MTS changing email service soon - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 12:02 PM
Veteran

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me they have experienced successfully changing all the settings in Outlook 2007.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-07, 10:13 PM
Rookie

Goodbye, MTS

I've been a faithful MTS customer for many years but with the substitution of free Hotmail for ISP email without price reduction I've finally decided to say "Goodbye, MTS" and "Hello, Shaw"
post #33 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-09, 11:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
I've been a faithful MTS customer for many years but with the substitution of free Hotmail for ISP email without price reduction I've finally decided to say "Goodbye, MTS" and "Hello, Shaw"
Good luck with that!

post #34 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-11, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

I still get the odd customer who is getting MTS TV but keeping their shaw internet because of their "10 year old" shaw email address. I don't get it. It's only an email address. Things do change.
post #35 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-11, 09:52 AM
Veteran

Macman...when changing the settings in Outlook 2007 to the new live format...do other people still send to @mts.net?

Also...do we lose the e-mail we already have or is it seamless?

What happens if we don't do anything?
post #36 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-11, 11:39 AM

dm_4u, if you go to http://www.mts.ca/internetsupport/, you'll find most of the info you need. For example under Windows Live Email, Technical Support:
Quote:
Can I still use my @mts.net email address?
Yes.

Your Windows Live account comes with a new log in ID of [email protected]mymts.net. Your [email protected]mts.net email address will still be active and emails sent to that address will appear in your Windows Live account.
Quote:
Will I lose my existing emails?
No. If you have email stored on our Webmail system, it will be moved to Windows Live and you'll be able to access it following the email transition process (Email Transition Wizard) if you follow all steps.

If you are using an email program (e.g. Outlook Express, Windows Mail), your downloaded emails will remain in place as you complete the move to Windows Live. You will need to update the settings on your email program if you want to send and receive emails after completing the Email Transition Wizard steps.
The support site also has detailed instructions for setting up Outlook 2003, 2007, etc. I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere on the MTS site I saw that email would be migrated automatically in March.
post #37 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-12, 03:34 PM
Rookie

Macman...when changing the settings in Outlook 2007 to the new live format...do other people still send to @mts.net?
Yes

Also...do we lose the e-mail we already have or is it seamless?
It stays with outlook, if you mean the MTS online site, that will move when you activate your live mail
What happens if we don't do anything?
As I understand it on the date that MTS deems the dead line ( some time in March.) They will move you to live mail, I would do this myself if I were you.
Because live mail is MSN and outlook is MSN you should be able to follow the directions given at the MTS site.
Let us know how you make out. Live Mail wants a mixed letters and number password so have one ready when you activate. Good luck!
post #38 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-16, 08:51 AM
Veteran

Thanks dbknox...I'll have to try it tonight...
post #39 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-19, 01:59 PM

It's bad beyond belief. Every 2 days I have to sign into mail.live.com, solve a captcha cause it does not believe who I am.
post #40 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-19, 03:01 PM
Veteran

I agree...this is ridiculous...I am paying the same and having to fight for my e-mail.

I'll be switching to SHAW immediately...unless they fix can this.
post #41 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-19, 07:02 PM
Rookie

I have a solution for this, I created a Gmail account, I have my MTS email forwarded it to that, I have Gmail set up on my Outlook 2003, I can receive my MTS email no problem, plus when replying to it it goes through Gmail and not Windows Live so you don't get those problems with confirming it is not spam, etc. Plus the nice thing is you can tell people to use your @mts and you don't have to worry about notifying all your email contacts that you have a new email address (Shaw).
post #42 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-22, 11:35 AM
Rookie

How very strange,people are having problems, once I figured out how to get my Thunderbird setup I see no difference from getting the mail from MTS or from livemail. I open TBird and it connects to livemail, logs in and downloads my mail! I don't know of anybody personally that is having problems.
I have to admit that at first I was quite angry. Especially since livemail is an MSN service and I was using Tbird which is not an MSN program for my email. I was thinking of using the MSN email program that comes with Vista, but I gave Tbird a try and eventually got it working. 2 Days later after complaining to MTS, they sent me an email with a link showing how to set up Tbird. Obviously they cared enough to figure it out for us.
No complaints here now.
post #43 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-26, 12:18 PM

What a pain that was - I finally decided to switch over this morning. Took about 2.5 hours to do all four e-mail aliases I had with MTS. I now have four different accounts on Windows Live, one for each e-mail address I had with MTS. I'm not sure if that is how it is meant to work, but that seemed to be the only option in migrating over. It would be simpler to have one Windows Live account that contains all my MTS e-mail aliases. Maybe there is a way to do that, I'm not sure.

For two of the four e-mail addresses, after doing the migration, Windows Live wouldn't let me sign in with my new account and I had to wait, and wait, and wait. It said it could not access my account. At one point I placed a call to customer service at MTS, but the call back time was 1.5 hours, so I eventually figured it out myself. Sometimes, patience solves your problems.

Getting the outgoing server to work in Thunderbird was trouble until I remembered the settings for smtp were in a separate folder view, and not associated with each account folder.

Tested everything by sending messages to and from gmail from all accounts and it all seems to be working.
post #44 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-26, 02:16 PM

so, setting up email on a new system then...

Just switched to Mac, so planning to use Apple "Mail." It seems that I don't want to set up the account with the pop3.mts.net and smtp.mts.net, right?

I would like to avoid going Windows Live for everyday use, so thinking about setting up through GMail like another poster mentioned...can you advise how I go about doing that? He/she mentioned putting the pop and smtp addys in GMail but won't they eventually stop working?

Please help, desperate to get my new iMac working and MTS refuses to help me since I didn't buy it from them
post #45 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-27, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

cluelessinWpg, if you are an existing MTS internet customer who signed up before August 17th, and still haven't migrated your email to windows live, you can still use the "pop.mts.net" and "smtp.mts.net" server settings in Apple Mail. It's not difficult to set up, but if they're phasing out their in-house email, there might not be much point.

But if you still want to, read here on how to do it. (Their page says it's for 10.3, so it'll be slightly different if your Mac is new.) I don't remember if Mac's are shipping with Snow Leopard (10.6) or just Leopard (10.5) still

If you're MTS account is already through Windows Live, read here on how to set it up in Apple Mail.

My personal suggestion would be to forget about MTS email. I know that's easier said than done, especially if everyone has that address. If you ever cancel your MTS internet (regardless of it being before OR after migrating to Windows Live) you lose that account, so why not just abandon your ISP's email address and setup your own Windows Live (or gmail, etc).

I have my Gmail setup in Apple Mail, but as IMAP instead of POP3. I have to say, it works pretty slick compared to POP3, which is more of a one-way service. I had to fart around to get it working just right. Apparently there are some extra tweaks that the Gmail team haven't figured out yet.

HTH

EDIT: forgot to mention that yes, you can setup Gmail to retrieve POP3 emails. It will only stop working when MTS shuts down their in-house email servers (I forget when) at which point you could migrate to Live and modify Gmail to Live's server settings.

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in