"What's New" for MTStv - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 11:59 PM

It doesn't look like they'll be adding HDnet this time around, unless the 2 ppv channels aren't part of the 20 channels they are adding. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-01, 11:47 PM

Does anyone know if they will be adding the options to be able to set your PVR online and on your cell phone? Is this feature coming to MTS?
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 10:17 AM
Rookie

Aspect Ratio?

Last nite I turned on the tv to find that on an HD channel IE Oasis I cannot lose the black bars on the top and [email protected]@!! only with the zoom on the aspect can I fill the screen?
I hope this is not permanent if it is good bye MTS!
Any ideas guys?

--------> Got it.....needed to go into the STB and reset the aspect and tv settings there following the update.!

Last edited by rlecocq; 2009-10-02 at 11:13 AM.

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-16, 07:10 PM

For those wondering, Big Ten Network will be on 203 SD and 445 HD. Also DIY Network will replace Fine Living at the end of the month and Nickelodeon will replace Discovery Kids on Nov 2nd.

Edit - apparently DIY Network replaces Fine Living on Oct 19 although apparently it won't be on Shaw until the 29th, just in case anyone's wondering. My source btw is an MTS rep via email.
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-17, 02:52 AM

rlecocq, if you didn't find it yet, there's also a nice new feature since the update. Go to a Standard Def channel, and while watching it, press "enter" at the bottom right of the remote. A little menu pops up at the top right. You can choose "stretch" (I think that's what it says) so that it'll stretch any content to fit, but when you go back to an HD channel, it'll still be full screen (un-stretched).

I'm glad they added that one.
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-17, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I'm glad they added that one.
It's a small change, but an important change. I was surprised they didn't include it from the start.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-17, 05:40 PM

Forgot to add that this is only in 720 and 1080 modes.
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 08:33 AM

So can some tell me if I understand the amount of streams into a house etc. The number of streams are 3 in total, 2 HD and one SD? Is that correct? If I record 2 HD shows can I watch a third show already recorded on the hard drive?

I have 3 HD T.V`s in the house and 2 are HD dual turner PVR`s and one is a just a HD with no PVR and a fourth is just a SD PVR. With only 3 streams am I limited what can be watched and not watched on all 4 T>V`s? I am getting this correct?

Please advise if I get this or if I am wrong in my assumption? If I am right then MTS is to limited for my set up. Damn if that is right then I will stay with Bell T>V and continue with the great retention offer.
Let me know......
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

the 2HD and 1SD are "Live" streams. on top of that you have 3 HD "PVR" streams. They are independant so you can record 2HD and 1SD, at the same time you can be watching back 3 different HD programs from your PVR on 3 different Set-Top Boxes all at the same time.
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 10:21 AM

As RandomGuy indicates, the Live and PVR streams are seperate. However there is a limit on the number of streams you can be watching and recording at the same time. If you have 3 or more TV's going at the same time, it's likely that at some point someone is going to be blocked from watching something. It doesn't happen a lot and I find it's an acceptable limitation.

However, if there's anything we've learned from this board, it's that some people definitely find this limitation unacceptable. This may be your experience, in which case this particular service may not be for you.

It's your TV, you should get the service that's right for you. The price, quality, selection and PVR service on MTS works for me, but if you have lots of people watching different things on different TVs, you may find it's not the best choice for you.
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the info, but Iam a little confused, if my wife is recording 2 HD programs and not home, my son`s PVR with Bell can do the same thing or a combo of watching one channel and recording another or recording two channels and he can watch a recorded program on the PVR. What I have asked is kind of the max on Bell but does happen, just trying to figure out all the options before I leap. As I said before here at DHC going to MTS from Bell is going from one crappy provider in customer service to another....lol

From what you guys have told me that can`t happen on MTS? Am I getting this right?
post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Recon,

I know it is a bit confusing, but what it think you are asking is can you be recording 2 HD programs on one PVR, and a second PVR is recording a SD channel, and still be able to watch PVR recorded TV. The answer is YES you can do that.

When Whole Home PVR came out here is what I did to test it. (I have 4 TV's, but only needed 3 to test this.)

TV1 - The VIP1216. - Setup to record 3 programs simultaneously (475 - TSN HD, 422 - CTV HD, 104 Discovery SD) + I then accessed my PVR and turned on a HD movie I had previously recorded. - so one TV was recording 3 shows and watching back a single HD show.

TV2 - tried to tune to a live channel - I got a conflict screen - all streams in use, I then turned the TV to channel 104, and was able to watch it as it was a live stream already in use. Then went to PVR, and turned on a different HD movie I had previously recorded (different than the one already on TV1)

TV3 - Did the same thing as TV2, - got conflict on a new live stream, but able to watch an already live program (475, 422, or 104). and was able to watch back a 3rd HD show from the PVR.

So on 3 TV's I had 3 live programs recording (2HD, 1SD) and watched 3 different HD programs from the PVR all at the same time. Total of 6 programs all on at once 5HD and 1 SD.

Hope this helps
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 08:38 PM

Yes that explains it perfectly. I like it it but find that it will conflict sometimes in the household. So I have to investigate how much it will conflict, and it is not in my area, soon Iam told.

Thanks guys, forthe vast majoroity of people 3 streams for recording and the ability to watch already recorded etc will work. Not just in my house....lol.

This is a good system, this will hurt Shaw not as sure about Bell, but having it all installed cleanly and no dish or switches does have some merit. I am getting the house painted and the roof re done next spring so this may be the time to clean up all the Bell stuff and by that time MTS will have all the kinks worked out and the two (MTS and Shaw ) will be fighting in the trenches to get and keep customers... Love that, so good for the customer.

Anybody have any ideas what Shaw`s response to this will be? I think they have to respond, if I was looking now between the two and not looking at Satellite I would jump to MTS.
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-25, 12:01 AM

Shaw is too busy buying up other companies to worry about MTS.
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-10-25, 09:55 AM

Why hasn't an MTS thread been stickied like SAsktel and Bell????

anyway, all looks good......when I get my new TV I will get it ALL!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in