MTS changing email service soon - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-08-16, 09:18 PM
Rookie

Geez, someone remind me if I ever get thie strange idea of relocating back to Winnipeg, to not subscribe to MTS......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-08-19, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

I think it sucks for sure, but for new customers I usually just say don't bother with email, just set up your own hotmail or gmail (I prefer the latter) that way if you change providers, you don't lose your address.

They must have changed the migration process in the past few days, because I tried the link (www.mts.ca/movemyemail) a couple days ago and it said it it was down and sorry for the inconvenience. Tried it for one of my customers today and it's totally different! All it used to do was create the address on Live and remove it from MTS webmail. The rest was up to the customer/installer. Now they've created some program to assist in the migration/setup of email accounts!

At first, MTS decided that setting up new windows live accounts was the customers responsibility ("privacy laws") but a while later they decided the installer would now be responsible again for helping people set it up. THAT was a b**** because we're not allowed to know their password, so I found myself going "ok, now enter your password while I look away" about 20 times. And they'd usually mis-type it or something. Not to mention that Live would prompt for the current password, which was the temporary one that MTS put on our work orders, but the customer would think it's the new one. What a headache!

And then you'd get some customers who want multiple email accounts. So then you'd have to set up the primary account, and go to the "Manage Your Account" link on the MTS Startup page (which appears to be http://www.mts.ca/windowsliveadmin but if you type that in the url bar, it doesn't work) and do the whole process again, except it would say "create a new password" only to prompt again upon the first login to change your password AGAIN! Ugh!

On top of all that, some people want to use their mail client, which is a process in itself, UNTIL NOW!!! I tried it today, and it's way better than doing it all manually, except my customer had 3 aliases (not separate accounts) that didn't migrate properly.

post #93 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-08-20, 11:48 AM

Yeah - the whole thing just stinks. I've been using my MTS email address for over 6 years, and now I have to use Hotmail again?

Nevermind that I have 4 other email addresses under MTS - so I have to do this setup for all 4? And now I can't control them from a central account anymore, either?

This is a downgrade, plain and simple.

post #94 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-08-21, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe if the other accounts are separate accounts (not just aliases) that they will have to be done too (thru the mts.ca/movemymemail link)

There is a way to link your windows live id's, which might do the trick for you. And if you use your email client with the new settings, you probably won't even notice that it's hotmail.

My father-in-law just started having problems with his again (the first day I migrated it, Live stopped allowing emails to be sent. I think it thought a spambot or something had hijacked the account, so I had to login thru the web interface and confirm it was actually me doing it). It's not allowing emails to be sent, and I don't think he changed any settings (doesn't know much about computers). All of a sudden, the smtp is getting refused by Live saying something like "this server doesn't use authentication blah blah blah contact your ISP if..."

post #95 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-08-22, 08:49 AM

People I work with who hadn't gotten a scrap of Junk/Spam email when using MTS webmail have told me they are getting dozens a day now using Windows Live. They didn't give their email address to anyone other than family previously.

Fantastic.
post #96 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-08-22, 05:47 PM

Its been a little over a week since I migrated and I have not noticed any more spam in my email than when I was on the MTS server. I might get one or two a week and that has not changed so far.

One thing that I just noticed today is that because I use Outlook Express 6 and not live.com for my mail when I delete my message on O/E it also moves it to the deleted folder in live.com. So now I have to go delete them out of there as well when I clean my deleted items out.

And as for the problems authenticating I would get problems from time to time with the old MTS system not wanting to let me in. If I tried a few minutes later the problem went away.

I had problems the first day or so after converting trying to have the my.yahoo.com mail reader connect to live.com but that seems to have cleared up
post #97 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-08-22, 08:11 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
Just moved mine over to get it out of the way and it was relatively painless to do using the wizard they provide to modify my outlook express.
My biggest complaint is that they are moving Canadian customers off a Canadian server where the laws of privacy apply to an american server where the customer has no right of privacy whatsoever (US Patriot Act). If you value your rights or your privacy, this is important and MTS should have provided prior disclosure.

Other US-based services such as Gmail, Yahoo, etc., all suffer from the same lack of privacy issue but you, the customer, make the conscious decision to use them ... not your ISP!!

CAVU
92-inch Infocus Theatre
post #98 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-08-22, 09:04 PM

Are there any Canadian based independent mail server providers?

I don't think that I have ever seen anybody advertise the fact that their servers are in Canada and not subject to the US Patriot Act.
post #99 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-08-22, 10:41 PM

cavu, I happened to read this article earlier this month in ComputerWorld Canada titled Don’t use the Patriot Act as an excuse.
Quote:
In reality, “most of the provisions of the U.S.A. Patriot Act are mirrored in Canadian law,” said Fraser.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2010-08-22 at 10:59 PM. Reason: formatting
post #100 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 10:10 PM
Rookie

Thumbs down MYMTS=PITA

mymts sucks. I have had nothing but trouble with it, I find the help system not helpful at all, and the hotmail interface bugs the heck out of me. I hate being forced to use it, and am looking elsewhere.
post #101 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 06:38 PM
Rookie

Exclamation This has huge privacy implications.

This link is an FAQ from MTS themselves, I think everyone should read this.

When I use the current server my mail messages are downloaded to my PC not left on a server. Now all my email will be on a server in another country! Huh… Like this is got to be a breach of contract, how can MTS arbitrarily switch me to a server in another country without my permission?

MTS cannot even answer the privacy question they refer you to Micosoft...WTF?

Here is link and C/P of the FAQ:

http://www.mts.ca/portal/site/mts/me...002a040f0aRCRD

Windows Live FAQs

Will this move comply with current Canadian privacy legislation?
I have a Mac computer. Does this still apply to me?
When are we closing down the MTS email servers?
Will my email be subject to the US Patriot Act?
Where will my email be stored?
Can MTS provide any information on the security of the Windows Live service?
What is Windows Live™?
Is there a charge for the Windows Live account?
How can I access my email?
How will I manage my email accounts?
Can I still use my @mts.net email address?
How does Windows Live protect against spam/junk mail?
Where do I call for technical assistance? Who do I deal with?
Can I get a custom email address?
Will I be without email during the email transition process?
Will I lose my existing emails?
Will I still be able to use Webmail?
Will my email forwarding remain in place?
Can I forward my email to more than one email address?
Will the Windows Live email service provide more functionality than MTS Webmail?
Will I be able to keep my email aliases?
What is MTS Webmail?
What is MTS Webmail Contacts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will this move comply with current Canadian privacy legislation?
MTS entered into a strategic relationship with Microsoft as a preferred supplier of email service to our Internet access customers who wish to keep their @mts.net addresses. We did this to give our customers the flexibility to keep their current email addresses. Windows Live service is provided by Microsoft Corp., so questions regarding the Canadian Privacy Legislation and its application to Windows Live cannot be answered by MTS; the answers require information that only Microsoft would have. For more information, refer to the Microsoft Terms of Service at http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=tou&mkt=en-us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Mac computer. Does this still apply to me?
Yes.

When are we closing down the MTS email servers?
MTS will be shutting down our email servers sometime later this year. Customers will receive notice before this happens.

Will my email be subject to the US Patriot Act?
Windows Live service is provided by Microsoft Corp. MTS cannot answer questions about the location of Microsoft's servers and the application of US law to customers who use Microsoft services. This is because the answers require information that only Microsoft would have. For more information refer to the Microsoft Terms of Service at http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=tou&mkt=en-us.

Where will my email be stored?
Your Windows Live email is stored on a Microsoft server outside Canada. All email sent from and received by your email account will be stored on this server and will be governed by the laws of the foreign country in which the server is kept. This includes email sent to your aliases that gets forwarded to your main email account. Your emails will not be accessible or stored by MTS.

Can MTS provide any information on the security of the Windows Live service?
The Windows Live service is provided by Microsoft Corp. Information about their security can be obtained in the Microsoft Terms of Service at http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=tou&mkt=en-us.

What is Windows Live?
Windows Live Services make online communication simple by giving you one place to check email, store and share photos and files, and stay connected with the people and things that matter to you. Learn more about the exciting features offered by Windows Live.

Is there a charge for the Windows Live account?
The Windows Live account is free of charge. Using your MTS email address on the Windows Live platform, absolutely free, lets you use the locally-recognized MTS brand with your Windows Live email.

How can I access my mail?
There are several ways to access your email:

On the Internet (http://live.mymts.net):
Access your email and Windows Live services anywhere you have Internet access.
Email is backed-up online: no need to worry about your hard drive crashing or running out of disc space.
On your computer (e.g. Outlook® Express, Windows Mail):
Send and receive emails from an email program that sits on your computer.
Option to access your email account anywhere you have Internet access.
On your wireless device (e.g. cell phone, BlackBerry® device):
Set up your cell phone or smartphone (e.g.: BlackBerry) to access your email account.
Set up Messenger so you can chat with friends from your smartphone.

How will I manage my email accounts?
Just as before, you will have full control over your email account settings. From within Windows Live, you can customize your account (e.g. name, personal information), and set up your preferred account configurations (e.g. link email accounts, store an alternate email address in case of a forgotten password, and change your password).

You can manage your email accounts and email aliases through mts.ca. You will be able to add additional mailboxes and create up to 3 email aliases per mailbox. Visit our account administration page by first logging into your Windows Live account.

Can I still use my @mts.net email address?
Yes.

Your Windows Live account comes with a new log in ID of [email protected]. Your [email protected] email address will still be active and emails sent to that address will appear in your Windows Live account.

How does Windows Live protect against spam/junk mail?
Windows Live provides spam and junk mail management as well as a Safety Bar that alerts you to potentially unsafe messages. The Hotmail® Team also helps protect you from email scams by posting safety alerts. When you see the Safety Notice shield while using Hotmail, click on it for updated information.

NOTE: Some security options apply only when using the web-based Windows Live experience to access your email (e.g not on desktop clients such as Outlook).

Where do I call for technical assistance? Who do I deal with?
MTS will continue to support customer technical problems. If you have issues or questions, please call 225-5687 (CALLMTS).

NOTE: As your email service is provided by Microsoft, we are not allowed to register the customer's Windows Live account or have knowledge of any passwords associated with the account. You must register your own account.

Can I get a custom email address?
If you wish to acquire an email address associated to a Custom Vanity Domain Name for your business (example: [email protected]), visit this page for details.

Will I be without email during the email transition process?
No. Moving your email takes a few minutes to complete. During this time, you will not lose access to your email. Once the move is complete, you can immediately authenticate your account at Windows Live and begin to send and receive mail. Mail sent to you during your transition process will not be lost; it will be waiting for you when you complete the account authentication at Windows Live.

Will I lose my existing emails?
No. If you have email stored on our Webmail system, it will be moved to Windows Live and you'll be able to access it following the email transition process (Email Transition Wizard) if you follow all steps.

If you are using an email program (e.g. Outlook Express, Windows Mail), your downloaded emails will remain in place as you complete the move to Windows Live. You will need to update the settings on your email program if you want to send and receive emails after completing the Email Transition Wizard steps.

Will I still be able to use Webmail?
No. Once you move your email account to Windows Live, you will be able to access email through the Windows Live website, from anywhere there is Internet access, at http://live.mymts.net.

Will my email forwarding remain in place?
Yes. If you currently have email forwarding in place, the Email Transition Wizard will ensure it remains in place. The Windows Live email service allows for email messages to be forwarded to one email address.

Can I forward my email to more than one email address?
No. The Windows Live email service allows for email messages to be forwarded to one email address only.

Will the Windows Live email service provide more functionality than MTS Webmail?
Yes. Windows Live mail provides web-based access, spam and junk mail management, a virus checker, as well as more storage than the MTS Webmail service. Further, with Windows Live, you have access to several online and downloadable applications, such as an online calendar, SkyDrive™, and photo sharing. Learn more about the exciting features offered by Windows Live.

Will I be able to keep my email aliases?
Yes. Your email aliases will continue to be available.

What is MTS Webmail?
MTS Webmail is the service MTS customers have been using to access their email on the Internet at www.mts.ca/webmail. Rather than view emails on an email program, customers can view and compose emails with Webmail, anytime and anywhere there is Internet access.

What is MTS Webmail Contacts?
MTS Webmail Contacts are contacts stored on MTS Webmail, the service MTS customers have been using to access their email on the Internet. Customers can store contacts on MTS Webmail, where the contact information (name, phone, email) is accessible anywhere there is Internet access.

post #102 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-09-07, 08:01 PM

Man am I glad I switched to Shaw!

Pan Plasma 42X1; Pio Rec VSX-519V-K; HD cable DCX3400; 2011 iMac, 2.7 GHz i5; Parad Mini-MK3's
post #103 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-09-10, 11:00 PM

Switched today - getting duplicate emails on Outlook and on my phone, slow server checking, and 4 spam emails (I had ZERO on MTS before the switch).

If they weren't cheaper and faster and more reliable than Shaw, and if I wasn't saving $65 a month bundling with MTS over Shaw, and if MTS HDTV was worse quality than Shaw HD, I would have to switch on Monday. Instead, I'm going to stop using MTS email entirely.
post #104 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 11:04 PM

I must be in the right part of Winnipeg as I am not having any of the problems (yet) that I read other people having with the changeover. I only changed over in the last month so I may be just lucky right now.

If I remember properly some of the settings in outlook changed when the wizard did the change over (I think it was the one to leave a copy of the message on the server), I took it out and I am not sure if that's the reason, I but I have not had any duplicate messages at all.

Also no increase in spam at the outlook level, I don't look at the live.com page too much so I don't know if there is any spam in the filtered spam folder at that level.
post #105 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 07:45 PM

"When I use the current server my mail messages are downloaded to my PC not left on a server. Now all my email will be on a server in another country! Huh… Like this is got to be a breach of contract, how can MTS arbitrarily switch me to a server in another country without my permission?" - Jets1961

Actually, MTS didn't switch you to a new server, they dumped their email altogether. LOL. But they put a spin on it to make it sound like they were offering improved services.

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in