MTS HD Promotion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 11:38 AM

They are also offering , in addition to the two HD boxes & PVR functions for life, a $72/mth for the first 12 months deal. That is basic TV plus nine themes, HS Internet, and phone with the LD package included. First month free.

That works out to approximately $792 for the first year including the free month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 12:27 PM

Quote:
My thoughts exactly...those are the two premier Sports Packages...and with MTS being the only provider to actually limit each residence to 3 streams...(only 2 of which are in HD)...MTS is still not even close to being in the game!
Seeing as my monthly bill for phone/internet/TV will be about $30 less a month than what it was with Shaw, and I'm getting more HD channels and arguably better quality, and my internet speeds are faster than Shaw's for less money, I'd say they are VERY competitive...
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 01:36 PM
Veteran

Without question MTS has created it's own niche...if you are on a budget or there is only one TV...it's a great system no doubt.

However, if you have a large family and some extra coin...it's not in the same league as Bell-TV.

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
My thoughts exactly...those are the two premier Sports Packages...and with MTS being the only provider to actually limit each residence to 3 streams...(only 2 of which are in HD)...MTS is still not even close to being in the game!
MTS is more for people who don't care about sports. If you want the best sports package get shaw or Star Choice.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
Without question MTS has created it's own niche...if you are on a budget or there is only one TV...it's a great system no doubt.

However, if you have a large family and some extra coin...it's not in the same league as Bell-TV.
funny, I have 4 TV's and a full family, and we have no problem with MTStv. Seems to me that MTS has more that a niche market. I can say exactly the same thing about Bell. It sucked for me, since I could only watch 2 shows at once unless I got anothe LNB, I had to buy a box for each tv, the quality sucked big time, the custoemr service sucked big time, no VoD sucked big time..... on and on, seems to me that Bell is a niche player and in my opinion you are correct Bell is not in the same league as MTS, since Bell sucks big time.

wow that was as productive a troll as your comments dm_4u.
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 01:44 PM

I care about sports - it's nice to actually see the after-goal celebrations rather than a bunch of exploding lego blocks...
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 02:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
funny, I have 4 TV's and a full family, and we have no problem with MTStv. Seems to me that MTS has more that a niche market. I can say exactly the same thing about Bell. It sucked for me, since I could only watch 2 shows at once unless I got anothe LNB, I had to buy a box for each tv, the quality sucked big time, the custoemr service sucked big time, no VoD sucked big time..... on and on, seems to me that Bell is a niche player and in my opinion you are correct Bell is not in the same league as MTS, since Bell sucks big time.

wow that was as productive a troll as your comments dm_4u.
I'm just pointing out my two cents worth here...and I'll address your concerns...

First off I doubt you ever had Bell-TV...as you do not need a second LNB to watch more than two shows at once...you simply need another receiver...and the same is true for MTS...only you have to rent them...with Bell-TV you have a choice...rent or buy...

You are correct there is no VOD with Bell-TV...however it is only available in Standard Definition on MTS...and I only watch High Definition...so this feature means nothing to me...(it may mean a lot to others...just remember it does take away one stream and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is a cost associated with it)...also with the ability to record 4 HD shows at once...I always have something to watch.

You may have 4 TV's and say MTS is fine...however I don't see how that is possible unless people are watching the same programs at the same time...in different rooms...with no recording possible at that time (due to all 3 streams being used) but hey if it works for you that's great.

I have two dual tuner HD-PVR's, one other HD receiver and one SD receiver for four TV's...three of which are HDTV's.

Everyone can watch whatever channel they want...and two people can record another HD channel while they watch live HD programming...as we are not restricted to 3 streams.

The ability to watch pre-recorded HD programming while recording 4 HD shows at once is also an option with this setup.

And as far as customer service goes, it has been my experience that each and every Communication Company has their own set of faults...and none have proven to be a cut above the rest...they all promise the world and once they have you signed up...could care less about you...much the same treatment as the before and after of car buying.

As for the quality of the picture and sound...I can't speak to that as I have never seen MTS-HD...and all I watch is HD and to me Bell would be hard to beat...as I get no macroblocking whatsoever.

Trust me...I would have liked to buy local if I could have...I even voiced my concerns to MTS directly when they were in their HD infancy...however it's impossible for MTS to supply what I require to even come close to my setup...therefore I mention the downside to make others aware...but I do reiterate...they have a niche.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 03:11 PM

Quick question - why are you posting in the MTS thread if you have no intention of switching to them?
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 03:24 PM
Veteran

Because I live in Winnipeg and have done a pile of research on the MTS-HD service...and so I am telling people what I have learned...so that they can make a more informed decision when they make their purchase and they won't have to do all the research themselves...that's what these forums are for...sharing information.

I'm not saying don't buy MTS...I'm just explaining what MTS-HD's limitations are...
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 05:51 PM

I have 3 HD TVs

So I have 3 HD TV's, With the new MTS HD service, will we be able to watch HD on all three TV's at the same time while watching different 3 different HD channels?
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 05:57 PM
Veteran

If you are talking about live TV...then no...only 2 can watch HD while one person will have to watch SD (all different channels) and to make matters worse...you will not be able to record at that time either...

That's the limitation that was a deal breaker for me...just not enough streams.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the reply to my questions. So if your recording one HD show with the PVR, you can still watch another HD show on another TV then? Are there plans to have more streams in the near future?
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 06:40 PM
Veteran

That's correct...you can watch a live HD program...while recording an HD program and that takes up the two HD streams and leaves only one SD stream.

You have 3 HD TV's and like me it is a shame that this system is so limited in it's usage.

I have discussed this with MTS and they will not be adding any more streams for the foreseeable future...(at least a few years...maybe never).

The reason for this is they told me it degrades the picture quality too much as they have tried it and it failed...trust me I begged and told them I would pay extra.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 07:39 PM

You can subscribe to two "lines", thereby doubling the number of streams available.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-10-07, 07:41 PM

How much extra for two lines? Whats the cost? Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in