"What's New" for MTStv - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-27, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
I really appreciate this information...as I'm still holding out hope that I can make the switch to buy local...but would like some clarifications:

1) When talking about watching 3 HD shows from different set-top boxes while recording 2-HD and 1-SD programs...are you talking about watching recorded or live shows?
2) VOD-SD stream...is their VOD HD or SD...and if it has some HD content...does it still only take up an SD stream?
3) 20 new HD channels...you only mention 12...what are the other 8...or are they including the 4 Canadian West feeds...still that would only make 16 new HD channels including PPV?
4) As far as new streams...I was under the impression that they were going to have 3-HD and 1-SD stream after their first (Whole Home PVR) major update???
5) One last thing...does MTS-TV offer Centre Ice and/or Sunday Ticket sports packages...if not do they plan to...and if yes...how many HD channels do they devote to these services?
6) Ok busted...another concern...does MTS sim-sub their American HD offerings with CTV, Global and City-TV?
1) Sorry, was referring to watching back PVR recorded shows. Still only 3 live streams.

2) SD VoD only right now, and it only takes a SD stream now. I would guess that HD VoD would likely have to take a HD stream since it would require HD bandwidth.

3) They said 20 and rattled off a few of the biggies, others filled in the blanks there (thanks)

4) here is what they said about that, they don't compress HD streams but if they did they could add more streams, apparently AT&T compresses the HD down from 9M to 6M so they could add another stream.

5)Sunday Ticket perhaps next year.

6) still don't understand that so I can't answer it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-27, 07:58 PM

I can't believe they can honestly say they don't compress. They certainly do.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-27, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
I can't believe they can honestly say they don't compress. They certainly do.
how do you know that? what they said was they take the HD signal they get from the broadcaster and they push it through at the highest rate they can. the analogy was like 10 when saving a jpg.

if you don't believe me then so be it, if you don't believe them, so be it, frankly I don't care... you believe you saw some blocking on a show, I personally have NEVER seen it and I watch sports all the time. Believe what you want, keep the service, cancel your service, whatever, no skin off my nose

post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-28, 08:00 AM

Quote:
what they said was they take the HD signal they get from the broadcaster and they push it through at the highest rate they can.
Having had Shaw, and now having MTS... I see that both have compression. Shaw's picture is clearer at times, while MTS wins with quality at times. But I've noticed, especially during football and hockey, that the background field/ice surface shows the signs of compression.

Watch some hockey this week - if the ice surface seems 100% clear to you, then you aren't getting the same problems I'm seeing.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-28, 08:34 AM
Veteran

It may be best if you both state the type of TV you are feeding as it could have something to do with the sets being different.

Also I don't know...but I would definately assume all cableco's/satellite/IPTV use some compression.

MTS stating they send it through at the "highest rate they can"...is the first clue.
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-28, 10:48 AM

Quote:
MTS stating they send it through at the "highest rate they can"...is the first clue.
Exactly.

I'm using a Panasonic 42" plasma. When I had Shaw, I didn't see any blocking when on a long shot of a football field, but usually when a close up of a post-touchdown celebration was on, it was lego city. On MTS, there's some blocking on long shots of the field, but it can handle celebrations and logo sweeps, that sort of thing.
post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-28, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

I have a 48inch LG Plasma set to 1080i (TV is 4 months old).

I have watched NFL, CFL, NHL, Golf, Nascar on TSN HD, CBS HD, NBC HD, and Global HD. I have never at anytime seen any macroblocking at all. There are times where I might get the swirlly grain in the background that is indicative of MPEG4, but never in any form that would reduce the quality of the main action.

I made a point of watching over the weekend to see if there was anything even on Sports Central (TSN HD) since they have all the sport highlights and and nope not a single issue.
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-28, 01:00 PM

Quote:
There are times where I might get the swirlly grain in the background that is indicative of MPEG4, but never in any form that would reduce the quality of the main action.
That's what I'm talking about! On Shaw, the "swirly grain" wasn't present - only when there were scenes with rapidly changing colours (closeups of post-goal celebrations or logo sweeps) would you see some serious blocking (to the point of losing the idea of the picture)... like this:

Where with MTS, this is almost a constant problem in the background when there is a solid colour (like the white ice surface, or a green football field).

It doesn't make it unwatchable, but it's something that the other providers avoid in their signal... which tells me something is up with MTS and their compression algorithms...
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-28, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
That's what I'm talking about! On Shaw, the "swirly grain" wasn't present - only when there were scenes with rapidly changing colours (closeups of post-goal celebrations or logo sweeps) would you see some serious blocking (to the point of losing the idea of the picture)... like this:

Where with MTS, this is almost a constant problem in the background when there is a solid colour (like the white ice surface, or a green football field).

It doesn't make it unwatchable, but it's something that the other providers avoid in their signal... which tells me something is up with MTS and their compression algorithms...
I haven't seen that blocking you show in your photo when I watch TV. the swirling I am talking about is like a very light grain and not in solid colors, only in multi-colored areas that are out of focus - definitely not blocking.

Also that photo is not from MTStv, TSN HD is on 475 and the graphic on the bottom of the page with the channel number is no where near what the interface looks like.

You need to clarify your post, because it seems to infer that the picture came from MTS tv and that is misleading to say the least.
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-28, 05:09 PM

Judging by the channel number I would say that picture was from Shaw HD, but that's just a guess. Perhaps there is a problem on your end and not with MTS, as others don't seem to have any problems.
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-28, 11:04 PM

It says right on my post that the picture is an example from Shaw. I will try and get a screenshot from MTS to show what I'm experiencing once the NHL starts.
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-28, 11:17 PM

I wonder if MTS will be offering the new Nickelodeon Canada starting Nov 2nd? Perhaps this is the 7th channel they will be adding in SD, since I can only think of six based on info we've gotten so far. I wonder where they will stick it too, since the family pack is pretty full now and I doubt it will be basic. Anyone know?
post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-29, 10:41 AM

vjose78, I think MTS will put Nickelodeon Canada in the Kids Plus theme to replace Discovery Kids.
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-29, 01:30 PM

I doubt they are replacing Discovery Kids since Discovery Kids is not disappearing nor being rebranded. Nick is a brand new channel.
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 11:23 AM

Anyone hear if HDNET is coming to MTS?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in