MTS changing email service soon - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-14, 07:00 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate View Post
I guess you have not heard of the police of Canada wanting to have a users ISP store all your Internet data. And that includes all emails, voip, websites visited, etc. Just in case you might commit a crime at some point in your life. About two years of rolling data would be stored.
And the basic thing the Canadian police want is access to your email address and account details without a warrant, or evidence of criminal activity that would allow for a legal warrant.
The US Patriot Act allows for the US Government to access personal information that is held by anyone within the United States and that includes the new MTS mail service!! or any US citizen by two different methods. The first tool which the US Government possesses is found in Section 215 of the Patriot Act. Under this section the relevant Government agency must apply to a court for an order allowing them to access the personal information in question. The information which can be collected pursuant to this court order is very broad. The second tool which the US Government has is found in Section 505 of the Patriot Act. It is under this section that the Government can issue National Security Letters whereby they can request that personal information be disclosed to them. The information can be accessed where it meets the following criteria: that the information sought is relevant to an authorized investigation to protect against international terrorism or clandestine intelligence activities. No court order is necessary for a National Security Letter to be issued; however, the type of information that is retrievable is more limited than through that available in a Section 215 (see above) order.

The US Government's ability to access your personal information differ from the Canadian Government's ability to do so? In Canada, like in the United States, the Government has wide abilities to view personal information that is held in email accounts. The Canadian Government's ability to do this is found in various pieces of Canadian legislation including the Criminal Code, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act, the National Defence Act, and others.

The key difference between Canada and the United States is that, in general, the Canadian legislation requires that all warrants for the seizure of personal information must be issued by a judge! However, it still remains that the application to the court for this order/warrant will be made without the knowledge of either the holder of the information or the person who is the subject of the information.

There have been a number of recent bills introduced in the Canadian House of Commons which would increase the scope of information that is available to the Canadian Government and also decrease the number of restraints preventing the Government from accessing that information.

Should you wish to see further information regarding the Canadian system for intelligence gathering you can visit the website for The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada and review a Position Statement produced by that office.

CAVU
92-inch Infocus Theatre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-14, 07:20 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by david754 View Post
Blackberry's . . . ALL EMAIL AND INTERNET GO THROUGH THEIR SERVERS IN THE US
Blackberry's mail server appears to be located in Waterloo Ontario. Here is the location information for mtsm.blackberry.com (216.9.251.96)

CAVU
92-inch Infocus Theatre
post #63 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 09:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post
Blackberry's mail server appears to be located in Waterloo Ontario. Here is the location information for mtsm.blackberry.com (216.9.251.96)
That's just blackberry.com, the servers that check / store your e-mail can be anywhere. If you owned your own mail server, you could see what IP address is checking from blackberry, but that still might not tell you exactly where the e-mail is being stored.

What I was ultimately trying to convey, was that no one has that security anymore. That argument about e-mail stored in Canada being any more secure / private than that of e-mail stored in the US shouldn't be used . . . or at least not used in bold letters.

post #64 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 10:23 PM

When is the actual deadline?
I've read when the migration process was enabled, and I've read the portion where there is still supposed to be only 5% remaining whom haven't migrated.
(I guess I'm in the 5% too). Meh.

does anyone know when it's going to be too late?
post #65 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-22, 10:21 PM

I'm not migrating willingly, that's all I know... they'll have to force me.
post #66 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-22, 10:55 PM

That was the approach I intended to take.
However, I get home today and my wife has news for me....

post #67 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 09:49 AM

Quote:
That was the approach I intended to take.
However, I get home today and my wife has news for me....
She's pregnant?

(Hah... still nothing for me yet. Sweet.)
post #68 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 10:09 AM

No she's not pregnant, LOL
(I went to see the "pipe-fitter" 7 years ago, so I don't think she'd ever share that kind of news with me).

She got wind of windows live, and decided we should just jump right in....
post #69 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 07:18 PM

Enjoy the ads and the spam !

This was the final straw for me and coupled with the great offer from shaw for internet and phone for a year and then the savings to bundle them all with the shaw hd service, I'm done with mts next month.

Pan Plasma 42X1; Pio Rec VSX-519V-K; HD cable DCX3400; 2011 iMac, 2.7 GHz i5; Parad Mini-MK3's
post #70 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-28, 11:28 AM
Rookie

Well I switched over over a month ago ( actually feb.9) and I have to say I can't tell the difference between using MTS and Live mail. I see no spam and no ads. It takes the same amount of time to get my mail using Dial-up. My friends that I helped switch over ( using Thunderbird) say they are having no problems.
I have two friends that still use Outlook express and they say they can't tell the difference either.
It is very strange that some of you are having problems and some aren't. I wonder if it is something to do with your email program and/or the settings in the program.
post #71 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-28, 12:59 PM

this has actually pushed me to the edge - I'm considering dropping mts as my S.P.
We use one computer at home with outlook 2007 to retrieve/send, and not the servers at windows.live (the other computers can merely access the account - no provision for Outlook to sync all pc's, as we aren't using Office XP (where mail would sit on our own servers)
My free e-mail account provided by G-mail offers the ability to forward mail while it remains on google's servers, so I can have it sent to an e-mail address which allows me to access it any time of day. Windows.live is blocked from some of the services just like Gmail is, but at least I'm not deprived of my messages. If I elect to forward a message from windows.live, it is no longer resident on windows.live's servers.

I'm going to try to contact mts and see if they intend to add this provision - otherwise I'll consider switching providers to our local (in-town) ISP.
post #72 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-28, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbknox View Post
I see no spam and no ads. ...
It is very strange that some of you are having problems and some aren't. I wonder if it is something to do with your email program and/or the settings in the program.
The ads are on your windows live page if you use that to access e-mail.

I'm getting lots of offers to see "pictures" on women's windows live pages who I've never met for some reason now.

I've told my e-mail program (apple mail) to delete the messages on the server once downloaded but they're still there when I look at the windows live page.

Oh well in a couple of weeks I'll be done with this crap!

Pan Plasma 42X1; Pio Rec VSX-519V-K; HD cable DCX3400; 2011 iMac, 2.7 GHz i5; Parad Mini-MK3's
post #73 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-04-02, 12:41 PM

Still haven't been forced over yet. Here's hoping...
post #74 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-04-02, 07:18 PM

MTS e-mail still works and I haven't switched to MSN live. I was so happy when I read in the paper that having MTS phone, HSI, and TV meant I could have a wireless service plus texting for free but the paper was dated Aplil 1st so I don't know what to do now. Plus I don't have MTSTV yet as Shaw owns the exclusive rights to my apt building. MTS is pretty dumb. I might switch all my accounts to Shaw.
post #75 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-04-03, 12:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglips View Post
The ads are on your windows live page if you use that to access e-mail.

I'm getting lots of offers to see "pictures" on women's windows live pages who I've never met for some reason now.

I've told my e-mail program (apple mail) to delete the messages on the server once downloaded but they're still there when I look at the windows live page.

Oh well in a couple of weeks I'll be done with this crap!
I use Thunderbird at home not online. But I do use online when I am using another computer.

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in