MTS HD in Winnipeg...poor quality? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 10:45 PM

Glad to help! I switched to component cables and the improvement is dramatic. The box outputs both signals at the same time so you can pause somewhere with lots of dark scenes and switch inputs on the TV to compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-23, 01:12 PM
Rookie

My apologies for the double post. It wasn't posting my replies at the time(only 3-4 hours later) and now I can't delete them.

I looked into the settings that you mentioned in your link and my TV doesn't have the "RGB Dynamic Range" setting but it does have a setting that deals with RGB Bias and the sliders are set to numeric values mentioned. So I need to try changing those. I think. Anyhow I am also going to try hooking up the component cable and see how different it is.

Thanks sctb1!

J
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-24, 06:26 PM

cant say I agree with the title of this thread.

also I have Zero problems with HDMI.

I have a LG 42 inch MHz true motion. 2.4 ms response....

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe View Post
cant say I agree with the title of this thread.

also I have Zero problems with HDMI.

I have a LG 42 inch MHz true motion. 2.4 ms response....
This is an old post. There was an HDMI issue prior to the upgrade MTS did in October. The problem is gone now, but did exist at one time.
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
This is an old post. There was an HDMI issue prior to the upgrade MTS did in October. The problem is gone now, but did exist at one time.
Actually, the black crush issue is still around. I'm not sure what issue you refer to that was fixed in October (I've only had MTS TV for 2 weeks). Take a look at the link in my earlier post as it explains it very well. Not every TV will have an issue since it depends on the RGB signal negotiation between the TV and set top box (using 16 to 235 or 0 to 255 to indicate colour). The rumor is that Microsoft is aware of the problem and will have a fix in mid 2010. See http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/mes...d=29994#M29994.

All that said, for me component is the cable I need to use until the problem is fixed. I'm perfectly fine with it since the picture quality is stunning and clearly better than Shaw.

Last edited by sctb1; 2009-11-25 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added link to 2010 rumor
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctb1 View Post
Actually, the black crush issue is still around. I'm not sure what issue you refer to that was fixed in October (I've only had MTS TV for 2 weeks). Take a look at the link in my earlier post as it explains it very well. Not every TV will have an issue since it depends on the RGB signal negotiation between the TV and set top box (using 16 to 235 or 0 to 255 to indicate colour). The rumor is that Microsoft is aware of the problem and will have a fix in mid 2010. See http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/mes...d=29994#M29994.

All that said, for me component is the cable I need to use until the problem is fixed. I'm perfectly fine with it since the picture quality is stunning and clearly better than Shaw.
Actually I noticed it for the first time on V last night. The Black suits were just BLACK....no texture.

My LG has no RGB setting, and component didn't do much that I could see anyway.
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 03:04 PM

Sorry, my bad, thought he was refering to the audio problem on HDMI....

I read the link you provided and went into my TV setup and looked that the black level options, I had a Low and High. Tried both, turning it to High really expanded my black levels. - Not that everything was crushed before, but making the change to my TV did increase the range a bit. Now I will have to go in and adjust my contrast.

Not sure I would catagorize this as a service provider issue, as much as a TV set-up issue. every TV needs to be set up for your perferred viewing likes. Just like I set up my computer monitor for what I like I do that with my TV as well.
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 08:02 AM

severe black flashing last night and this morning on TSN CBC and MC....I called and they said a lot of people are phoning about it.

The screen flashes about every 30 sec on both TVs.

They said they are addressing it....we'll see.

Anyone else having this issue on here?
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 01:01 PM

Have seriously considered going to MTS Ultimate just for the capability of the PVR to serve all the attached TV's in the house.

However, went to the MTS store in St. Vital yesterday and have to say that the picture quality on their demo there paled in comparison to what I am currently getting with Shaw Direct (Starchoice). Very sad about that because I really am frustrated with the capability of the Shaw Direct PVR and the Guide.

How do other MTS users feel about their quality? Anyone actually gone from Shaw Direct to MTS and have any comments about the picture quality?
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 07:11 PM

yeah...I was in a store and saw that too. at that time I still did not have it.

Turns out it must have been the set up, because my quality is 100 times better than what I saw in Polo Park store.

Also my sister has Shaw and the quality is identical from what I can see. Couple that with the whole home pvr......MTS wins. IMO
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 2009-12-07, 09:28 PM

got mine installed on friday...no picture quality issues at all! hooked up via component.
post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-01-10, 12:42 PM

When cancelling Shaw Direct in favour of MTS Ultimate, the CSR said "you realize they are cable, and their HD quality is not nearly as good as ours."

I said "that's not what I read."

She wouldn't back down, though. Nothing like lying to try to save a customer...
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-01-10, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John White View Post
When cancelling Shaw Direct in favour of MTS Ultimate, the CSR said "you realize they are cable, and their HD quality is not nearly as good as ours."

I said "that's not what I read."

She wouldn't back down, though. Nothing like lying to try to save a customer...
just shows how either ignorant or uneducated they are...
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 06:04 PM

Shaw Direct/Starchoice has been known for their top HD picture. The issues with MTS quality I believe is the usage of the streams can degrade the picture quality
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
Shaw Direct/Starchoice has been known for their top HD picture. The issues with MTS quality I believe is the usage of the streams can degrade the picture quality
there are no issues.......the issue was with random black flashes that have now stopped. I have family on Shaw and the is ZERO difference

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in