 lines. One from the 2wire to the VIP1216; and one from the 2wire to ONE computer (or existing router). Anything else, they will probably consider it extra and advise you how much it costs (unless there's existing wiring).

To hook up any "unserviced" TV's (no existing coax) is $25/TV added to your next bill (if you choose to get them to do it).

To hook up any additional computers via cat5 are extra, but I think this is a grey area. Their website might not explain it properly either, I think. It says the following:

" 'Wired' Connections (cable already in place) – using MTS Professional Wiring, $99.95 per connection."

THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME. Why would they charge $99 when there's a wire there already?! I think they mean to run a new cat5. I've also heard it might be charge per foot, so I can't say for sure.

post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-09, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Great information Macman, thank you.

With Macman’s help, I have created a drawing of what I believe an installation like mine would physically look like. It's basic enough to also cover anyone with a Wireless N router as well. As you suggested, you means of network configuration will work just fine as well with the router acting as a switch.

MTS Setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I hope this helps anyone trying to get their heads around it.

Quote:
If I'm understanding that correctly, I don't think you can use the 2wire downstream of your router. It is basically the "modem" for your internet, so it handles the DSL connection, which I've never heard of that being connected downstream of a router Their webpage with generic instructions on reconfiguring 3rd party routers says to do the following: Turn off DHCP server, Change router IP to 192.168.100.200 (to retain functional access to your routers interface), and move the internet wire from WAN port to a LAN port. Not good if all your LAN ports are in use
If the 2wire device is a typical router, this should not be a problem. If I set my current router's WAN port to obtain an IP via DHCP (typical of a Shaw installation) instead of PPPoE (for my current MTS installation) the router will just acquire IP and DNS information like any other computer from the 2wire. Essentially this is creating a two device network between the 2wire and the router. My current router can then distribute IP addresses to the network behind my router. The 2wire would be unaware of any of the other devices/computers and just route the traffic that my current router requests of it. This scenario will work with any regular router behind a router, it is typically done in business IT. I have two different routers setup at work like this in the lab. The only downside of this is that I would not be able to access the 2wire from any computer in the house if I want to change any settings on it as it would be a seperate network. (I might be able to setup a routing table in my current router to allow this... we'll see when I get into it).

I have ran a coax and extra Cat5e cable to the installation location (location doesn't exist at the moment as I'm putting up drywall, first attempt ever at mudding and taping [I fail], so I can mount a shelf). I will leave these for the installer to terminate, but the work of running them is done.

If thing go the way I plan, I will end up with 3 RJ45 ports (Cat5e termination points) and a single coax port by my main installation. 2 RJ45 ports are there for the classis MTS service as I needed to run the "demarc" line to the Set-top Box and a second to my router in the basement, plus a 3rd for my games system. Very overkill, but maybe I can build an HTPC or something just to use the port (I'm weird like that).

Only a week and a half to get this wall up and repair my mud/tape job before the installation. Yes, I am building a wall and finishing my laundry room so I can put up a shelf JUST for this installation, retarded huh? But I'll put my NAS there and man, will it be sweet and easy to get to/use.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-10, 09:46 AM

Ok........I just need help identifying what Item 2 and 3 are on the picture below.....I know that Win7 should be my PC, and one should be the TV......and I know the Dlink, and Macintoch one.

What is the one with the little house picture?

What is the second one?

Thanks!

post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-10, 10:50 AM

From a previos post, the gateway is 192.168.100.254. I expect the other one is the VIP 1216.
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-10, 05:39 PM

Items 2 and 3 in that list are your set top boxes.
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-11, 01:48 AM

thanks!
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-16, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It is defintely possible to have the 2wire gateway installed in a different location than your VIP1216, this is how my setup is done, although the wiring is a little different than described by others hear.

Your plan to use your existing network should work fine. I had a whole setup of mixed wifi and wired connections going. I had some initial problems as the 2wire firewall was blocking certain ports however I changed the wired connection between the 2wire and my existing network to be in the DMZ and that issue went away. The only issue I am having now is that the Internet connection seems to drop for about 2-5 seconds every half hour. I am planning to talk to tech support to see if they can help locate the cause as this is a new issue for me.

One final piece of advice to keep in mind if you are going for a minimalistic setup, the VIP1216 has an internal green led that flashes pretty much constantly, I think it is a network activity indicator. You can see it through the ventelation holes in the top of the case. It is actually very noticable in a dark room, especially if your tv is off. You may want to take that into account when planning your equipment location.
CoryB, did you ever discover the cause for your periodic connection drop? I'm having the same issue and I think I've narrowed down the cause to the fact that I have the 2wire router linked into a 2nd DLink router via the DMZplus address type. The DLink connects all my home networking gear, similar to Dice1111's setup.

The DMZplus DHCP lease is only 10 minutes and I think the DLink is renewing the lease causing the drop. Ordinarily, a DHCP client will essentially ask the server if the lease it has is OK and if it is, it should just keep the link up. I have to sniff the traffic between the two routers to see what the conversation actually is to say for sure whether it's the DLink dropping the connection instead of asking to keep the IP or if it's the 2Wire telling the DLink to renew (but using the same IP).

Update: a possible cause and fix: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...ighlight=lease

Update 2: disabling the SPI firewall on the DLink appears to have solved the DHCP lease issue... but I haven't confirmed whether or not that solves the disconnect issue or not.

Last edited by Ben S; 2009-12-16 at 04:31 PM.
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 05:11 PM

That pretty closely mirrors my network setup. The brand of the router after the 2wire is different but it is running DD-WRT.

I will attempt the fix tonight and post my findings.

One other bit of info that people may find useful to know is that coaxial from the 2wire to the PVR is an allowed configuration for MTS Ultimate tv as verified with tech support yesterday.

Further, if you experience freezing try physically unplugging all setup top boxes and the 2wire, start by plugging the 2ire back in, then the pvr and then the other boxes. I was having some issues with this and that fix has so far completely solved the issue.
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-17, 11:04 PM

I'm going to assume that tech support was misinformed.

I'm not here to start an argument, just to point out what their training material says. And I'm confident that the head MTS guy in charge of dealing with all the contracting companies would say this is not to their standards. He's a real hard a__ when it comes to this kind of stuff. But obviously contractors do cut corners, and some do slip by their quality control techs.

I haven't ever used coax to the PVR, and I'm sure it works, but I don't want to be told I have to go back to a bunch of my installations to run a new cat 5 line because it wasn't done to their standards.

I don't know their true reasoning, but maybe cat5e can handle more bandwidth than HPNA over coax

Thanks
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-18, 02:21 PM

Remote question of the day... are the MTS remotes for the boxes IR remotes only or also UHF remotes? I have one of my boxes hidden in a bedroom closet for the TV in the bedroom and have a UHF remote with the Shaw Direct box that makes this work great! Still debating about going to MTS.... :-)
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-19, 01:12 AM

From what I know, they are only IR, but heard that MTS is working on making them capable of UHF.
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 10:20 AM

Sorry for the slow response.

I tested the suggestion above, disabled SPI on the DD-WRT firmware, and can confirm it solves the periodic connection drops on the Internet.
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-12-21, 09:50 PM

The preferred method of installation is with Cat.5 from the 2Wire RG to the VIP1216 (PVR Set Top). A coaxial connection can be used in situations where it is near impossible to run a new Cat.5 cable and the existing coax is in exceptional condition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in