"What's New" for MTStv - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

"What's New" for MTStv

Thought I would start a new thread for this.

Was just down at the Home Show after work and talked to the folks at MTStv, also saw the new software on the set-top box. Here is what I was told/saw

1. Next week the new software will be activated in the set-top boxes and it does the following.
- Whole Home PVR. very cool, it makes all your set-top boxes appear to be the PVR. they work just like the PVR with all the controls and the ability to watch up to 3 shows at once - all in HD. Also it does not interfere or pervent you from watching live TV on any other set-top boxes. So you can literally record 2 HD and 1 SD show and at the same time watch back 3 HD shows on different set-top boxes.

- They fixed the aspect ratio problem. someone mentioned the button on the remote called enter or aspect. yup that now works. you push the button and can pick from normal, stretch, zoom1 zoom2, zoom3. it sticks for all channels until you change it. I played with this and it works really well.

- the enter button also does other things when you have the guide or search up (can't recall what they showed me though, but looked like filters and suchs)

- a new menu item called audio (replaces that blank in the menu), all the old audio stuff is now there and a button to turn on "Surround Sound" which apparently refers to Dolby 5.1 and AC3?? (not sure what AC3 is).

- other things that are supposed to be in there are some bug fixes... faster guide access, faster search....

- Here is a big one.... VoD is now the SD stream - it no longer takes a HD stream.

2) new channels coming on Oct 26. (some of us already knew this from the letter we got yesterday.
- 7 SD channels (includes the Accessibility channel that is already on)
- TSN2 in SD any day now, and HD version on Oct 26.
- 20 HD channels including all Rogers Sportsnet, Discovery, History, west coast time shifts. (but 2 channels are for PPV, so may not appeal to everyone).

What they told me was that as of Oct 26, they will have more HD than Shaw, (can anyone confirm that?)

3) For Mozza, I asked about compression. They told me they do not re-compress the signals they get from the broadcasters. They use the highest non-compression?? - yah that is not a word, but not sure how he said it, but basically they have the highest quality setting turned on. Also the new channels will not affect it or require more compression, their service doesn't work that way.

I asked about more streams, they said they can add more streams if they lower the picture quality but they won't do that until compression technology is better and they can compress the channels without customer's seeing a difference. (I hope I got this right), the guy was trying to move on to talk to other people at this point.

So anyone else who gets more info, please add it here.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 08:29 PM

SRG,

Wow. Thank you for all the information. Were they offereing specials/deals for new and/or existing customers?
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 08:50 PM

I got an internal email about the updates, and I don't think I can repeat it word for word as it says confidential, but it basically covers what he said here.

The one thing that apparently doesn't work on the non-pvr boxes (the 1200's) is the pause live tv function.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgjets2004 View Post
SRG,

Wow. Thank you for all the information. Were they offereing specials/deals for new and/or existing customers?
LOL, you know I never asked since I am an existing customer, I didn't expect they would have any deals for me. Maybe someone else will be out at the show this weekend and can ask.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 10:45 PM

Did they give you any idea when the rest of the city will have this service available to them? As i mentioned in an earlier thread a friend got the new service last week and he only lives 7 blocks away from me. Thanks
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman444 View Post
Did they give you any idea when the rest of the city will have this service available to them? As i mentioned in an earlier thread a friend got the new service last week and he only lives 7 blocks away from me. Thanks
Ranman,

Sorry, not something I asked since I already have the service, they were signing up people right there so I assume they can tell who is eligible now. Again maybe if someone else makes it down this weekend they could ask that question.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-25, 11:15 PM

Thanks I appreciate you answering my inquiry. The whole service makes me want to go back to MTS. Been with Shaw Direct(Star Choice) last 2 years and really like the idea of the PVR available on all three tv's in a house. Is their an internet service that goes with this too? Thanks again
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 12:25 AM

Great post, Guy. Thanks very much.

I wonder if they're bumping the OS to Windows CE 6.

I'm not sure what that would mean, but 6 is better than 5, right?
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Ranman,
I have internet with MTS as well, both the TV and Internet use the 2-wire RG that is wireless and wired. I get a discount for having multiple services with MTS, so I guess you can kind of say it goes with the TV service.

Lorne,
not sure about the OS, it could be, although I don't know much about CE and the differences in the versions.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman444 View Post
Is their an internet service that goes with this too?
You can choose from any of their internet plans. They announced Lightning Bolt 32 Mbps and Lightning Super MAX 25 Mbps last week that use the new VDSL2 infrastructure.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=988606
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 04:37 PM

Most of that sounds really exciting, but I'm really disappointed about their comment about quality. It's obvious they are doing some compression, because I certainly didn't see the sort of blocking happening (in the same way) on Shaw while watching hockey that I do with MTS.

I'm going to try and capture some pictures of it and post them here to see what's what.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-26, 07:00 PM

Well the SD channels they are adding are AMC, TCM, Playhouse Disney, TSN2, and i'm guessing Big 10, but what is the other one? I can't think of any others that they could add, other than Salt & Light Television or something? Or is it DIY Network? Eventhough thats not really a new channel, just a relaunch. Anyone know where are TSN2 & Big 10 going to be, basic maybe? Just a guess since they didn't say anything in the letter about the sports packages having any changes, only Family. Well, if anyone knows more, let me know.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-27, 10:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
Whole Home PVR. very cool, it makes all your set-top boxes appear to be the PVR. they work just like the PVR with all the controls and the ability to watch up to 3 shows at once - all in HD. Also it does not interfere or pervent you from watching live TV on any other set-top boxes. So you can literally record 2 HD and 1 SD show and at the same time watch back 3 HD shows on different set-top boxes.

- Here is a big one.... VoD is now the SD stream - it no longer takes a HD stream.

2) new channels coming on Oct 26. (some of us already knew this from the letter we got yesterday.
- 7 SD channels (includes the Accessibility channel that is already on)
- TSN2 in SD any day now, and HD version on Oct 26.
- 20 HD channels including all Rogers Sportsnet, Discovery, History, west coast time shifts. (but 2 channels are for PPV, so may not appeal to everyone).

I asked about more streams, they said they can add more streams if they lower the picture quality but they won't do that until compression technology is better and they can compress the channels without customer's seeing a difference. (I hope I got this right), the guy was trying to move on to talk to other people at this point.
I really appreciate this information...as I'm still holding out hope that I can make the switch to buy local...but would like some clarifications:

1) When talking about watching 3 HD shows from different set-top boxes while recording 2-HD and 1-SD programs...are you talking about watching recorded or live shows?
2) VOD-SD stream...is their VOD HD or SD...and if it has some HD content...does it still only take up an SD stream?
3) 20 new HD channels...you only mention 12...what are the other 8...or are they including the 4 Canadian West feeds...still that would only make 16 new HD channels including PPV?
4) As far as new streams...I was under the impression that they were going to have 3-HD and 1-SD stream after their first (Whole Home PVR) major update???
5) One last thing...does MTS-TV offer Centre Ice and/or Sunday Ticket sports packages...if not do they plan to...and if yes...how many HD channels do they devote to these services?
6) Ok busted...another concern...does MTS sim-sub their American HD offerings with CTV, Global and City-TV?
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-27, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
I really appreciate this information...as I'm still holding out hope that I can make the switch to buy local...but would like some clarifications:

1) When talking about watching 3 HD shows from different set-top boxes while recording 2-HD and 1-SD programs...are you talking about watching recorded or live shows?
2) VOD-SD stream...is their VOD HD or SD...and if it has some HD content...does it still only take up an SD stream?
3) 20 new HD channels...you only mention 12...what are the other 8...or are they including the 4 Canadian West feeds...still that would only make 16 new HD channels including PPV?
4) As far as new streams...I was under the impression that they were going to have 3-HD and 1-SD stream after their first (Whole Home PVR) major update???
5) One last thing...does MTS-TV offer Centre Ice and/or Sunday Ticket sports packages...if not do they plan to...and if yes...how many HD channels do they devote to these services?
6) Ok busted...another concern...does MTS sim-sub their American HD offerings with CTV, Global and City-TV?
dm_4u,

I'll just answer what I can and hopefully someone else will answer the rest.

2) My understanding is that all VOD is in SD. No HD content yet.

5) No Centre Ice or Sunday Ticket yet.

6) No Sim-subbing. Thank goodness. You still get all the american commercials for SuperBowl.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-27, 12:13 PM

These are the HD channels they are adding that I know of: SRC HD, CBC Newsworld HD, CNN HD, Big Ten HD, CBC West HD, Global West HD, CTV West HD, ABC West HD, CBS West HD, NBC West HD, FOX West HD, PBS West HD, Discovery HD, History Television HD, Sportsnet East HD, Sportsnet Ontario HD, Sportsnet Pacific HD, TSN2 HD, and 2 HD PPV channels which equals 20 HD channels exactly. These were all posted in the another thread listing all the new HD theme groups. As far as as VOD is concerned I think it's all in SD as I never heard of them offering any in HD. And in regards to Centre Ice/Sunday Ticket, they don't currently offer them and I don't know if there are any plans to offer them, but perhaps someone else knows more. As for the other stuff, I don't have the Ultimate TV service and don't know the answers.

Also I noticed they are now calling the services Classic TV and Ultimate TV as someone mentioned before and they make no mention of HD on Classic TV, anyone know if they are dropping HD on Classic TV altogether? Perhaps most of those with HD switched to the Ultimate TV service and now they have no reason to keep the channels on the Classic TV service on the 50s channels and will get rid of them. Anyone know more on this?

EDIT: Here is the post, posted by Lorne, with all the new HD theme groups:

I just got some more mail from MTS.

On Oct. 26 they are rolling out new HD Channels and re-organizing the packages.

Free HD - $0/month
CBC, WGN, Showcase, A&E, Radio-Canada, CBC Newsworld, APTN, NG, CNN, The Score, Speed, Big Ten Network HD.

HD Starter - $6/month
CTV, ABC, City, NBC, PBS, HBO, Superchannel, CBS, Global, TLC, Fox, Encore Avenue, Movie Channel

HD Timeshift - $3/month (You don't need to subscribe to the SD equivalent of channels in this Group)
CBC, Global, NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS, PBS, CTV

HD Discovery - $4/month
Dixcovery, History

HD Sports - $3/month
Sportsnet (all 4 feeds), TSN, TSN2, Raptors

HD Hi-Fi - $4/month
Rush, Equator, Treasure, Oasis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in