MTS- questionable Uilimate TV availablility? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

MTS- questionable Uilimate TV availablility?

Ok for months and months now i have been calling in and chekcing the Ulimate TV availability page and have been shot down, with no ETA on when i will get service.

so the other night i decided to go back and check again on the website, and WOW it doest say that its not available, wow am i ever stoked.

The next morning i call in and try to setup an appointment....

DENIED

it is not available in my area. I have a google map of my district and have checked all of the postal codes. Prior to this past week, it would either show:
yes its avialable
yes, it MIGHT be available, or
no its not available, results.

now it only shows, the nice yes its available, or the yes, it might be available. What kind of crap is that? i cannot tell you how irate i was when i called in only to be told that its not available and my area isnt even on the list for upgrades in the foreseeable future.

update

it now seems they changed it to ask for your phone number now and you need to enter a 2 word random check.

and i get the lovely:

Sorry!

MTS Ultimate TV Service Is Not Yet Available at Your Address

damn do i ever love getting 15 brochures a week advertising for ultimate TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 09:19 AM

nice that they put up a phone number check instead of postal code. My Mother-in-law was in the same boat where she was a no, then became a maybe, but when she called it was a no again. When I called MTS on her behalf to find out why, it turns out (and now rather obviously) that postal code assignement don't match how the telephone plant is built. so when one area is upgraded, it doesn't always upgrade an entire postal code area. The "maybe" was to prompt people to call in where they could actually check the phone number.

I can imagine how frustrating it would be to call in to be told no again, I did hear at the fall trade show that MTS is ahead of schedule for rollout, so hopefully you don't wait too much longer.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 01:25 AM

I'm not an expert on it, but if you saw how the telephone network wiring was laid out, you'd probably ___ yourself

They must have a TON of upgrades to do since they have telephone cabinets practically every few KM's.

I got to see the map of my street, on an MTS technician's laptop (I knew the guy, so I don't think I would normally have an opportunity to see it). It was cool to see where the underground wiring runs. The not-so-fun part was finding out that I'm at the far end, so my signal is quite weak.

More recently, I crossed paths with some MTS techs and asked them about availability. One guy said the components are on backorder, so I think that's slowing them down. He also said they aren't told what areas are next. I guess management doesn't want anyone to know.

Since I have an almost obsessive interest in the technical aspect of telephone systems, seeing stuff like this blows my mind http://theodoregray.com/PeriodicTabl...index.s11.html

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

i too, am far from the box, 800m. it really surprised me since i have a box right across the street that only services 10 more houses than on my street. Its a larger box and used less.

really makes no sense, the tech that came to investigate my slow connection confirmed this for me.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I'm not an expert on it, but if you saw how the telephone network wiring was laid out, you'd probably ___ yourself

They must have a TON of upgrades to do since they have telephone cabinets practically every few KM's.

I got to see the map of my street, on an MTS technician's laptop (I knew the guy, so I don't think I would normally have an opportunity to see it). It was cool to see where the underground wiring runs. The not-so-fun part was finding out that I'm at the far end, so my signal is quite weak.

More recently, I crossed paths with some MTS techs and asked them about availability. One guy said the components are on backorder, so I think that's slowing them down. He also said they aren't told what areas are next. I guess management doesn't want anyone to know.

Since I have an almost obsessive interest in the technical aspect of telephone systems, seeing stuff like this blows my mind http://theodoregray.com/PeriodicTabl...index.s11.html
OMG......thats what all the info comes through??? what if one little wire fails?

Amazing macman! Thanks for the pic
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Finally Ultimate available!!!

hey guys,

LOOOOONG time waiting but i am finally able to get ultimate HD. installer coming on the 12th.

now, i cant remember what 'deal' i should be getting.

here is what i was offered.

2 yr free pvr service
2 yr free pvr rental
hd starter free, cant remember time frame
and i believe 1 free extra box for 6 months.

should i be able to do better?

i have been complaining for over 2 years now and have been getting basic +11 for 29.95 a month for that time, along with the basic hd service.

thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 01:45 PM

First, congrats, glad you are finally able to get the service.

but you have been waiting and waiting for Ultimate TV, and they offer you basically 2 years of free PVR (more than us first people on the service got). and you are wondering if the deal is sweet enough??

Forgive my cynicism but after all this time I would think you would be happy to get the service.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

i paid $349 for the HD box that will now become useless.

i EXPECT to be compensated for the fee i paid for this box.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-05-08, 02:56 AM

I think this promo they gave you was their way of compensating you. In the early stages of Ultimate TV, most people only got 1 year of free pvr/2 STB rental/HD Basic. Then, for a while they were offering lifetime PVR +some other stuff, but they no longer offer this one!

I think this 2 year promo is only for existing Classic HD customers switching to Ultimate TV. And I think in turn, they want the old box back. I've done some installs where the work order says to recover the old box.

So considering that the current promos that are only for 3 months, you probably got a decent deal. I don't know for sure if it fully compensates you for what you paid for the Classic HD RG3000, though. You said you paid $349, did they also charge you the $99 install fee back then? If so, that's $448.

I attempted to calculate it below (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so it appears they've waived $462 for the first 2 years, according to your promo.

PVR: $5/month x 24 month = $120
STB rentals: $3/month x 3 STB x 24 months = $216
1 STB free 6 months = -$18
HD Starter: $6/month x 24 months = $144
Total: $462

So it seems like it works out, eh?

That's the way I see it, but I could be out to lunch. I don't even know why they ever offered Classic HD. All that extra cost and work to install it for only 8 channels? Yeesh. I'm surprised anyone took it (no offense). They never really promoted it, either, probably because it was a pain to install and was very limited (I don't even think VDSL had enough bandwidth to add more channels in the future). I'm surprised it's still in the brochures, too.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-05-08, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

thanks macman,

thats what i was looking for....was only wondering what others got for upgrading to ultimate.

and i just remembered the deal they offered when i went up to HD from reg TV.

$200 off the extra box, so only paid 149 for it, no install fee and free hd for 2 years.

THEN i started to complain about not being able to get ultimate, so then i got basic+11 for 29.95 month and 29.95 a month for 7.5 dsl.

so all that being said, i guess im doing better than i thought

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in