MTS Set-up question - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 03:09 PM

@ranman444

1) When you have Ultimate TV installed you will automatically get 2 Mbps upload speed (you have 1 Mbps now). You can also order faster download packages (15, 25 or 32 Mbps) if you wish.

The gateway has a couple of Ethernet ports available, so you may be able to use those. You are responsible for any Ethernet connections after the first 1 for your computer. It also has 802.11g. The gateway is normally installed next to the PVR. The secondary TVs are connected via existing coax.

2) AFAIK the only thing you can't do at secondary TVs is pause and rewind live TV. You can schedule recordings and watch live or recorded content from any TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 03:23 PM

Thank you for your help in clarifying this for me. It is my understanding we get wireless for this too? So if this is true I could have my Mac and my playstation connected using wireless and my TV with the Ethernet connection.?
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 03:34 PM

That's right. The wireless is 802.11g.

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 03:51 PM

I don't know of any advantages the new system will have with regards to high speed internet, it's the same internet. The only thing is if you don't already have it set up like this, they will probably run your internet connection from your stb instead of a modem, if you have a modem right now that is. But I don't really know about hooking up the internet to your tv or how it would work.

As for question 2, I don't think it matters where you place the pvr since every tv will have pvr access. The only recommendation I would make is, once again if you currently don't have their tv service, you should get it hooked up to the tv that is closest to your phone hookups because they will have to ultimately run a cat5 from your phone hookup to the main stb and i'm pretty sure you don't want wires everywhere. It also makes for an easier setup.
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I don't know of any advantages the new system will have with regards to high speed internet, it's the same internet.
Quote:
When you have Ultimate TV installed you will automatically get 2 Mbps upload speed (you have 1 Mbps now). You can also order faster download packages (15, 25 or 32 Mbps) if you wish.
I can attest that the speeds after having the Ultimate package installed are certainly an increase. I went from 4500/350 to 8000/2000 in my speed tests. I'm very tempted to order the 15Mbps package too... especially if the upload speeds are also increased!
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 04:24 PM

Put the PVR box at your primary TV, since only the PVR Set-top box (VIP1216) can pause and rewind LIVE TV. All Set-top boxes have access to the PVR, they just can't puase and rewind LIVE TV.

I found my Internet speed went up with the new service, not sure if it had anythign to do with PPPoE (with Classic) and now DHCP with Ultimate.
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 04:32 PM

Just to make things absolutely clear:

Regular ADSL upload speed is 1 Mbps.
Classic Tv or Ultimate TV upload speed is 2 Mbps.
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-23, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Just got all set up today. The whole thing took only about 1.5 hours.

First impressions:

HD quality is better than Shaw or at least the same. ZERO glitches or brodcast interuptions. (so far)

I will miss on on-screen cal dispaly (the little things)

Channels change at warp speed compared to the old system

Guide is a tad confusing at first, but I'm already adjusting

SD stations are ok, I always thought they were......that was UNTIL I got HD. I guess it watchable, but why would I now.........

I'm still not entirely sure what the "wire" modem is for, I mean I understand what it does (i think) but I just like to understand thinks like this. The guy told me to not use my old router anymore. The system is great and my speed went from 1.01 mb/s to 1.90 mb/s.

Thats all for now......

Macman, maybe you could help explian the 2wire modem system and how it realated to the Ultimate TV process......

thanks
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-24, 01:13 AM

Well, it's the main brain for everything; TV, Internet, Wireless internet (if you choose it). MTS Ultimate TV won't work without the 2Wire RG. Basically, it has a modem in it that receives the VDSL2 signal from the DSLAM, and routes it to the set-tops and computer(s).

The VIP1216 and VIP1200 set-top's use a technology called IPTV. I don't know much about it, but I just picture them like little computers, taking an internet-like signal and streaming it to a display device.

You could reuse your old router if you wanted to, it's just that MTS doesn't provide support for third party routers. It might be more beneficial in some cases if the customer's router is an "N" type, or if you need a lot of hardwired ethernet connections. With just the 2wire in place, there are only 3 ports for internet, but let's say you have 4 computers, you could run your router as a switch. Then I think you'd have 5 available ethernet ports.

Oh, and to get routers to work with the 2Wire box, you would have to reconfigure it, which is not the installers responsibility.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-24, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

OK that helps me picture it now .......thanks.

Now on the back of the wire gateway there is a broadband connection. On my system this is empty. Is this normal? I have one wire (cat 5 on wall end and reconfigured on the modem end) going into the "phone" part of the gateway. It seems crazy that all this information is coming through a phone line???

I would have thought that the "broadband" connection should be used.......

Also the installer hard-wired the wall end, in other words I cant disconnect that end......is this normal? He just left me a phone jack in case I need it.
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-24, 12:55 PM

Yep, that's normal. It definitely is mind blowing to think there's 35 Mbps travelling over that pair of wires.

I don't know what the broadband port would be for so I just did a quick search and someone on another forum said it's for FTTH, so I guess it would plug into an Optical Network Unit if you had an active Fiber line in your NID (grey box outside).
post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-24, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

No kidding, I mean to think about all the info coming through there.....

Thanks for looking into that for me Macman, I went to the "2wire" site, but it really didn't tell me much either.

Now that I know I'm good-to-go I feel better!!!
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-24, 06:11 PM
mth
Rookie

About the wireless!

There is no additional wireless router. The main set top box - with the hard drives in it has the wireless built into it. Still wireless G but 4x farther signal.

Overall its a great service!!
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-24, 07:26 PM

Just to clarify, the wireless is actually coming out of the 2Wire gateway, not the main set top (VIP 1216). It is not turned on by default. The installer should offer to activate it (contractors get paid extra for networking, so it's pretty much a given) and if they don't, it would normally be $99 to get home networking at a later date (someone with enough knowledge could log into the router and activate it themselves).

With Classic TV, they normally have to put in a router, but the new system is integrated, as someone mentioned, so I think this is why they're offering it for free on all new Ultimate installations.

The installer should write down the wireless settings for you (network SSID and password, as it is encrypted by default).

post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-24, 10:24 PM

OK - tried to read everything and make sure I understand the whole install... have a couple of different scenarios...
1) My house has wired network connections as well as coax from a main point in the house, where the phone line currently enters the house as well. Would they install the 2 wire there (maybe in my suspended ceiling) and then take advantage of all of the existing network cable to go from there to my main TV location as well as to my wired home computer? Or would they put the 2Wire by the TV in my living room and then try to work backwards from there? Or would they put it where my existing Modem is for MTS high-speed?
2) My in-laws are thinking about this as well. They have TV on main floor and wired computer up on the second floor (where their current MTS modem is). Coax running from a mian point in the basement to all the other TV's inth house. Trying to avoid having the house messed up too much... same questions as above.... typically where would the installer put the 2wire so they don't have to rip up the walls too much?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in