MTS Set-up question - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 03:15 AM

Here's the interesting part... Originally, I read that it can be placed in 3 or 4 different locations and that the final decision is up to the installer and the customer

BUT... We were told recently that it is supposed to be placed at the service entrance (where the wires come into the building). That's not always feasible, so I don't know why they changed their mind all of a sudden.

Plus, I've heard that a lot of the contractors just put it at the main TV alongside the PVR when it is a customer who is migrating from Classic, since the old receivers are the source for all the other tv's and the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 08:37 AM

Vader - they don't rip up any walls, they just run the wire along the walls.
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
OK - tried to read everything and make sure I understand the whole install... have a couple of different scenarios...
1) My house has wired network connections as well as coax from a main point in the house, where the phone line currently enters the house as well. Would they install the 2 wire there (maybe in my suspended ceiling) and then take advantage of all of the existing network cable to go from there to my main TV location as well as to my wired home computer? Or would they put the 2Wire by the TV in my living room and then try to work backwards from there? Or would they put it where my existing Modem is for MTS high-speed?
2) My in-laws are thinking about this as well. They have TV on main floor and wired computer up on the second floor (where their current MTS modem is). Coax running from a mian point in the basement to all the other TV's inth house. Trying to avoid having the house messed up too much... same questions as above.... typically where would the installer put the 2wire so they don't have to rip up the walls too much?
Its really not hard for them to make this work. My installer told me they like to hide it behind the TV....

post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe View Post
Its really not hard for them to make this work. My installer told me they like to hide it behind the TV....
So if they put it behind the TV, do they need to run Cat5 from the line entrance to the house to where the 2Wire is? Or do they do something similar to the MTS modem and use current phone lines with a filter to get it there?
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
So if they put it behind the TV, do they need to run Cat5 from the line entrance to the house to where the 2Wire is? Or do they do something similar to the MTS modem and use current phone lines with a filter to get it there?
one wire is all they need from the phone jack in the wall. (hard to believe) they will likely pick the jack that is closest to your TV.
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 12:34 AM

If it's a house, MTS standards say to run a new cat 5 from the service entrance (a.k.a. demarc) to the 2Wire. If the installer just splices into a regular phone jack that has regular (untwisted) phone wire, they are doing it wrong and it might cause problems. Plus, if the installation gets inspected by MTS' quality control guys, they'd probably make the installer go back a redo it.

The only time I ever feed it off a phone jack is in an apartment because one of the jacks is the main junction (a.k.s. riser) anyway.

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
If it's a house, MTS standards say to run a new cat 5 from the service entrance (a.k.a. demarc) to the 2Wire. If the installer just splices into a regular phone jack that has regular (untwisted) phone wire, they are doing it wrong and it might cause problems. Plus, if the installation gets inspected by MTS' quality control guys, they'd probably make the installer go back a redo it.

The only time I ever feed it off a phone jack is in an apartment because one of the jacks is the main junction (a.k.s. riser) anyway.

Yes I'm in an apartment...I guess I should have mentioned that. The jack is on the outside wall so I assume its the main junction. I hope.....maybe I should call back.

I think I asked you this macman......but The guy actually hardwired the cat 5 in the all side and ran it to the 2wire unit. BUT on a regular cat 5 the end are large but were it goes to on the 2wire is a regular phone input.

How are they able to change the cat 5 wire to fit the phone slot on the 2wire?

do you think I am losing quality the way they did it?

sorry I don't know the proper terms.......riser? dmarc?
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 06:43 PM

Question re Wiring for new MTS serice

I am currently with Shaw Direct(Star Choice) and will be switching to the new MTS Ultimate. Will they have to change all the wiring or will the Shaw Direct wiring do?
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 12:31 AM

tobe, we have both sizes of connectors that we can crimp on. Some people call them RJ11, but I think the proper term is 6P4C (6 position, 4 connector). You aren't losing quality at all, that's the way it's done on every installation.

The Classic TV system accepted the bigger one (RJ45/8P8C) but the new 2Wire gateway only needs a RJ11/6P4C end. On both classic and ultimate, it's only the two center pins carrying the DSL signal, so they could've been using the smaller ends all along

ranman, they'll probably reuse some of the Shaw coax if you aren't going to keep that service running at the same time. 99% of the time, people are switching from one provider to another, but I had one tonight where the guy wanted to keep his Shaw service "in case I decide not to keep MTS". I found it weird, but I guess he hadn't given his 30 day notice to Shaw so if he didn't like the MTS system, he wanted it to be easy to stay with Shaw. Makes my job tougher

The only wiring that may have to change (or be added) are as follows:

1-Cat 5 line going from the main telephone junction (demarc) to the 2Wire RG

1-Cat 5 line going from the 2Wire RG to the PVR

1-Cat 5 line from the 2Wire RG to your computer (or your existing router if you plan to continue using it in conjunction with the 2Wire RG, which is a router too).

I've probably said it before, but I'll mention it again; Customers can either pack away their router (D-link, Linksys, Etc) and use the 2Wire RG exclusively, giving you full tech support from MTS. Or you can reconfigure your router to work as a "switch" downstream from the 2Wire RG, but it is not MTS' responsiblity to do this. They have generic instructions at http://www.mts.ca/file_source/mts.ca...figuration.pdf

It's not terribly hard to do, but some routers are finicky and act up during the process. Some people don't want to use the 2Wire as it's only "Wireless G" if their router is the newer "Wireless N" standard.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-12-07, 07:37 PM

Smile Wireless Internet with the new Ulitimate service

Getting the new MTS Ultimate service hooked up this Friday. Am currently with MTS for internet. Will they automatically put my computer on wireless service with this new modem? Is it something I should have asked for when I booked? Is there an extra cost for this? Thanks
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-12-07, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

automatic. The 2wire unit takes care of everything.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-12-09, 01:29 AM

Turning on the wireless transmitter in the 2wire is free at time of installation (normally $99 for MTS home networking). Any computers with wi-fi capability, like a laptop, can usually connect wirelessly fairly easily. A desktop computer without a wireless card is not connected wirelessly for free.

MTS sells wireless network cards for $79.99, or you could get one at a big box store. The installer shouldn't be lazy and tell the customer that they need to make it wireless because running a wire is too much work. Don't believe them if they say that!

HTH!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in