MTS New Channels - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-03, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

MTS New Channels

Alright, let's use this thread to talk about any new channels for MTS. Hopefully one of the Mods will sticky this thread for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-03, 09:23 AM

I want/need Spike HD.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-05, 12:49 PM
Member #1

WINNIPEG, MB, November 2, 2009 - MTS TV, the digital television services offered by MTS Allstream Inc. ("MTS Allstream"), today announces new channel additions to its already impressive and comprehensive television entertainment line-up on MTS Classic TV and MTS Ultimate TV services. These additions include 5 new channels on MTS Classic TV and MTS Ultimate TV, and 18 new high-definition ("HD") channels added to the MTS Ultimate TV service. This means customers of MTS Ultimate TV service now have access to 48 HD channels along with many other great features like Canada's first Whole Home PVR - an advanced PVR capable of recording up to three programs at once while playing back TV programs from any connected TV in the home.

"We are pleased to add new channels to our TV services - especially 18 new HD channels to our Ultimate TV service now available in most areas in Portage La Prairie and Brandon, and to a growing number of customers in Winnipeg," said Stan Kurtas, Vice-President Marketing, Consumer Markets, MTS Allstream. "The new HD channels, combined with Whole Home PVR, make MTS Ultimate TV a TV experience unlike any other in Canada. The choice and value MTS TV customers have always enjoyed is now even better with much more selection and flexibility."

Some of the new HD channels now available on MTS Ultimate TV include TSN2 HD, CNN HD, CBC News Network HD, Rogers Sportsnet (East, Ontario & Pacific) HD, History Television HD, and Discovery HD. MTS Ultimate TV customers also have access to time-shifted network TV channels in HD and can purchase Pay-Per-View events in HD. New channels to both MTS Ultimate TV and Classic TV services are AMC, Turner Classic Movies, Playhouse Disney Channel, Big Ten Network and The Accessible Channel.

New channels available on both MTS Ultimate TV and Classic TV services:

* Playhouse Disney Channel - Channel 158
* AMC - Channel 159
* Turner Classic Movies - Channel 160
* Big Ten Network - Channel 203
* The Accessible Channel - Channel 888

New channels available on MTS Ultimate TV service:

* MTS HD Pay-Per-View - Channels 97 & 98
* Big Ten Network HD - Channel 445
* CNN HD - Channel 446
* CBC News Network HD - Channel 447
* Radio-Canada HD - Channel 448
* Rogers Sportsnet East HD - Channel 472
* Rogers Sportsnet Ontario HD - Channel 473
* Rogers Sportsnet Pacific HD - Channel 474
* TSN2 HD - Channel 477
* CBC HD Vancouver - Channel 481
* CTV HD Vancouver - Channel 482
* Global HD BC - Channel 483
* ABC HD Seattle - Channel 486
* CBS HD Seattle - Channel 487
* FOX HD Seattle - Channel 488
* NBC HD Seattle - Channel 489
* PBS HD Seattle - Channel 490
* History Television HD - Channel 498
* Discovery HD - Channel 499

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-05, 07:40 PM

about time.....although I would have used a different thread to sticky
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-05, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Who cares, we finally have an MTS thread stickied, thanks Hugh!!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-06, 10:12 AM

I get a lot of customers who are unaware, or misinformed by sales reps that when you get Ultimate TV, you don't get "all the HD channels". You have "Access" to them.

The way they have it now with the new channels, is everyone gets the "HD Free" theme, and if you get a promo, they usually give the "HD Starter" theme for a period of time (6 months). *All other themes are extra*

And a reminder too, quote "YOU MUST HAVE THE DIGITAL EQUIVALENT OF HD CHANNELS IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THEM IN HD, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF HD HI-FI AND HD TIMESHIFT. "

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-06, 11:20 PM

Wait - so does MTS now officially have more HD channels than Shaw?
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 12:51 AM

Maybe the same? I just counted 50, including the two new HD PPV channels. I don't know what Shaw offers.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 09:07 AM

Just checked, and I think Shaw technically has one more channel than MTS... but they offer more HD for "free".
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 11:58 AM

Thought I'd do a comparison of the HD channels on the web pages of MTS and Shaw Winnipeg.

These are the HD channels that Shaw doesn't carry:
APTN HD
CBC News Network HD
Citytv HD Toronto
CNN HD
Global HD BC
Global HD Ontario
Radio-Canada HD
Raptors NBA TV HD
Equator HD
Oasis HD
Rush HD
Treasure HD

These are HD channels that Shaw carries but MTS has more HD time shifting than Shaw. MTS carries what Shaw does, plus the following:
Sportsnet East HD
Sportsnet Ontario HD
Sportsnet West HD
CTV HD Vancouver
HBO Canada HD (East)
PBS HD Seattle
CBC HD Vancouver

These are the channels that Shaw carriies that MTS doesn't:
AMC HD
The Frame HD
The Golf Channel HD

19 in MTS's favour, 3 in Shaw's favour, difference of 16.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 12:38 PM

^^ That's nice of you to spend the time doing that. Good job!

So Mozza, when you say Shaw offers more free channels, I'm guessing it doesn't necessarily mean cheaper, eh?
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 01:13 PM

Can you really count The Frame? That channel (if you can call it that) is brutal. We should also count Shaw's Turkey TV in HD. haha.

I heard they had a HD pumpkin channel on halloween this year.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

And don't forget their Fireplace TV! Anyway, Shaw does not offer more free HD than MTS. In fact the only channels on Shaw's HD Basic package are the US networks, US timeshifts, CBC Toronto, and The Frame. MTS Free HD package includes CBC, SRC, CBC NN, WGN, APTN, Showcase, National Geographic, CNN, Big Ten Network, A&E, The Score, and Speed, almost all of these are on Shaw's HD Plus package which costs extra money. Technically MTS has more channel than Shaw does for free HD, unless of course you count Turkey TV/Pumpkin TV/Fireplace TV as an actual channel. Technically MTS has more HD channels than Shaw period, unless you want to get into counting all the HD ppv/sports channels that MTS doesn't have yet.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 06:54 PM

yes very nice Dr Dave...thanks! MTS all the way!
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 2009-11-09, 12:22 PM

Quote:
So Mozza, when you say Shaw offers more free channels, I'm guessing it doesn't necessarily mean cheaper, eh?
I mean that Shaw includes more HD channels in their HD offering, without breaking them into smaller "packages" like MTS has done. MTS used to pride themselves on the fact that you could choose your channels more easily and that it was cheaper than having to get channels you didn't want. Now it seems they've continued that... but are going to charge us quite a bit for that sort of choice.

I'm going to go back and work out my monthly totals between what I had with Shaw and what I get with MTS. Once my 6 month promo is done... it almost looks like I'll be paying more for MTS.

EDIT: Did the math... and if they are still going to charge $5 for the PVR with MTS per month, I'll be saving $3 a month with MTS over Shaw, after the bundle discount. I pay $4 more a month for internet over what I'd get with Shaw... so MTS is net +$1 over the services I'd have with Shaw.

I just wish they roll the Free HD and the Starter HD into one, free package. It'd be a $6 hit... but then they'd be the clear winner in value.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in