MTS HD in Winnipeg...poor quality? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
Shaw Direct/Starchoice has been known for their top HD picture. The issues with MTS quality I believe is the usage of the streams can degrade the picture quality
I am not sure this statement is correct, I read either in another thread I think in DigitalHome or on another site about MTS have something like 25Mb dedicated for TV streams to ensure that there is no degradation. Personally I have never seen a problem with signal degrading even with all streams going in my house.

Macman, can you confirm this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-01-26, 08:19 AM
Rookie

I just got MTS Ultimate installed this past weekend and wow, the picture looks great on my TV. 1080i.
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-01-27, 01:05 AM

SomeRandomGuy, I've never seen anything that would lead me to believe the signal is compressed more depending on how many streams are being used. I don't think they would want to take that kind of risk.

On a similar note, I can't remember when I saw this, but recently I was at someone's house where they had a Samsung flat screen that was about 50". I installed the MTS HD system, and after looking at it, I thought that the picture wasn't as clear as it is on my Sansung 42" 720p with Shaw HD.

Not saying there was something wrong, but I'm kind of wondering if there is a noticeable difference between Shaw and MTS HD I'm sure it's not night-and-day, but I'll be interested to see it once I can get it in my area.

The person said it might be because the lines of resolution are further apart on a larger TV...who knows.

I'd love to somehow have the two systems side-by-side on the same brand/size of TV.

post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-01-27, 05:23 PM

I have no direct or confirmed proof of this, however my suspicion is that MTS or an upstream source of theirs is playing around with the compression settings.

I have had a HD tv and Ultimate tv for about 6 weeks now. Early on compression artificats were noticable, ie pixelation on static graphics, fuzzy backgruond, etc. on specific channels while other channels were clean and crisp. Blu-ray movies played back to the same tv without adjusting setting were also very crisp for the most part.

More recently, the same channels that were fuzzy and pixelated are now clean and crisp on comparable programs.

Nothing on my side has changed so this is definately something controlled by MTS or further upstream (ie the content source).
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 12:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
MTS TV has a lot of issues related to how far you are from their nearest station (they won't even install the new HD for me yet because I'm not in one of the "zones").
I wonder if you're on the fringes of one of their zones. Which means your situation might improve as their upgrades advance. Or it might mean you need to switch back to Shaw.
I excitidly ordered MTS Ultimate Package with phone and internet after being with Shaw for a few yrs. Moved into new house and the installer came out 25th Jan...did all the wiring but they could not get signal. Came back next day tried again... Nope...bad pairing between house and exchange. Cut long story....in the end MTS said sorry your bandwith is too low and we cant provide service!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Mad scramble to get Shaw reinstalled even though I dont want to. ANY COMMENTS PLEASE
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-02-03, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theirishman46 View Post
I excitidly ordered MTS Ultimate Package with phone and internet after being with Shaw for a few yrs. Moved into new house and the installer came out 25th Jan...did all the wiring but they could not get signal. Came back next day tried again... Nope...bad pairing between house and exchange. Cut long story....in the end MTS said sorry your bandwith is too low and we cant provide service!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Mad scramble to get Shaw reinstalled even though I dont want to. ANY COMMENTS PLEASE
wow....sorry to hear about all your trouble. Did get get into any specifics with you?? I find it hard to believe the your area had a green light for HDTV only to find out they made a mistake......

When/if MTS comes around you will not be disappointed.
post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-02-04, 03:29 PM

Have been very happy in my first month.. until this morning. Picture quality breaks and recordings were not showing up....
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-02-05, 10:52 PM
Rookie

Was at friends house with mts hd added on their vizio 47". i found the pic to be more compressed with shaw and one channel, i think it was encore ave(?) showing the fisher king was blacking out for a split second every 30 seconds.

great guide though!
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-02-06, 01:51 AM
Rookie

More compressed then Shaw I mean.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-02-16, 12:15 AM
Rookie

problems with MTS HD quality in Winnipeg

I am having similar issues. Got MTS HD service just before Christmas and the picture quality on HD channels is not nearly as good as I expected. I understand that it will not be as sharp as a Blu-ray movie, but some programs (like 24, for example) actually look better on my old 27" CRT than the new 46" HD set. Grainy picture, pixellation, fuzzy background, blurry foreground images...very frustrating. Everything is connected with HDMI cables and I've compared the 720p and 1080i settings on the set-top box. BD movies look incredibly good, and certain programs like hockey or football games tend to be very good most of the time as well. But the picture quality is very inconsistent and I find that in general, often I'm sitting there paying more attention to the flaws in the picture quality than to the actual show I'm watching. Not sure this is really an improvement over the old digital service on the CRT set.
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-02-16, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers08 View Post
I am having similar issues. Got MTS HD service just before Christmas and the picture quality on HD channels is not nearly as good as I expected. I understand that it will not be as sharp as a Blu-ray movie, but some programs (like 24, for example) actually look better on my old 27" CRT than the new 46" HD set. Grainy picture, pixellation, fuzzy background, blurry foreground images...very frustrating. Everything is connected with HDMI cables and I've compared the 720p and 1080i settings on the set-top box. BD movies look incredibly good, and certain programs like hockey or football games tend to be very good most of the time as well. But the picture quality is very inconsistent and I find that in general, often I'm sitting there paying more attention to the flaws in the picture quality than to the actual show I'm watching. Not sure this is really an improvement over the old digital service on the CRT set.
then there is something wrong......flip between SD ad HD. you will see

Also all SD stations look better on my tube CRT TV......its just the way is. When we choose to "go big or go home" with our TY sets, this is the sacrifice we made. The clarity just is not there unless you watch HD as these TVs are strictly build for HD.

If your HD quality does not give the "wow" factor there is likely something wrong with a setting, or how it was installed.

Hope it all works out
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-02-18, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe View Post
then there is something wrong......flip between SD ad HD. you will see

Also all SD stations look better on my tube CRT TV......its just the way is. When we choose to "go big or go home" with our TY sets, this is the sacrifice we made. The clarity just is not there unless you watch HD as these TVs are strictly build for HD.

If your HD quality does not give the "wow" factor there is likely something wrong with a setting, or how it was installed.

Hope it all works out
i concur about the '24' comment...it is grainy...but that's just the way the show was filmed i think. it's not artifacts from compression, it's grain in the dark parts kinda like when you take a picture in the dark and the iso kicks in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in