MTS changing email service soon - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-27, 10:14 AM

Thanks for your valuable advice, Macman.

Because they have been offline for a few weeks, I migrated their mail (grrrr) and setup MacMail for Windows Live. Will deal with getting away from MTS later.

In the meantime, and sorry to take this thread off the track, would you think that they would require a different modem from MTS if switching from an old PC to a brand spanking new iMac? WHY can't I see a link on the MTS list for setting up a new DSL connection with Snow Leopard (only PPPoE and PPP)?

http://www.mts.ca/portal/site/mts/me...000408120aRCRD

If it's there, please tell me which link to follow. Gosh, I always get such great help from digitalhome, so I am very sorry to sound like such a boob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-04, 11:14 PM

Wait - something just dawned on me... I have 4 of my possible 10 email addresses in use right now. Can I still use the other 6 once I get switched over to Windows Live?

I still can't believe MTS is discontinuing their email service and forcing us to a free alternative. It's about as horrible as it can get.
post #48 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-06, 01:22 PM

I'll say this - I'm not pleased that I can't send e-mail from my e-mail client half the time until I fire up the web browser and log in to the Windows Live web page and answer the security question. Totally sucks.

post #49 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-06, 08:10 PM

Angry

Not happy about it but once I configured Mail it now works like it used to although the email address I used to access through mts webmail I now get in Mail as well. I refuse to use Windows live until I'm away from home.

It was interesting to me that when I did the change the only email programs supported for Macs were outlook and mail IIRC, but I gather thunderbird is now supported.

Pan Plasma 42X1; Pio Rec VSX-519V-K; HD cable DCX3400; 2011 iMac, 2.7 GHz i5; Parad Mini-MK3's
post #50 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-08, 09:05 PM

No Choice

I guess we have no choice but to use an internet based email program. I am not happy about this, but I guess what can you do? It sure gets them off the hook as far as security goes.
post #51 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Actually, they have instructions on the MTS website on how to set up your local email client to the new Windows Live server settings.

www.mts.ca/startup (then follow the text link on the sidebar "Windows Live Email" then click "Email Access Options"

or

http://www.mts.ca/portal/site/mts/me...002a040f0aRCRD
post #52 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 11:38 AM

I'm going to be asking for a discount on my internet services because of this. They are essentially removing a service I was paying for.
post #53 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Geez, so many people are upset about this. I don't even know why they ever made the decision to remove a valuable service that a large part of their customer base was making use of!

And I think I've said it before, I'm the one on the front lines having to tell people that it's now their responsiblity to setup their email because of Microsoft's privacy policy. It's nice being one less (sometimes frustrating) step for me, but I don't like confrontation.

post #54 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 04:01 AM

Exclamation Your "MTS" email now subject to warrantless surveillance by US government!!!

Has it occurred to any of you that your email will now be stored on a server based in the USA and subject to the "Patriot Act".

You no longer have any right of privacy whatsoever!!

"What: The Justice Department asks a judge to approve Patriot Act e-mail monitoring without any evidence of criminal behavior.

When: Decided Feb. 2, 2006 by U.S. District Judge Thomas Hogan in Washington, D.C.

Outcome: E-mail surveillance approved."

CAVU
92-inch Infocus Theatre
post #55 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 08:24 AM
Veteran

Everyone should simply cancel and move to Shaw...(and make sure to tell them why)...then we'd see if they change their minds.
post #56 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-13, 08:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
I'm going to be asking for a discount on my internet services because of this. They are essentially removing a service I was paying for.
That's ridiculous.
They are just changing the e-mail service they provide. Company's do it all the time, maybe not such a major change, but Bell, Rogers, BOATLOADS of US ISP's and others have changed.
The old mail service was seriously crap anyways . . . at least from any computer-savvy persons point of view.
post #57 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-13, 09:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolver View Post
I guess we have no choice but to use an internet based email program. I am not happy about this, but I guess what can you do? It sure gets them off the hook as far as security goes.
They were never "on the hook" for security. PEOPLE, not ISP's or Email providers are the ones that download or allow virus's. MTS would have referred you to your computer vendor / computer professional.

If you use web based e-mail services you are MUCH LESS prone to virus's and spam. And you can't send spam, so all of your friends / associates will be much happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza View Post
Wait - something just dawned on me... I have 4 of my possible 10 email addresses in use right now. Can I still use the other 6 once I get switched over to Windows Live?

I still can't believe MTS is discontinuing their email service and forcing us to a free alternative. It's about as horrible as it can get.
Yes, you can . . . nothing changes there. And you still get 3 Alias's per e-mail . . . for a MAXIMUM of 40 e-mail addresses, using 10 accounts. That's for HSI customers only, dial up only get 1 account.

Like I said, lots of companies do it, they didn't really have a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post
Has it occurred to any of you that your email will now be stored on a server based in the USA and subject to the "Patriot Act".

"What: The Justice Department asks a judge to approve Patriot Act e-mail monitoring without any evidence of criminal behavior.

When: Decided Feb. 2, 2006 by U.S. District Judge Thomas Hogan in Washington, D.C.

SERIOUSLY?!

If you are using e-mail / cell phones / blackberries / home phone / internet, then you've given up your ability to assure 100% privacy . . . there is always the possibility someone can get your info.

This is nothing new.

Blackberry's . . . ALL EMAIL AND INTERNET GO THROUGH THEIR SERVERS IN THE US . . . . SO, just fyi . . . if you were using a "Canadian" server on your blackberry, then you already gave up that privacy.

Again . . . this is NOTHING new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
Everyone should simply cancel and move to Shaw...(and make sure to tell them why)...then we'd see if they change their minds.
Oh come on, shaw's prices / TV / Speeds / Promos / Customer Service is crap compared to MTS.

Just fyi . . . every time you call MTS it's logged, and they can quickly and easily pull up any account history about previous trouble.

I've called shaw on numerous occasions and said "do you have information about the last time I called" . . . they've said No.

I once called trouble in about my phone service to Shaw, ended up calling 4 times, everyone acted like it was the first time and took trouble reports. On the 4th call, they resolved my issue. Took a while but whatever . . . . . well, doesn't end there. A week later I got a call saying "we just fixed it" . . WTF? . . . a month later I got a call "we're still looking into it" . . WTF? . . . almost a month and a half later (this is after the problem was already resolved), someone calls me to ask if my problem was ever resolved because there was still an open ticket . . WTF? Seriously?!!

I'm not sticking up for them, I do think that it could have been done differently . . . but these are accurate / valid answers.

Last edited by david754; 2010-03-13 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Added other quotes. Grammar.
post #58 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-13, 09:03 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I'll say this - I'm not pleased that I can't send e-mail from my e-mail client half the time until I fire up the web browser and log in to the Windows Live web page and answer the security question. Totally sucks.
They fixed that almost 100% . . . . UNLESS YOU ARE A SPAMMER . . . and by spammer, I mean ANYONE who sends crap / useless / junk / forwarded emails to people that don't want them.

Just FYI, if you use Win Live Mail, and FORWARD a message to other people using Win Live Mail, if a percentage of those people click on JUNK, you will be prompted to do that security question. It doesn't happen if ONE OR TWO people click on Junk, but if multiple people click junk, then that means that it was probably a useless e-mail, and it's trying to deter you from bothering others.

JUST FYI.
post #59 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-13, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

I guess you have not heard of the police of Canada wanting to have a users ISP store all your Internet data. And that includes all emails, voip, websites visited, etc. Just in case you might commit a crime at some point in your life. About two years of rolling data would be stored.
And the basic thing the Canadian police want is access to your email address and account details without a warrant, or evidence of criminal activity that would allow for a legal warrant.
What ever happended to the Right of Innocence? without having to prove otherwise.
post #60 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-03-14, 10:24 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by david754 View Post
I've called shaw on numerous occasions and said "do you have information about the last time I called" . . . they've said No.

I'm not sticking up for them, I do think that it could have been done differently . . . but these are accurate / valid answers.
Well...you haven't said one bad thing about what we are talking about here...SHAW vs MTS internet.

The prices are the same for both as is their speed...the only real difference now...is the way they handle their e-mail service...oh yeah...MTS doesn't!

I think you are sticking up for MTS...and that's fine...but please use viable arguments.

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in