MTS changing email service soon - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-04-04, 03:11 PM
Rookie

Might Not Need to Have Transferred After All

"MTS is pleased to announce Microsoft's Windows Live™ as our preferred email service provider."

Note is says preferred.

Also if you go to the MTS email site it seems to say that Windows Live is only necessary for those who signed up after Aug 17th, 2009. No need for the rest of us to switch and give America access to our computers or identity.

http://www.mts.ca/portal/site/mts/me...002a040f0aRCRD

Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 07:56 AM

I wonder if they'd let people switch back?
post #78 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 08:47 AM

Quote:
MTS is pleased to announce Microsoft's Windows Live as our preferred email service provider. To avoid interruption in your email service, please take a few minutes to make the move now and sign up for email service with Windows Live using your current MTS email address.
This is the notice I received which certainly leaves the impression there wasn't a choice otherwise why should there be an "interruption" in the service.

I was told on the phone when I needed help setting up in apple mail, due to the inadequate instructions on the site, that I had no choice.

Pan Plasma 42X1; Pio Rec VSX-519V-K; HD cable DCX3400; 2011 iMac, 2.7 GHz i5; Parad Mini-MK3's

post #79 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 12:03 PM
Rookie

I wonder if they'd let people switch back?

Is it not just a matter of resetting your pop and smtp?
post #80 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 12:15 PM

I saw this posted under Windows Live FAQs.
Quote:
When are we closing down the MTS email servers?
MTS will be shutting down our email servers sometime later this year. Customers will receive notice before this happens.
http://www.mts.ca/portal/site/mts/me...2a040f0aRCRD#3

Edit: I doubt they would let you switch back. Your email would no longer be on the old email servers. All your email would be directed to the Microsoft Live servers.
post #81 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Edit: I doubt they would let you switch back. Your email would no longer be on the old email servers. All your email would be directed to the Microsoft Live servers.
Certainly if we are forced to switch, we can't switch back... but I would hope that if you were on the old webmail system, and they were continuing to maintain it indefinately, they'd let you migrate back (even if you lost any old email on the server)...

All I know is that I haven't gotten a mesage yet, and won't switch over until they force me to.
post #82 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 03:19 PM
Rookie

Conflicting info..

Support at MTS claimed that servers would be frozen at the end of the month in March but there seems to be some quiet backsliding over a mandatory shift which would sidestep privacy laws.

Service personnel claim that MTS didn't want to shell out any more $ for servers whereas the LIVE system would link emailers to Twitter, Facebook and more. They also claimed that Harper is in the process of passing a law which would give CSIS access to mail and phones and identities like they have in the States and that this would sidestep expense for MTS in making that available. It is about profit remember.

I highly doubt in the end we will have any choice other than to comply as monitoring humanity is the name of the game.

Something wicked this way comes, yet they say we have nothing to hide and why worry. But that doesn't protect us from the scam of the movie or record industry claiming piracy to anyone they please without proof where you are forced to pay the fine or go under from court costs to prove they lied. So far MTS has protected us by witholding identites to innocent and guilty alike have been protected, but no more with this LIVE change.
post #83 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-05-19, 04:11 PM

Nearing the end of May, and still no switch for me!
post #84 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-05-19, 06:49 PM

Ditto for me, Mozza
I'm just ignoring MTS.
The status quo works for me.
post #85 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-06-03, 02:31 PM

June 2010 - STILL no email asking me to switch. AWESOME!
post #86 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-06-03, 02:33 PM

That's great - I'll consider dropping them as an ISP completely as soon as someone else elects to come in here that offers a better alternative.

SHAW has cable service here in Pinawa, but it appears as though they have no interest in being an ISP, as there is alrady MTS as well as a local wireless provider known as Granite Internet.
post #87 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-07-08, 03:58 PM

DAMN IT! Just got the switching email today for both of my accounts.

I'm going to wait it out.
post #88 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 04:41 PM

Just got mine today, as with the original notice MTS sent in March it has no date in which we have to change so I am staying put.
post #89 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-08-04, 07:48 PM

Dang it - got this today:

Quote:
At MTS, we realize how important your email service is, so we have formed a strategic relationship with Microsoft Windows Live™. This will give you a web-based email service with the latest technology.

We wanted to remind you to move your email service to Windows Live to enjoy current and future services and features. By signing up for Windows Live service, you will be able to keep your @mts.net (or @escape.ca) email address(es). If you don?t move your email service by October 31, 2010, you will no longer have access to the address(es).
If my email service is "so important" - why would they change it to Hotmail, which ANYONE can get for FREE?

I'm going to call and complain. This is a huge downgrade in service with no lowering of price.
post #90 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-08-16, 08:12 PM

Just moved mine over to get it out of the way and it was relatively painless to do using the wizard they provide to modify my outlook express.

Also modified my Gmail and Yahoo mail access to it and had a small problem with the Yahoo access but finally figured out what it was after about 30 minutes of playing around.

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in