MTS IPTV/HSI and 3rd party routers help. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

MTS IPTV/HSI and 3rd party routers help.

Hey,
I'm getting the IPTV installed and am not sure what to do about my wireleess part for the internet. They said they are not responsible for 3rd party routers as they supply you with a router/wireless router. I have an Apple Airport Express that I'd like to use, but I'm unsure of how to hook it up/configure it with this new DHCP system. Would the MTS supplied wireless be 811.n, and will it work with my iPod touch as well as the Airport Express? I wonder if the installer would set it up for me.
Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 12:11 PM

Hi, I'm a contractor that works with the new system daily, so I'll give you my 2 cents.

It is a G router, not N unfortunately. But internet speeds aren't anywhere near G yet, so unless you're gaming or transferring large files between computers, i think its a moot point.

MTS is not responsible for setting up your router, but some installers will anyway. Most likely not, with it being mac. That scares a lot of them away. Google "MTS 3rd party router" and look at the first result. That should help you a little. I think the "Airport Admin" program (under applications, then utilities) or whatever its called has a setting called "Bridge mode". Put it to that, and also try and change the IP of the airport to 192.168.100.200

The MTS router will work wirelessly with the touch, and it should work with your existing router, but you could probably just pack away yours for now, unless yours is N and you are set on still using it.

HTH! Good luck
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 12:52 PM
Member #1

The first Google result is this thread but try this link. Its a .pdf file from the MTS website entitled How to Configure your internet router.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 01:52 PM

Thanks Hugh, I was in a hurry so I didn't have time to say "go to the link with the pdf file." I didn't think this forum would come up first!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 02:16 PM
Member #1

Macman, you're welcome. Its actually quite a common occurrence!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-18, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks a lot for your replies guys.
The installer just left, and he actually had no problem setting up my D-Link router and my Apple Airport Express. The Apple router is "N", so that and the fact that I just got it a few months ago is why I wanted to use it.
Had a bit of trouble with the Apple router at first, but he just reset the
D-Link router and everything worked after that.
In total, he was in and out in in just over an hour.

Now I just need to become familiar with new remote and PVR.
I don't have an HDTV yet, but atleast now it's all set up for when I do get one.
Thanks again Macman and Hugh.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-09-20, 02:15 AM

You're welcome. I'm hoping it comes to my area soon.

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in