MTS changing email service soon - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 07:48 PM

Yup, I'm SUPER peeved about the "email switch" with MTS. In fact MTS has dropped email altogether, it's not a switch. What I hate the most besides the daily timeouts with MTS Windows Live giving an "ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD" prompt, are the TV commercials touting this drop of their email service as "fantastic new features" starring Cindy Klassen. They can spend the money for these ads, and to pay Cindy Klassen, but can't pay for any email. As a long time customer with MTS this angers me to no end.

The other option, SHAW, was very inconsistent for speeds and generally slower than MTS in my area. But it's been a while maybe I will try them again.

I didn't want to switch my email because most people I know with MTS have had nothing but problems with WIndows Live Mail. I had no choice as Oct 31 was the deadline so I switched 2 days ago. Since then, I've had the "ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD" prompt on average 3 times a day. My friends have had the same problem. I phoned tech support and was passed on to a friendly tier 2 tech who said that he's never heard of this before. He tried to blame Outlook 2007, yet I haven't had this problem with MTS before.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8706/captureds.jpg

I tried all the kb article fixes (recreated my account and pst from scratch) but to no avail.

Contacting MTS support gives this "helpful" reply.

"Unfortunately this isn't an issue we can resolve, as both products are microsoft you may wish to be in contact with them. Digging through forums this may assist,
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290684 . If you require a call to discuss this, please let us know a good time to call you. But agani we dont have control over the pc keeping the password correctly.

Regards

MTS Support--"

This has nothing to do with what part of Winnipeg you live in, as your email now has NOTHING to do with MTS (although, they conveniently spin it as such). What happens now with your email is entirely dependent on Microsoft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-10-29, 05:32 AM

Never used any Provider's email service (and that includes MTS) ...

Always using FREE web based email service(s) ...
post #108 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-10-29, 03:30 PM

^^
Which now will be the case for all MTS customers too

post #109 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-10-31, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Hey no123one,

have you tried logging in thru the web interface to windows live? If not, give it a try. You might find that they've disabled pop3 access because the system might be acting as though your outbound email is being sent by a spambot or whatever they're called, so it locks out that service until you confirm that it is in fact you doing it.

This is what happened when I migrated my in-laws email. IIRC, it occurred a couple times before it finally stopped doing it.

If I can, I'll try and find more info on it and post it here.
post #110 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-11-01, 08:52 PM

Thanks Macman, you are more help than the MTS techs who deny a problem exists. Very much appreciated. What you say makes a lot of sense, but...

Yes, I've logged inot the Windows Live a few times thru hotmail.com but it doesn't help. The server timeouts happen very randomly, sometimes 0 times per day, sometimes 3 times a day. I leave my PC running 24/7 with Outlook set to check every 10 minutes.

Despite what MTS says, it's not an Outlook issue because last nite I had a similar problem on my iTouch. The server did not respond, then I was told my password was incorrect and I had to re-enter it. Never had this problem before with the regular MTS email servers in about 5 years.

I know two other people who were forced to switch to Windows Live by MTS during the summer and they had the same issue. MTS denied this problem existed when they called tech support too.
post #111 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-11-02, 02:25 PM

This is interesting. Since being forced by MTS to switch to free email hosting by Windows Live, in addition to the random ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD popups once or twice a day, I've had this pop up twice. Notice it mentions sympatico?! (and no I never used sympatico, and I've deleted all mts pop entries from my outlook).

post #112 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-11-02, 02:26 PM

one more...

post #113 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 03:27 PM

I've never seen any of that, nor have I seen any "network password" dialogues appear.

I'd hate to say it, but this sounds like a problem on your end.
post #114 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 11:24 PM

Are you using Outlook, Mozza?
I know two other people who switched to MTS Windows Live with this same issue using Outlook (2007).
Never had a problem in 10 years with MTS before this.
post #115 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 03:54 PM

I'm using Outlook 2007, and Outlook Mobile on my cell. I don't get server timeouts, or any network password issues.
post #116 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-11-06, 01:37 AM
Rookie

Thumbs up

Hi no123one,

I too had the same problem...wow i was pissed at mts...they suck!...what i did to "fix" the problem was I waited around 5 to 10 seconds before i pressed "send/receive"...that has worked 100% for me...for some reason it works...maybe it takes longer for it to load for who knows what reason...this has worked for myself and another family member...good luck...hope it works for you....wait around 10 seconds then press "send/receive"...

PS...mts sucks!
post #117 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-11-06, 04:58 PM
Rookie

I noticed you have it set to every 10 minutes to recieve the mail...hmmm...i dont know if that would fix the problem for you then...but I can "recreate" the problem if i load up Windows Mail and press send/recieve immidiatly...it then prompts for the password...and i had ZERO problems before the switch...
post #118 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-11-12, 11:38 AM

Thanks a lot.
I should wait 10 seconds after what exactly before I press Send/Receive?

My ENTER NETWORK prompt comes up randomly on average once per day. Some days it might happen 3 times, other times it won't happen at all for 2-3 days. I have Outlook set to auto send/receive every 10 minutes.

If I manually press Send/Receive, I don't have the problem at all, only on auto Send/Receive (which is what I've used with MTS for nearly a decade prior to them canceling their email service with no problems).

It's definitely an authentication/time out error of some sort with Windows Live servers.
post #119 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-11-14, 01:01 PM
Rookie

Just to let you know I have Windows Mail and don't know all the features of Windows Live Mail......if you have Windows Live running in the background it might work...im not sure how you have the 10 minutes set up...maybe have Windows Live running in the system tray...

"right-click on the icon of the program in the tray, choose "Hide window when Inbox is minimized" option and minimize the main window. Windows Live Mail would now run be running in the background, so to say; its icon was placed in the system tray.

Failing that, take a look in your registry under :-

HKey_Current_User/Software/Microsoft/Windows Live Mail

And take a look at the HideWhenMinimize entry. Try setting this to "1"
(hex)."

If you already had it running in the background try doing a system restore before you ran the program from MTS(which might have corrupted something) and manually put in the server information for your account...hopefully you still got one for that far back.
post #120 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 05:03 PM

Thanks Binary for taking the time to help.

I believe it's a problem with Outlook (2003-2010 all seem to be affected from what I've read online) and server timeouts or login refusals.

I only run Windows Live Messenger once in a while, other than that, I didn't install Windows Live Mail (didn't need it since I have the Office 2007 Suite which I prefer).

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in