MTS changing email service soon - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 08:45 AM
Veteran

What exactly does this mean?

Do we lose the "@mts.net" e-mail accounts???

Do we have to use a "@live.ca" thingy???

Is this official??

I'm not happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 09:47 AM

I got this further response this morning.

Quote:
Hello,
If transition process is not completed on your part by the end of
March, the account will be automatically moved to a new platform and
any emails sent in the meantime will be stored on Windows Live
servers, so there will be no disruption in terms of service delivery.
By our current stats only 5 percent of our customer base who already
received notification have not completed the transition process yet.
If for some reason you decide to wait until your account is
automatically moved over and find out that you cannot log into
www.webmail.mts.net anymore, you can simply go to
http://mail.mymts.net and log in using [email protected] and curren
password to complete the process. After that you can visit
www.mts.ca/windowslive/screenshots to got screenshot based
instructions on how to setup your mail settings on your computer.

Regards,
MTS Tech Support
Apparently dm4u and I are in the dumbest 5th percentile.
post #18 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 10:29 AM
Veteran

too funny...

Seriously...does this mean that using Outlook is nothing but a memory?

post #19 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 11:38 AM
Veteran

^^^^ One can only hope! ;-)
post #20 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Actually I love Outlook (the full blown package)...never any issues and very usefull feature set.
post #21 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 11:08 AM

Unhappy I am a sack of meat to be bought and sold

I just switched my webmail over to Hotmail or Bing or whatever Redmond is calling their crap factory this month. I still have to switch e-mail client settings on four computers, my Blackberry, and two more people in the household with their assorted computers and mobile devices.
This is the lowest point in my relationship with MTS. If I hadn't upgraded to MTS-TV Ultimate last year, I'd be on the phone with Shaw right now to switch everything over. I'm reluctant to say anything more because I'm so angry I'd probably write something awful that I would regret later.
post #22 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 12:46 PM
Veteran

Instead of Hotmail, why not switch to GMail? It's an excellent service that works well. You can access it via web mail or use a regular email client via POP or IMAP and SMTP. They also default to full encryption on web mail, instead of just the loggin, as on some other web mail sites. If you want to can even set up your own domain (extra cost), so you could have an email address such as [email protected].
post #23 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 02:14 PM

I'm definitely considering it after the crap I've been through today, and gmail is high on my list of options.

Speaking of the crap I've been through today: Third Party Cookies. If I want to log out of Windows Live, I have to enable Third Party Cookies. Seriously. To use this thing I have to make my browser less secure.
post #24 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-01-27, 01:45 PM
Rookie

Now MTS is okay with Live?!

What I find really amusing about this is that about a year ago I tried signing up for a Live account (for my Zune, not for email) and was getting odd errors and when I contacted MTS about it, they told me that they didn't allow MTS addresses to be used for Live accounts because of security and spamming concerns. I guess Live must have improved a lot over the last year...

I have only ever used ISP email accounts - I never trusted having my emails stored with some remote service that I felt (perhaps unjustly) was less accountable. Especially emails related to online bills and banking... I guess that's a choice we are rapidly losing.

On the bright side, I guess this will give me a chance to try out Thunderbird's webmail abilities.
post #25 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-01, 11:27 AM

This is a horrible move on MTS' part. I've let all my co-workers who were thinking of switching from Shaw to MTS (for TV as well), and they all agree - in-house email service is something you EXPECT from your ISP.

I haven't gotten an invite yet, and if/when I do I'm planning on ignoring it. When they "migrate" me, I'm going to call in and play dumb... then "play" angry and demand a discount for this drop in service. Why pay for "features" anyone else can get for free?

I also avoid Gmail like the plague because instead of blocking obvious Spam emails, they just redirect it into a "Spam" folder. I've had a Gmail address for 2 years, I've only ever used it a couple of times... and yet my Spam folder is full every time I log in. Google won't fully block the emails for some reason - they let them through and instead I'm dealing with 500 emails a month from companies that are obvious spam factories...
post #26 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-03, 10:09 AM
Veteran

Has anyone done the switch in Outlook 2007?

Was it a smooth transition?

Did you lose any of your e-mails that you had before the switch?

Are your calendar and contact information still intact?
post #27 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-03, 11:34 AM
Rookie

First most email programs, use a different extention then MSN, they use eml, so Thunderbird etc. will not work without a add-on to decipher the " eml " extention to the format used by Tbird.
The second thing I would like to point out is that us poor folks that live out in the "sticks" and have no access to highspeed are really hurting. Just to open each email we have to sit and wait for our browser to contact the live mail site. I already spend far too much time on the internet, updating my security programs etc.
I usually ( Tbird user) download my email and then open my browser and while I am waiting for pages to open, read my email.
Also when "replying" to an email in live mail, there is no way to see all the questions that were brought up in that email. When I use a thunderbird the copy of the email I am replying to is included so I can check to see any points I may have missed.
Also all my address have to be moved.
I would certainly like to know whose bright idea this was at MTS. Did they simply forget or maybe don't care about dial-up customers.
post #28 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-04, 08:48 AM
Rookie

Well it seems that I am wrong you can indeed use Tbird for Live, I had it working one way and then I lost that ( not sure what I did) . I think it has something to do with username and account name. If anyone has it working I would appreciate knowing how. I have all the port numbers etc and "ssl" "tsl" so I think I am close.
I will be working on it myself and will post back if successful.
post #29 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 12:20 AM
Rookie

I did get Thunderbird working, if anybody needs help with Tbird let me know.
post #30 of 121 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 11:18 AM
Rookie

It's almost as if though I am the only one following this post. If not and there are thunderbird users out there, MTS came through and have the proper settings at
http://www.mts.net/~mtstech8/thunderbird

Wish I had found it before using up so much brain matter.

Tags
mts internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in