MTS Set-up question - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-01, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

one of these MTS threads should be stickied already......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-05, 04:55 PM

How does the cabling work?

Does the 1216 get it's feed from the UTP feed entering the hose as it did on the older MTS TV setup?

How do the 1200s get their feed? Coax? UTP?

Is it home run?
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-06, 04:16 AM

Cabling is like this:

Feed from outside goes to DSL filter, then to 2wire gateway on cat5 (UTP as you say) then from 2wire it goes to 1216 on another cat5, and the other (up to) 5 1200's on coax. Internet is cat5 or wireless (built in wireless G router).

post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-06, 12:59 PM

Quote:
one of these MTS threads should be stickied already......
It'd be nice to have a sub-forum actually...
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-06, 10:44 PM

Let's not press our luck, we were lucky enough to get a thread stickied. But I do agree, with so many posts we should have our own sub-forum.
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Cabling is like this:

Feed from outside goes to DSL filter, then to 2wire gateway on cat5 (UTP as you say) then from 2wire it goes to 1216 on another cat5, and the other (up to) 5 1200's on coax. Internet is cat5 or wireless (built in wireless G router).
Sorry, a little unclear about this..... does the cat 5 to the other TV's come from the 2Wire gateway or the 1216 box?
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 10:32 AM

All the TV's are fed from the 2-wire gateway, it is basically the internet and TV hub for the house
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-11, 12:23 PM

It's basically a 4 port router, so one connection goes to the pvr (1216) another connection goes to a computer, and then the remaining 1200's connect to the coaxial connection which can be split 5 ways.

The splitter is configured weird, as the input is not used. One of the outputs is used as an input, so a 4-way is basically a 3-way in this case.

The remaining 2 ethernet ports can be used for internet, but wire installstion for two more devices is not included in the installation.
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-17, 01:52 PM

Just out of curiosity, is the 2wire gateway have a gigabit switch on it? If so, is cat 5 really enough to get gigabit speeds? Also wondering because I have Cat5 to every room in the house and might not require a re-wire if that is good enough.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-18, 02:54 AM

Nope, the 2wire website says 10/100. The model is 3800HGV-B if you want to do some searching. Also, cat5 is only used to feed the main tv, and any consecutive tv's (up to 5 more) are on coax. The main reason is not to tie up the remaining two ethernet ports, but I think it's also the cost of cat5.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-19, 05:13 PM
Rookie

Reason

The reason for the Coax to all of the rest of the set-top boxes is due to installation costs. Most houses are already prewired for coax to each TV throughout the house.

It would take considerably more time to install new Cat5 (plus a switch for more ports) to each TV when the coax infrastructure already exists. The bandwidth available on the coax is defiantly enough to pump SD to the other TVs.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-19, 05:28 PM
Rookie

I am about to upgrade my MTS service at home myself and I now understand that Cat5 is to be ran to a single HD receiver, however, is this the case if I am getting a second HD box?

I am going to assume it is, but would like to know for sure, as I have CAT5e going to every TV location, but don't want to use that line as it's for a PS3 (wireless doesn't cut it when streaming from my UPnP NAS).

I can run a new cable as I'm sure they don't install the wall jacks for a clean install, but want to be sure that this is how things are going to go before I do the work.

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

FYI, for the CAT5 bandwidth question posted earlier; if you have made your own and run CAT5e cable throughout your house you should be able to support Gigabit Ethernet without a problem as long as you don't run farther then 100 meters from your router/switch. CAT 6 is best, but is more expensive and needs pre-made cables (not dyi) for the most part (for above 1000baseT). Regular CAT5 might be a little more questionable. It all has to do with the allowable impedance in the cable and interference that the cable is susceptible to.
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 12:30 AM

I would assume you can run a cat5 to the other receiver but I don't know for sure. I think they just use the existing coax to avoid having to run new wires, but if you've already got them, i'm sure they'll work fine.
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 02:40 AM

All the receivers are capable of HD. It's just the main receiver (VIP1216) that is fed via cat5 from the 2Wire gateway. All other receivers (VIP1200, up to 5 in total) are fed via coax from the 2Wire using a technology called HomePNA. The 1200s are capable of being fed with cat5, it just ties up more ethernet ports on the 2wire (and like it was said, apparently cat 5 costs way more)

The installer is supposed to run a coax line test to verify that the coax connections are good. I think it checks bandwidth, signal loss, etc. If it fails, it might be due to a bad F-connector, coax wire, barrel, splitter, or any combination of those. Makes things very frustrating if you can't pinpoint the cause. Can take up a lot of time!

AFAIK, MTS standards are that the HPNA test *must* pass before the installation can be considered complete. They even want the results emailed to them for every customer (well, the one's who have more than one TV.) I think it's to increase reliability/reduce service calls.

You should see what the test screen looks like. Especially for someone with 6 set tops. There's two way communication between each receiver, so the test program shows arrows going every which way. One red line and the whole test fails.
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 01:44 PM

Smile Finally the new MTS Ultimate Service is available

Finally I got word today the new MTS Ultimate service is available to me. I have them booked for December 11. I have a few questions.

1) We have the MTS highspeed internet right now, is their any advantage this new system will give me for the internet? I have just recently purchased a new plasma with internet ability and a PlayStation 3 with the same internet compatibility. The TV needs to have an Ethernet connection. So should I just but a router or is this new system capable of helping with this?

2) I am coming from StarChoice(Shaw Direct), so when they put the PVR in, which TV should it be placed at or does it matter? I have three hd tv's.

thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in